Sign in to follow this  
TTL News Bot

M&M's Polarizing Spokescandies Are Taking A "Pause"

Last year, M&M’S unveiled a new look for all of its anthropomorphized chocolate characters to make them more relevant to young consumers. 

Most of the updates were subtle. But the change to Green’s shoes, from go-go boots to sneakers, caused outrage on social media, with many bemoaning the loss of the character’s signature look. A petition to “keep the green M&M sexy” garnered over 20,000 signatures. (M&M’S didn’t heed the plea, but did note in its statement on Monday that “even a candy’s shoes can be polarizing,” adding that “was the last thing M&M’S wanted since we’re all about bringing people together.”) 

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.13.24 AM.png

And then in September, M&M’S announced another change: A new female character, Purple, was joining the lineup (but not actual bags of candy) in another effort to make the group of spokescandies more inclusive. Purple was recently deployed as part of a limited-edition pack of purple, brown and green M&M’S — the colors of the female spokescandies — in honor of International Women’s Day. 

That move prompted another round of criticism.

Read the rest here.

Trying to make cartoon candy logos "more relevant" seems like it was a doomed endeavor from the get-go.

And one can only wonder how many people saw this whole marketing practice of being  “relevant” and threw the pkg back down on the shelf being tired of the “woke “ bullshit ?! It’s candy FFS ! 

Edited by Hal

I’ve only seen Tucker Carlson throwing a pissy fit over M&Ms, both the green shoes and something about the purple one being a peanut? Every other thing on social media was people mocking him for it. Sounds like he got what he wanted?

More likely than not is M&Ms is just starting to get ready for a Super Bowl ad campaign, and since last year the “outrage” over M&M shoes got people talking about them, they’re doing it over again. And it’s clearly working, since now it’s all over the place again

Edited by Andy

It must be nice to have nothing better to do or worry about but finding the next thing to be "outraged" against. From the mythical litter boxes in the schools to Mr. Potatohead, the source is usually one person, often someone who makes a living on our outrage culture. 

I don't care if the "green M&M" character is suddenly wearing pants with a huge bulge in the crotch. So long as the real candy isn't.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I’ve only seen Tucker Carlson throwing a pissy fit over M&Ms, both the green shoes and something about the purple one being a peanut? Every other thing on social media was people mocking him for it. Sounds like he got what he wanted?

More likely than not is M&Ms is just starting to get ready for a Super Bowl ad campaign, and since last year the “outrage” over M&M shoes got people talking about them, they’re doing it over again. And it’s clearly working, since now it’s all over the place again

Andy you know I would be the one to drop that M&M pkg … IF I had Control of that particular purchase ! 😆😂

What I sort of find ironic is when a company/entity makes a visible choice to publicly promote or “highlight” a concept....don’t they expect the public to notice and react?  The adage “all publicity is good publicity” seems to be in question now. LOL

Did we learn nothing from the New Coke debate in the 1980s? Sometimes people didn’t like the old stuff and will appreciate changes; others won’t like the new stuff and reject changes.

From when Spielberg erased the guns from ET back in 2002....to the Love Actually director now apologizing for casting whites.  From “Baby It’s Cold Outside” being vilified as ‘rape culture’.....to Land O’ Lakes or M&Ms changing their ad imaging.

Am I the only one who feels like the whole ping-pong match of “diversity/inclusivity” promotions and "offensiveness & outrage" reactions has been exponentially accelerating for a while?

29 minutes ago, Chris said:

It must be nice to have nothing better to do or worry about but finding the next thing to be "outraged" against. From the mythical litter boxes in the schools to Mr. Potatohead, the source is usually one person, often someone who makes a living on our outrage culture. 

I don't care if the "green M&M" character is suddenly wearing pants with a huge bulge in the crotch. So long as the real candy isn't.

And why is it that everyone of the small percentage of “ hurt” people need validation,” hey look at me … I’m different and you need to accept me “ bullshit ! Go out , be yourself whatever you want just leave me the hell alone as long as I am not hindering you ! But no … there you are flaunting what the hell ever you are in my face instead just let me have my space and I’ll leave you to yours ! In this case it’s candy … candy is now a “ trigger” ?! 
And yes some M&Ms do come through looking very 🤔umm , different 😆

9 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Am I the only one who feels like the whole ping-pong match of “diversity/inclusivity” promotions and "offensiveness & outrage" reactions has been exponentially accelerating for a while?

