Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

50 Best Fishing Lures Of All Times

The Rapala Original Floating Minnow was developed in the 1930s. By the early 1960s, thanks to its inclusion in one of the best-selling issues of Time magazine in history, just about every angler in America was casting one. More than 90 years later, you can still buy this fishing lure, and it’s still catching loads of fish. It is an all-time classic, after all. However, while there are many other lures that can be lumped in with the Floating Minnow, the sport of fishing is constantly evolving. There are more lure companies now than there have ever been, so, when compiling a list of the best fishing lures ever made, focusing just on classics like the Floating Minnow is a disservice.

To create this list, I considered many aspects of both new and old lures. If a company improved upon an old design in a meaningful way, it could make the cut. If a company used cutting-edge technology to create a lure that was truly revolutionary, it deserved a spot. The point is: Longevity alone doesn’t make something the best. It might make it proven, but it also may have inspired a newer lure that’s more popular or catches more fish. I strove to bring together the old and the new and cover every type of angling with this list. Did I miss something? Probably. Will you disagree with a few picks? Most likely. But I’m confident in saying that if you incorporate any of my selections for the best fishing lures into your arsenal, you’ll be happy with the results.

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 10.08.28 AM.png

Clockwise from top left: The Zoom Super Fluke, Rapala Original Floating Minnow, Heddon Super Spook, and Rebel Pop-R are four of the most versatile lures ever. Jarren Vink

Berkley Gulp! Minnow

Why it Made the Cut The Gulp! Minnow is so potent, it practically eliminated the need for anyone to buy live shiners.   

Key Features

• Strong scent attractant
  • Split tail

Pros

• Can be presented a multitude of ways
  • Great tail action

Cons

• Expensive
  • Gets destroyed easily

When Berkley unveiled their Gulp! line in the early 2000s, it changed fishing. Featuring a patented, super-secret scent formula, anglers quickly figured out that the company wasn’t kidding when they touted the product as better than live and natural bait. The Minnow was one of the earliest offerings in the line-up, and nearly 20 years later, it’s still catching everything under the sun. The Gulp! Minnow is available in several sizes, so whether you’re after crappies, big bass, or redfish, there’s a Minnow that fits the bill. The beauty of this lures (or maybe bait is a better description) is that there’s really no wrong way to fish it. Pin one on a jighead and bounce it off the bottom for walleyes. Hang it under a float and let it drift around for crappies. Cast one on a single hook and let it slowly fall like a dead shiner for pike. Stick one on a bucktail jig as a trailer and send it down for snappers. The scent is so powerful fish will find it fast. The downside to Gulp! Minnows, however, is that a bag of them costs significantly more than similar unscented soft-plastic baitfish. It’s just that the Gulp! is so much more effective, anglers all over the world are willing to pay up.

See the rest here.

Is there a lure you're fond of that hasn't made the list? Maybe one that did isn't so great? Let us know!

It seems like any tackle box I've ever owned has always had a Daredevle spoonr in it:

Screen Shot 2023-06-06 at 10.49.17 AM.png

And I've never caught a damn thing using it. 

Sign in to follow this