Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Gardening 2024

After a couple years of complaining about them overtaking things, i finally moved the hostas to a section of the yard where I don't care how big they get. In their place will likely go some perennials or something, I don't know. I think I'm going to have to re-plant the black eyed susans that were there; last year's freeze seems to have done them in, they never came back at all. 

I need to spray the fruit trees for fire blight, and will, just as soon as I get a day that isn't too windy or there's no rain in the days right after. 

Also, I have WAY more seed potatoes than will fit in the garden bed. So what I've been doing is piling used/dirty hay in a section of the yard we don't even see. There I'll just stick whatever is leftover in the hay and see what happens. We may end up with nothing, or we may end up with a bumper crop, only time will tell. 

I'd just like to brag for a moment that I managed to not only keep rosemary alive indoors all winter, but it did well!

That's all.  

Posted (edited)

🤔… we will be starting over on the herb garden ! 
As for potatoes, yeah , it will be one row this year . I have a root cellar full of them sprouting to the point of my fear that if I stay down there too long they may get violent and drag me in … 

Edited by Hal

I took a look at the 10 day forecast:

Screen Shot 2024-05-13 at 9.35.31 AM.png

I don't see any threat of frost between now and Memorial Day weekend, when I planned on planting in the field. I think we'll go ahead and prepare to do so, one, so I can get it off of my to-do list, but also to take advantage of the spring rains. 

I've already got lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, and some annuals planted as it is, may as well keep planting!

This fresh turned dirt really struck me as pretty this evening.

IMG_6455.jpeg

I need to get this planted so I can move on. Problem is it’s all I can did to keep up with the mowing lately. I turned this dirt in a light sprinkle, just to get it done and kill some grass trying to come up through.

Hopefully this weekend. 

So today I started picking rocks in preparation of planting these damned wildflower seeds. I got a little less than 1/3 of the way in and suddenly remembered that picking rocks is arguably the most miserable task in all of agriculture. How I ever did it for two full days at $5/hr years ago is beyond me. ( Although even years later the farmer told anyone who would listen, "He picked rocks all day and never complained." And as I told her, I did, she just didn't hear me. )

So realizing that I was ona fast track to complete destruction of my back for the forseeable future, I decided to hell with it. They're wildflowers, they should be able to grow with some rocks in the ground. Seed goes in, or rather on, the ground tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 6:36 PM, Chris said:

So realizing that I was ona fast track to complete destruction of my back for the forseeable future, I decided to hell with it. They're wildflowers, they should be able to grow with some rocks in the ground.

This turned out to be a false statement. 

Screen Shot 2024-05-20 at 10.55.00 AM.png

I was a little concerned about the chickens foraging through there and getting some of the seed. Of course in 5# of seed even if they do, it shouldn't be a big deal. But watching them, I think they passed over most of them while in there this morning. I believe tamping the seeds down into the soil has something to do with that.

Unlike some seeds, wildflower seeds need to remain uncovered to get the sunlight. But they also need to be tamped in a little for good seed to soil contact.