Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Texans To Aquire Stefon Diggs From Bills In Stunning Trade

The Buffalo Bills have reportedly found a new home for wide receiver Stefon Diggs.

Diggs will head to the Houston Texans in a blockbuster trade that ends a spectacular tenure the wide receiver had in Buffalo, ESPN reported Wednesday. It’s the second time Diggs has been traded in his career. The Bills initially acquired him from the Minnesota Vikings.

Buffalo will receive a 2025 second-round pick via the Vikings and the Texans will get a 2024 sixth-round pick and a 2025 fifth-round pick, according to the report.

Diggs emerged as a top receiver in the NFL once he was paired up with quarterback Josh Allen. He became a four-time Pro Bowler and was an All-Pro during his time in Buffalo. He had two seasons of double-digit touchdown catches and recorded four consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons, extending his streak to six consecutive years with the total.

In 2023, Diggs had 107 catches for 1,183 yards and eight touchdowns on his way to another Pro Bowl. But Buffalo was once again denied a chance for a Super Bowl appearance, thanks to a divisional round loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

It appeared Diggs signaled his time with Buffalo was coming to an end last month. He posted on X he was "ready for whatever."

Read more here.

I’m not freaking out about this as much as I see a lot of other people doing. Maybe it’s because I always keep in the back of my mind that for these guys, sure it’s what they love doing, but it’s also a business.

But Diggs is also getting older. And let’s be honest, last season wasn’t really what we’re used to seeing or expect come him.

Plus, while I know they tried their damndest to smooth over the fact Diggs wasn’t at training camp the first day and rumors of in-house trouble, where there’s smoke there’s generally fire. 

Buffalo must have their eye on someone coming up in the draft, so I’m not gonna get too worked up about this. I want to see what they do on the field. (Speaking of which, I’m thinking of driving up to training camp for a day, we’ll see.)

One day after the trade of Stefon Diggs was announced, new details are emerging on the wide receiver’s departure from the Buffalo Bills.

One national media member, Chris Simms, stated that Buffalo allowed Diggs to seek a trade with one caveat. He could not pursue a trade with the Kansas City Chiefs.

“From what I do know, is he was allowed to seek a trade from anybody in the league except the Kansas City Chiefs, Mike,” Simms told Florio. “That’s what I’ve been told by multiple people. He was allowed to do that. The Chiefs were the only team they weren’t going to trade to.”

Diggs did not land with the Kansas City Chiefs via trade, but it turns out that he could go there sooner rather than later. It was announced on Thursday that Houston voided the final three years of Diggs’ contract which will make him a free agent at the end of the season. If Diggs wants to play for Andy Reid and with Patrick Mahomes, there is now a path for him to do so as early as 2025.

Source

There's a lot of stuff leaking about the relationship between Allen and Diggs now:

But while Bills fan may not want to see Diggs in another uniform, there were rumors that he was on the trade block, and it’s not because of his contract situation. Talks of tension in the locker room, specifically with quarterback Josh Allen, have been made during his tenure. 

That argument was furthered by The Athletic’s Tim Graham during his "Tim Graham and Friends" podcast, where he recalled a situation that occurred between Diggs and Allen after the Bills' Week 1 overtime loss to the New York Jets. 

Graham said Allen sat in his locker at MetLife Stadium disappointed with the outcome of a game in which he threw three interceptions, but his teammates kept going up to him to show support. 

"Josh Allen was sitting there in full uniform with [backup quarterback] Kyle Allen, trying to console him, and a stream of players coming up, patting him on the back, dapping him up," Graham said. "… They were trying to pick the guy up, he had a towel draped over his head and he just sat there."

Then, Diggs approached Allen in his locker, and though Graham admitted not knowing what the receiver said, the quarterback didn’t respond well. 

"It’s one f---ing game," Allen said, via Graham, before motioning Diggs to move along. 

Source

There's also talk of Diggs believing that the Bills simply couldn't beat the Chiefs in the playoffs. Of cource he's sure to leave out his own part in that loss:

4a970dc44cf0c343ed1272fa948534af.jpeg

I'm not going to freak out about the trade. 

Interestingly, I also read that the stipulation was he couldn't go to the Chiefs. However I also read they just adhusted his contract to a one year deal. So after this upcoming season, he's a free agent and can sign on with Kansas City if he wants. Part of me thinks he's going to, if only ( in his own mind ) so he has a better chance of a SUper Bowl ring before he's too old.