Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Elmira Police Report Multiple Violent Crime Arrests

According to Elmira Police Department, the following are updates to recent Elmira Police Department cases in which arrests have been made to combat violent crime. These investigations are a collaborative effort between Elmira Police Patrol Officers and members of the Chemung-Elmira G.I.V.E. Unit.

1) On July 11th 2023 Elmira Police Officers conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle in the 400 block of W Water St. Evidence of weapons possession was observed and a search warrant was obtained for the vehicle. A 9mm semi-automatic ghost gun, a high capacity magazine, and a .45 Glock handgun
with a ‘Glock switch’ were discovered. As a result, 20 year old Jayden Campbell was arrested for two counts of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the 2nd Degree.

2) On August 11th 2023 Elmira Police Officers checked an address on Juanita St after receiving information from NYS DOCCS. Subsequent to this investigation, 32 year old Elmira resident Chad Stanbro was arrested for Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the 2nd Degree after a loaded .44 special revolver was located. 

3) On September 21st 2023 Elmira Police Officers attempted a traffic stop on a vehicle in the 200 block of Franklin St. During the incident a passenger fled from the vehicle but was apprehended a short distance away. The passenger, 26 year old Elmira resident Tareek Simmons was arrested for
Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the 2nd Degree and Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the 3rd Degree after a quantity of narcotics and a .380 semi-automatic handgun were located.

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 7.10.01 PM.png

4) On October 29th 2023 Elmira Police Officers responded to the 200 block of W Miller St for reported gun shots. Through investigation, a suspect was developed and the case was presented to the Grand Jury of Chemung County. As a result, 26 year old Elmira resident Danny Durfee was indicted for Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the 2nd Degree.

5) On November 16th 2023 Elmira Police Officers responded to the 200 block of W Water St in the Downtown Business District for a reported strong-arm robbery. The victim reported physical injury and a theft of personal property. A suspect was developed and a 16 year old juvenile Elmira resident was arrested for Robbery in the 2nd Degree.

6) On December 13th 2023 Elmira Police Officers responded to the 600 block of Baldwin St for reported gun shots. Through investigation, a 9mm ghost gun with a ‘Glock switch’ and a high capacity magazine were recovered. The case was presented to the Grand Jury of Chemung County
and Zion James, an 18 year old Elmira resident was indicted for Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the 2nd Degree. A second undisclosed person holds an active Superior Court warrant for the same offense.

7) On December 15th 2023 Elmira Police Officers attempted a traffic stop in the 400 block of Pennsylvania Ave. The operator fled the stop and was apprehended in the immediate area. A quantity of narcotics and a .22 semi-automatic handgun were located. George Wilson, a 29 year old Elmira resident, was arrested for Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the 3rd Degree and Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the 2nd Degree.

It would be nice if these agencies were more transparent and reported the custody status of the offenders they spent tax money investigating. 

The media/public should remember that there's a reason why the legal system itself assumes that those who use "vague" language are trying to pull one over on someone.....Contra proferentem is a rule of contract interpretation that states an ambiguous contract term should be construed against the drafter of the contract.

(I think omitting that data is likely an indication that few, if any, were held. )

Also....I hope I'm not the only one who had to look up what G.I.V.E. stands for?

Gun Involved Violence Elimination (GIVE) Initiative find NYS info here

It looks like it's been around for 10 years but Elmira just started receiving money from them ($383,147 in June, 2023). 

Elmira and Chemung County are new additions to this 10-year-old initiative that now supports agencies in the 21 counties outside of New York City that face the most gun violence and violent crimes.

So, apparently Chemung County is rising in the "gun violence" rankings in the state?

Edited by MsKreed

21 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

I think omitting that data is likely an indication that few, if any, were held

I suspect you’re correct. Unless I see it written they were remanded to jail, I assume they got an appearance ticket and were turned loose.

This is New York State after all.