Sign in to follow this  
Linda Roorda

Sewing, Quilting, etc.

Finished a new quilt for my husband to enjoy in his recliner. Started with a center panel, bordered by 2" dark blue edging, then added more fabric that meshed well - panel and fabrics had been donated over the past few years from 4 different people and they all mesh as if bought together, plus backing of my own! Quilted center flag/eagle with 2" diamond design - i.e. using yardstick and quilting ruler, mark with masking tape 2" diagonal lines as guides for sewing each quilting seam, creating a diamond pattern when done. Also used "stitching-in-the-ditch" where you sew in center of long seams and on some of the square straight lines like on the squares above and below eagle/flag on panel. Did not dare use spray basting to hold everything together as using that on a big cross log cabin quilt in Aug 2019, even wearing a carpenter's mask outside on the deck to spray it, I landed in the hospital for several days due to extreme dizziness, and learned that's a side effect of accidentally breathing in the spray. So, tho this quilt was pinned thru top layer, cotton batting inside, and back layer, things shifted some.  Border edgings I sew on by machine but then always sew it down by hand to the backing with a hidden stitch.  And as the Amish do, leaving mistakes as is just proves we are not perfect 🙂  Any other quilters out there?

IMG_5357.JPG

Edited by Linda Roorda
  • Like 1