Sign in to follow this  
Chris

MTV's First Two Hours - August 1, 1981

( This note is attached on Youtube: 

EDIT: Had to remove about 3.5 mins of this due to a claim by "April Wine"...I really tried to get them to understand that this was an historical archive, not an attempt to steal money from their band....They didn't want to hear it...All the other artist were totally ok with this but "April Wine" said FU. Go Figure : / EDIT: EDIT: Video was taken down again because Cliff Richard suddenly decided that I was ripping him off and shut down the video...I wrote back trying to get him to change his mind but no deal, had to chop Cliff out of the video for it to be posted again. Sorry everyone.

• Like 1

I love that commercials are included here. 

I don't think I even heard of MTV until 1983 or 1984 after seeing it at my aunt's apartment. Apparently, that wasn't unusual and was why they did the "I want my MTV" slogan. They'd run ads with that in markets MTV wasn't available and America's youth would start calling the cable providers saying it. 

A great book about MTV is I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution by Rob Tannanbaum and Craig Marks. I may have to re-read it sometime soon. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I love that commercials are included here. 

I don't think I even heard of MTV until 1983 or 1984 after seeing it at my aunt's apartment. Apparently, that wasn't unusual and was why they did the "I want my MTV" slogan. They'd run ads with that in markets MTV wasn't available and America's youth would start calling the cable providers saying it. 

A great book about MTV is I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution by Rob Tannanbaum and Craig Marks. I may have to re-read it sometime soon. 

Was this something you were able to watch when we went from two snowy channels to PrimeStar satellite channels around 1994?

Edited by Ann

37 minutes ago, Ann said:

Was this something you were able to watch when we went from two snowy channels to PrimeStar satellite channels around 1994?

In 1994? It was. 

Now it's complete trash, I don't even know why they keep the name MTV - there's no music.