Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Clemons Center Parkway

For a long time, I have been concerned about the Clemons Center Parkway, but I have hesitated speaking about it for what seemed like a lack of public interest in it. Now that I am a candidate for mayor and the public has shone concern about the danger of the speedway, I would like to propose a project for its future that I have had in mind for several years.

Have a look at the highway. It goes nowhere, just peters out and appears to have no meaningful reason for existence. In fact, it was built, like many such highways–in Philadelphia, Baltimore, New Orleans, Syracuse, Rochester, New Haven, to name a few–to separate the city based on race and socio-economic status. It has broken the fabric, the sense of unity and cohesiveness, of Elmira, with a resultant decline in the value of community. The effect has also contributed further to the decline of Elmira’s downtown, creating the feeling that Elmira is a drive-through city, not a destination. One of the results is what no one wants and is one of the factors that destroy cities: speed.

If you think about how the east side of Elmira has developed over the years, you have to ask yourself: what good has the separation from the downtown done for these communities? or perhaps more appropriately, how has the parkway contributed to their decline? Likewise, look at the downtown core around the parkway. Does it make you feel good? comfortable? Do you find it attractive? Do you want to cross the road? to linger there? Does it not strike you as a scar on an otherwise charming cityscape?

The road–it is no longer a street, after all–has nothing to justify its existence. Besides having destroyed the fabric of community and of a cohesive downtown, it has far less traffic than, for example, Church Street.

On the other hand, it has retained a natural and beautiful landscape and offers great potential for reinvigorating the City. I propose, therefore, that we reduce the highway to a 2-lane street, that we re-instate a stately State Street, where business and beauty can coalesce and create a walkable, viable center. In addition, I would like to see a extension of Eldridge Park all the way to the Steele Library. There is perhaps no greater impetus to downtown revitalization and community development that we could initiate now. Let’s turn Elmira from an unfriendly drive-through to an inviting, warm, appealing and thriving drive-to.

2 hours ago, jimhassell4mayor@gmail.com said:

The road–it is no longer a street, after all–has nothing to justify its existence.

I disagree. It serves as a rapid means to get from the Pennsylvania border in one of two ways, ( Route 14 South at Bulkhead or via Route 328 to Millerton ) to Elmira Heights ( and beyond ) without having to deal with a traffic light every city block.

Screen Shot 2023-08-29 at 12.57.42 PM.png

Think about all the tractor trailers backing up traffic if it weren't there. I can't think of anything that would cause me to avoid the area even more. 

2 hours ago, jimhassell4mayor@gmail.com said:

the public has shone concern about the danger of the speedway,

It's not the parkway that's the problem. The public, including pedestrians, need to learn how to follow traffic laws both on the parkway and throughout the city. 

Crossing the street, at night, wearing dark clothes is suicidal. Yet all throughout the city, people do it on bicycles and walking. No regard to anyone else, just ride or walk wherever they please thinking the world will stop for them. Until it doesn't. 

I will agree, traffic does need to slow down. The speed limit is 40mph, same as on Lake Road in the Heights. Same as Miracle Mile in Horseheads (also a four lane ). Yet more people are killed on perhaps a mile stretch of Clemens than anywhere else. If anyone wonders why, just go back and re-read that last paragraph above.