TTL News

Penn Yan's "Spotted Duck" Crowned Best Ice Cream Shop In America

You may know the best place to get ice cream in your town, but what about the ultimate scoop shop in all of America? One viral content creator set to find out this summer and made the most delicious discovery in Upstate New York. 

Cohen Thompson, a Texas A&M student and his band of college buddies, set out on a challenge to find the best ice cream in the nation. They took their over 800k cumulative social media followers across YouTube, Instagram and TikTok along for the journey through 48 states in 48 days, documenting every frosty bite.

One ice cream shop reigned supreme, thanks to its fresh ingredients and unique flavors. 

The Spotted Duck Creamery in Penn Yan was crowned the best ice cream in the lower 48 states. Thompson traveled back to the Finger Lakes to present the honor to owner Sam Solomon, with one catch.

The award came with the offer to pit their freshly made flavors against ice cream either Alaska or Hawaii. Solomon accepted the challenge on camera and agreed to go head-to-head with the Aloha state.

Read more here.

We stopped there once a couple years ago. The ice cream is pretty good, a creamier texture, which I'd say is from the fact they're using duck eggs. They have a ton of flavors, so I'd recommend getting a "flight" of scoops and try more than one!

There's also all the ducks and other animals they have right there for folks to see. Cool place.

3 hours ago, Chris said:

We stopped there once a couple years ago. The ice cream is pretty good, a creamier texture, which I'd say is from the fact they're using duck eggs. They have a ton of flavors, so I'd recommend getting a "flight" of scoops and try more than one!

There's also all the ducks and other animals they have right there for folks to see. Cool place.

It's frozen custard made from duck eggs.  Different ingredients than Ice Cream.  Getting custard as a kid was a treat and most ice cream shops don't do frozen custard.  That place is on our radar for a road trip in a few weeks.