Sign in to follow this  
Twin Tiers Living

NFL Open Chat

NFL executive vice president of football operations, Troy Vincent, told reporters on Thursday that the league won't pursue any proposals to ban the "tush push" quarterback sneak popularized by Jalen Hurts and the Philadelphia Eagles.

One of the concerns around the play was whether it offered an unfair advantage, though that was contradicted by the fact that it wasn't a universally successful maneuver and only certain teams (the Eagles) seemed to master it.

"The Eagles," Vincent acknowledged, "do it well."

The Eagles converted an incredible 37-of-40 quarterback sneaks last year, a 92.5 percent conversion rate. That success rate largely came down to the lower body strength of Hurts and a stout offensive line, led by former center Jason Kelce, a master of leverage.

Read more.

NFL owners have approved a rule proposal to ban the swivel hip-drop tackle, the league announced Monday.

The violation will result in a 15-yard penalty if flagged in games, but Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, strongly implied last week that it is likely to be enforced similarly to the "use of helmet" rule, which typically leads to warning letters and fines in the week after a game rather than flags during play.

The tackling technique often results in lower-body injuries. The rule requires officials to note two actions: If a defender "grabs the runner with both hands or wraps the runner with both arms" and also "unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body, landing on and trapping the runner's leg(s) at or below the knee."

Read the rest here.

L’Jarius Sneed’s jam heard ’round the NFL of Tyreek Hill didn’t escape the attention of Miami Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel. As the dust was still settling after the Dolphins’ 26-7 Wild Card round loss to the Chiefs in frozen Kansas City, McDaniel called out Hill during a team meeting. He cued up now-famous footage of Sneed pile-driving Hill to the ground before he could even begin his route on one of many failed Dolphins plays in that game.

What Miami Dolphins’ Mike McDaniel Said About Tyreek Hill

“Everybody see the play against the Chiefs that the [explicit] jammed me to the floor?” Hill said recently on the Million Dollaz Worth of Game podcast, “He called me out. He was like, ‘Reek, bro, you’re supposed to be [explicit] best player in the [explicit] league, and you got this guy putting hands all over you like that. We pay you all this money, for what?'”

Kudos to McDaniel for speaking an uncomfortable truth. Hill, aside from his 53-yard touchdown catch, was invisible against his old team on that frozen January evening.

See more here.

"I think we're good at 17 now," Goodell said. "But, listen, we're looking at how we continue. I'm not a fan of the preseason." Then, gesturing toward a group of fans assembled nearby, Goodell said, "And I don't think these guys like it either." He continued: "The reality is, I'd rather replace a preseason game with a regular-season game any day. That's just picking quality. If we get to 18 and 2, that's not an unreasonable thing."

Adding an additional regular-season game could, theoretically, result in a second bye week being added, which would lengthen the regular season. But Goodell would welcome that, he said, as he envisions a Presidents Day weekend built around the Super Bowl on Sunday night.

"And then you have Monday off," Goodell said.

Read the rest here.

What do YOU think about this idea?

I realize not everyone has President's Day off, but I do, and would welcome this. 

As for how many games, I'd say that's something the players should have more say in. 

Goodell also spoke about a future increase to the number of games played internationally, saying he envisions as many as 16 regular-season games being played abroad, perhaps, within the next 10 years.

This I am against. It's nuts to expect these teams to travel internationally and perform well on the field. Add to that the quality of the turf being different, and you could have a situation like what happenes to Matt Milano last year all over again. 

One of the most notable contracts recently is that of Jared Goff, who has just become the Detroit Lions’ highest-paid player in history. Adam Schefter reports that Goff agreed to a four-year extension worth $212 million, with $170 million guaranteed, translating to an annual income of $53 million. 

Despite the rising salaries around him, Allen has been known for his discretion and preference for handling contract discussions privately. Yet, with the quarterback market exploding, there’s little doubt that private discussions might be ongoing regarding a deserved pay increase.

Read more here

• Like 1

The Buffalo Bills and veteran wide receiver Marquez Valdez-Scantling have reportedly agreed on a one-year contract to bring the two-time Super Bowl winner to the AFC East, according to multiple reports.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the deal could be worth up to $4.5 million and comes with a $1.123 million signing bonus.

Source

The NFL has not been shy in its pursuit of making its games as widely available as possible. On Wednesday, the league took another step toward its goal by striking a three-year deal with streaming giant Netflix.

The NFL's 2024 Christmas Day doubleheader will be available exclusively to Netflix subscribers at no extra cost. The Pittsburgh Steelers will host the reigning two-time Kansas City Chiefs in one of the two holiday games, according to Bleacher Report.

The Christmas Day matchups will be officially announced when the NFL releases its full schedule on Wednesday evening.

Source

It's getting a bit ridiculous, all the various places you have to go to watch a damned football game. But to subscribe to Netflix for it? Goodell can stick that in his ass. 

This is pretty awesome:

Screen Shot 2024-05-20 at 12.44.07 PM.png

In case you're wondering, the second one is on his other wrist. 

Billy Price, a veteran NFL center and first round draft pick in 2018, announced his retirement on social media this weekend after revealing that he underwent emergency surgery last month to remove a blood clot. 

The 29-year-old pro posted the announcement on his Instagram. He said he suffered "an unprovoked pulmonary embolism," and decided to retire because of the risk of internal bleeding.

Source

DALLAS (AP) — Larry Allen, one of the most dominant offensive linemen in the NFL during a 12-year career spent mostly with the Dallas Cowboys, has died. He was 52.

Allen died suddenly on Sunday while on vacation with his family in Mexico, the Cowboys said.

Source