Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Analysis: Bill Belichick Was Passed Over This Coaching Cycle, But Don't Count His Career Over Yet

Bill Belichick has won more Super Bowls than any coach and more games than everyone except Don Shula.

Still, he didn’t land a new job.

One theory why Belichick didn’t get hired is that he still wants full control over personnel decisions like Patriots owner Robert Kraft gave him in New England after he won his third Super Bowl. 

Belichick said in his departure from the Patriots that he was open to a more traditional front-office structure in which a general manager had final say. But a person informed of Belichick’s discussions with the Falcons told the AP he still wanted full control. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the conversations were private. 

“Things are changing in the NFL,” said ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi, who was a Pro Bowl linebacker in New England under Belichick. “There’s more talk about ownership and collaboration. It’s becoming more organic where everybody is involved and everyone’s voice is heard. I don’t know if you can win football games that way, honestly. Eventually, the head coach has to be able to say: ‘I hear ya but this is the way we’re gonna go.’ I haven’t talked to Bill recently but Bill’s track record is great enough of not only picking players and winning games and winning championships.”

Read the rest here.