Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Dangerous Nostalgia: Why Romanticizing The 1950's And 1960's Won't Get Us Anywhere

I’ve always felt we — the collective we — tend to underemphasize how our post-war economy dominated the globe after World War Two. For a generation, we basically had no major industrial competitors. We know this. We intuitively understand what happened to Europe and Japan, but we forget how it so strongly impacted our own domestic economy, lives and cities.

As a result, we romanticize an era that wasn't normal. It wasn't normal to drop out of high school and walk into a great job.  It wasn't normal that everyone gets a house, a car and free infrastructure to their front door. It wasn’t normal that we basically made everything for the world. The list goes on and on. Our baseline shouldn’t start in 1946.

It also doesn't matter what your own personal political tendencies are. Both sides of the aisle still hold onto narratives and vestiges of that time period.

Read the rest here.

What do you think?

I think growing up in the 1950’s and 1960’s was a lot easier on kids.  Our childhood lasted longer, at least, that’s how I remember things.