TTL News

Elmira Landlords Respond To City's New Monthly "Worst Landlords" List

ELMIRA, N.Y. (WETM) – A new resolution by the Elmira City Council to publish a monthly list of “worst” landlords is being met with some concerns from landlords. Some say the resolution is unnecessary and sends the wrong message.

“First of all, I want to make sure everybody knows that I’m not against tenants, I actually like to work with tenants,” said Rickey Paul, President of the Chemung County Landlord Association. Paul is also a Licensed New York State Broker & Property Manager for his company “REP Home Sales & Services” located in Downtown Elmira.

Paul says the Chemung County Landlord Association holds monthly meetings to educate landlords on the right way to manage properties and keep landlords up to speed on current codes and laws. 

“We are not for landlords that are not doing the right thing. This is why we try to bring education.

Paul says the association also connects tenants with resources if they fall behind on rent.

“The last thing we would like to do is go to court and evict people. I want that to be put on record,” said Paul.

See the rest here.