I keep hoping its a fad but if not this Country will be even further divided in sooo many ways ! From the “furries to , well whatever new quirk comes down the road ! 

6 hours ago, MsKreed said:

How much stock or ownership you think the conglomerates have in the U.S. media, or vice versa?

6 hours ago, Hal said:

In this case it’s candy … candy is now a “ trigger” ?! 

To someone looking to keep their ratings up, like Tucker Carlson, yeah, it is. Well, he's hoping it is for you or I. 

I assure you it isn't. It's whatever flavor the media chooses to serve up. For example:

5 hours ago, Hal said:

From the “furries to , well whatever new quirk comes down the road ! 

The furry culture is nothing new, it's been around for decades. And in many instances, it's not a bunch of perverts acting like animals. It's cosplay, the same as with Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. Sure you'll have a percentage that sexualize it, but again, the same with Start Trek, Star Wars, etc. 

Again, it's just something Tucker Carlson, Michelle Malkin, or whatever other twit needs to file an op-ed piece decides to drum up outrage about. There's not nearly as much substance as they'd like you to think. 

• Like 1

The furries reference just popped into my head while trying to come up with an example of the latest craze/ fad/fetish while the dog was signaling me she needed to go outside. But hell there are plenty out there to pick from so its an “ insert here “ type statement . 

16 minutes ago, Hal said:

The furries reference just popped into my head

Oh I know, and it probably did because it's the outrage de jour. Malkin, Carlson, et al just happened to glom on to it. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Oh I know, and it probably did because it's the outrage de jour. Malkin, Carlson, et al just happened to glom on to it. 

Actually I was talking to my brother about this awhile back , he had seen something In Ithaca and was telling me about it . Yes I watch Fox News but not Mallkin or Carlson … too intense for me . 

1. reminds me of this skit.

2. find it very ironic, in light of this skit, that she is now the spokeswoman( not that it offends me i lugh every time i see it)

3. Malkin et al may have glommed onto it, but id remind you there were folks of the port-persuasion that were outraged enough to yap about the M&M's not being inclusive....if we are going to call out crazy, lets at least be honest and fair about it, its not like CNN or MSNBC pay tolls on the high-road folks

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

id remind you there were folks of the port-persuasion that were outraged enough to yap about the M&M's not being inclusive....if we are going to call out crazy, lets at least be honest and fair about it, its not like CNN or MSNBC pay tolls on the high-road folks

Believe me I don’t need reminding. And  everything I’ve said about the right can and should be applied to the left. I don’t have time to give examples from both “sides” for the sake of appearing balanced. It’s all f—king stupid to me.

However I cited Tucker Carlson because he was the one most recently having a cow about the M&Ms and their attire. Likewise for Malkin and the dreaded “furries” that everyone suddenly realized exist.

As unwatchable as Tucker is.....the View is jaw-droppingly worse in their grasping for stuff to complain about. 

He weaves crazy speculative conclusion from random unrelated facts....they often just make up stuff that isn't remotely true, and their retractions show no remorse.  Most recently, poor Alec Baldwin is being crucified by a "far right MAGA" prosecutor.

I just saw something that said one of the M&M’s (not sure which one) identifies as a Skittle and that some gummy worms identify as bean sprouts.  Not losing any sleep. 

20 hours ago, Chris said:

Well the bulge would just be showing that its a peanut m&m

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

I just saw something that said one of the M&M’s (not sure which one) identifies as a Skittle and that some gummy worms identify as bean sprouts.  Not losing any sleep. 

Whatever is was surely was a satire page

8 minutes ago, Andy said:

Whatever is was surely was a satire page

Yes and I thought it summarized this whole “identity” BS perfectly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MsKreed said:

As unwatchable as Tucker is.....the View is jaw-droppingly worse in their grasping for stuff to complain about. 

He weaves crazy speculative conclusion from random unrelated facts....they often just make up stuff that isn't remotely true, and their retractions show no remorse.  Most recently, poor Alec Baldwin is being crucified by a "far right MAGA" prosecutor.

Not that it would do much good, but there should be serious thought put into disclaimers at beginning of related programs telling folks whether it is an actual news broadcast versus opinion show

• Like 1