TTL News Bot

Vaccine Mandates For Health Workers & The Possible Fallout

The Emergency Nurses Association has released the following statement in regards to those identifying themselves and nurses and disseminating misleading information pertaining to COVID-19:

266463412_277728011061169_4084466722478489729_n.jpg

• Like 1

I always cringe when I see nurses and even doctors sharing "their opinions" out there. Right or wrong, social media ain't the place for it.

18 hours ago, KarenK said:

I always cringe when I see nurses and even doctors sharing "their opinions" out there. Right or wrong, social media ain't the place for it.

It always gives me mixed feelings. 

In an informal "conversational" setting I don't have a problem with anyone, from any field or background, sharing their opinions.  If I'm weighing an gardening or automotive issue....I make take the source and topic under consideration if my farmer friend says X or my mechanic friend says Y, and possibly trust their advice more than a nurse in the family for those issues.  

Likewise, I may take interest in the nurse sharing "health" information.  Their profession "may" be a factor, and they may or may not offer sources that I can consider when weighing their opinion. Their title doesn't necessarily compel me to take their advice. 

Maybe the nurse raises poultry or bees as a hobby and is also a good resource for some agricultural questions. That happens, ya know!

When it comes to social media posts and even news stories, we often see credentials alone to make their case. That's different than a friend or acquaintance you know in whatever field....I'm getting as weary of seeing headlines, posts and editorializations that lean on the "according to experts" mantra as I am with the overuse of emotional arguments.

Aristotle outlined three “modes of proof” over 2,000 years ago:  Ethos, Pathos, and Logos

Ethos or the ethical appeal, means to convince an audience of the author’s credibility or character.

Pathos or the emotional appeal, means to persuade an audience by appealing to their emotions.

Logos or the appeal to logic, means to convince an audience by use of logic or reason.

I’ve always felt that Logos was the most valuable. And in recent years, we there seems to be far more Ethos and Pathos getting thrown around....and it would appear they’re much more convincing for a lot people.

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 1

I watched this video the other day and though wow, everyone freaking out and this variant appears to be morphing into more of a actual flu virus- sucks but you probably won't die or even get very sick.  This is the only thing I have seen on that research and it disappeared from their mainstream news.  Like they are trying to sweep the possibility of this not being so bad under the rug.  Just my thoughts

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2021/12/13/shabir-madhi-south-africa-omicron-infection-death-uncoupling-sot-cnni-vpx.cnn

• Like 1

It's been reported here and there as less severe (based on studies from South Africa &  Hong Kong), but there seems to be a strong inclination for experts and news outlets to reiterate that "it's too early to draw conclusions", with Fauci seeming to lead that narrative :

Fauci said that so far there didn't seem to be a "great degree of severity" to the Omicron variant, which has a high number of mutations in the part of the virus that attaches to human cells.

"But we really got to be careful before we make any determinations whether it's less severe" than Delta, Fauci said. The highly infectious Delta variant, which itself has mutations that help it avoid the immune response, is the most common variant in the US.

"Thus far, the signals are a bit encouraging" regarding Omicron's severity, Fauci said.

What strikes me as a bit contradictory here is that the same experts that insisted that a sampling of 43,000 was proof positive that the Pfizer vaccine was "greater than 90% efficacy at preventing disease" ....but with South Africa hitting tens of thousands of Omicron cases a day, they are now saying there's just not enough data on Omicron's severity.

1 hour ago, MsKreed said:

What strikes me as a bit contradictory here is that the same experts that insisted that a sampling of 43,000 was proof positive that the Pfizer vaccine was "greater than 90% efficacy at preventing disease" ....but with South Africa hitting tens of thousands of Omicron cases a day, they are now saying there's just not enough data on Omicron's severity.

This is true.  It's really not surprising that people have trouble believing anything anymore.