TTL News

Motorcyclist Killed In Crash On I-86

HORSEHEADS – One person was killed this morning after a motorcycle crash on Route 86 in the Town of Horseheads. 

According to the Chemung County Sheriff’s Department, at around 8:19 this morning deputies were dispatched to the area just east of the South Main Street on ramp prior to the State Route 13 overpass. 

When they arrived on the scene, deputies located witnesses to the crash who advised that the motorcycle, a blue 2007 Yamaha R6, was driving erratically and at a high rate of speed prior to the accident. As the motorcycle approached the area of South Main Street/ I-86 on ramp, another vehicle had already merged on to the highway. The motorcyclist reportedly accelerated rapidly and passed the vehicle on the right hand shoulder of the highway, which caused him to lose control of the motorcycle. At that time, the motorcycle crossed the highway, striking a concrete “Jersey barrier” and the driver was ejected from the motorcycle, landing in the roadway.

Read more here.

• Sad 1

I noticed that the Sheriff's press release last evening had the words "crotch rocket" in parenthesis next to the motorcycle name.  I'm probably going to hell & I'm sure his family is devastated but certainly it was eventually inevitable that something like that would happen.    It's more than likely sheer luck that he didn't take another person out with him.  

Those crotch rockets speed by my house so fast that all you hear is a high-pitched whine when they go by in a blur.  We keep waiting for something like that to happen.  More likely by a deer in this neighborhood.

1 hour ago, KarenK said:

I'm sure his family is devastated but certainly it was eventually inevitable that something like that would happen.    It's more than likely sheer luck that he didn't take another person out with him.  

When I saw the report, I shook my head and couldn't help but silently think of the quote: "play stupid games, win stupid prizes"

1 hour ago, KarenK said:

Those crotch rockets speed by my house so fast that all you hear is a high-pitched whine when they go by in a blur.  We keep waiting for something like that to happen.  More likely by a deer in this neighborhood.

I have the exact same worry when they zip past my house.

Hopefully it would "just" be a deer and not some unfortunate resident turning in/out of their driveway. Either way..... the aftermath images are a not something a bystander should have to live with.

Edited by MsKreed