Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Hollywood Baffled About 20 Percent Decline In Moviegoing Since 2019

The Hollywood Reporter recently published an article warning of an “existential crisis” in Tinseltown, as domestic box office sales remain more than 20 percent down compared with 2019, the last year before the great COVID-19 panic decimated moviegoing. The report read:

One out of every five moviegoers has vanished since the pandemic, according to research compiled by one Hollywood studio. Whether they’ll ever return to see a film on the big screen is anyone’s guess— and, if they do, when.

It’s an alarming stat that offers some explanation as to why the box office turned on its head in 2023, leaving the film industry bewildered and befuddled.

Among the many epic box office flops listed were Marvel Studios’ The MarvelsThe Flash and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom by DC, Disney’s Wish, and Migration by Illumination/Universal.

Disney did especially poorly in 2023, ceding its seven-year-running box office crown to Universal.

The comprehensive, 1,700-word report provided a laundry list of excuses for the Silver Screen slump. I counted seven such justifications: pandemic recovery, “the same old franchise fare,” changing audience tastes, “superhero fatigue,” a lack of consumer interest in moviegoing, an “abundance of streaming product,” and no idea really.

Every reason under the sun, in other words, except the one staring all of us in the face: Hollywood went woke.

Read the rest here.

What do you think? Do you go to the movies less now than before? If so, why?

"Changing audience tastes"????

More likely some of the drastic changes to content DEI that don't align with audiences' existing/historical tastes": movies like Top Gun that stuck with 'winning' themes did just fine.

5 hours ago, Elmira Telegram said:

Do you go to the movies less now than before? If so, why?

No change here....but I've never been a box office movie-goer.

Like....not since my first VCR.  I can't justify the "need" to see anything when it's released. I'd much rather wait and watch it at my leisure on my own time schedule than pay exorbitant prices for tickets and snacks....and then risk missing something relevant to the story because I can't even pause for a bathroom break. 

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, MsKreed said:

No change here....but I've never been a box office movie-goer

I really haven't either, at least when it comes to movies outside the Star Wars and Marvel Comics family. Those you kinda HAVE to go to asap some some idiot online doesn't spoil it for you. ( I'd still love to strangle the little shit who yelled out "_____ _____ dies at the end of _____!" ) There's also my dislike of being around ignorant people that coincides the increasing number of them... it's a far more relaxing and enjoyable experience to stay home and watch it on TV. 

More likely some of the drastic changes to content DEI that don't align with audiences' existing/historical taste

There is that too. I'm there to be entertained, not lectured or whatever. Tell the frickin story, leave the politics and social causes out of it. Unless of course that's the main subject matter. If there happens to be a same sex couple in the story, okay, cool. Andor comes to mind. Hell, I didn't even make the connection about the two women at first. When I did it was just, "Oh okay, that makes sense."That's storytelling done right. 

I can't even pause for a bathroom break

yYeah thats a big one for me, and a struggle every time we go to the movies. How does one pick what seems like the best time to go? LOL