TTL News

Governor Hochul To Propose Term Limits For Governor And Other State Offices

At a press conference yesterday, Governor Kathy Hochul  announced a plan to institute term limits for the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General and Comptroller as the first proposal of the 2022 State of the State.

The Governor will also propose a ban on outside income for statewide elected officials while serving in office. The governor's office says these reforms are aimed at increasing accountability and trust in the integrity of State government.

“On day one as Governor, I pledged to restore trust in government and I have taken steps every day to deliver the open, ethical governing New Yorkers deserve,” Governor Hochul said. “I want people to believe in their government again. With these bold reforms, we will ensure New Yorkers know their leaders work for them and are focused on serving the people of this state.”

The Governor will introduce a constitutional amendment to set limits of two consecutive terms for statewide elected officials. Governor Hochul will also propose legislation to impose a ban on earned outside income for the same statewide elected officials, with an exception for academic positions that must receive ethics board approval. 

4 hours ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

The Governor will introduce a constitutional amendment to set limits of two consecutive terms for statewide elected officials.

Right, like they'll vote for this.

Sounds great though I suppose. Much like some of our county candidates in 2018, it'll suddenly not be a priority come mid-November. 

• Like 1

So many folks we elected were using this as their platform.  Never heard a peep from any of them afterwards.  Including our county legislature.

21 minutes ago, KarenK said:

So many folks we elected were using this as their platform.  Never heard a peep from any of them afterwards.  Including our county legislature.

I can show you one who did a complete 180 on his stance pre and post.