Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Former Buffalo Bills Punter Matt Araiza Signs With Rival Kansas City Chiefs

Former Buffalo Bills punter Matt Araiza agreed to a one-year contract with the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday, ending his two-year NFL hiatus after he was accused of raping a 17-year-old girl in 2021.

The Bills drafted Araiza in the fifth round of the 2022 NFL Draft and released him four months later after details emerged from the alleged rape involving San Diego State football players. Araiza was dropped from the lawsuit in December of last year, improving his chances of landing another NFL opportunity.

Araiza worked out for the New York Jets in May of 2023 but the team elected to go in another direction. The 23-year-old released a statement through his agency JL Sports.

“I am proud and honored to sign a contract with the Chiefs. I am thrilled to be able to continue my NFL career,” Araiza wrote. “I want to thank my family, who have been my rock, and my many friends who have been unwavering in their support. I am excited to begin the next phase of my career with the Super Bowl Champs!”

Read the rest here.