Chris

Riding Out The Storm: How Do You Deal With Weather Related Issues?

This most recent storm gave me the idea to start a chat about various ways people across the area deal with foul weather and the results of it such as power outages.

So tell us, what tips do you have nor what kind of preparations do you have in place for weather related emergencies?

Welp, since power outages happen in Erin when a squirrel farts in the woods I'm ready!  lol.  I have a drawer full of candles and an oil lamp which usually suffice.   We do have a generator however it weighs 500lbs and is out in the shed so no much help to me if I'm here by myself.  A whole house generator is on the bucket list.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KarenK said:

Welp, since power outages happen in Erin when a squirrel farts in the woods I'm ready!  lol.  I have a drawer full of candles and an oil lamp which usually suffice.   We do have a generator however it weighs 500lbs and is out in the shed so no much help to me if I'm here by myself. 

Basically the same. I think mine is only 300lbs, but may as well be 3,000 since I'm not a power lifter. 

We have candles and kerosene lamps.   Our kerosene heater works for heat in Winter but haven’t thought of something yet to help keep cool when power is out in summer.  Maybe some huge hand held fans like ancient slaves used…..Hubby can use to keep me cool 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KarenK said:

Welp, since power outages happen in Erin when a squirrel farts in the woods I

Bwahaa! Squirrel farts … thats nuts !! 

Edited by Hal

Need to get a battery operated fan since the wife won’t help me out with her making fan or AC sounds to help me sleep ! 
Always keep the I pod charged , constant Tinnitus in a power outage is the pits ! 
I should / could have gotten out the generator but it was bedtime anyway so in went the earbuds , helps some but Cpap machines don’t work so good without power … 

Other than that i usually have a few buckets of water for the “ throne “ and washing up . Water filter is always full anyway , crank-up radio ( thanks chris ) oh yeah , and of candles to watch TV by candle light ! 

8500W generator (200lbs, on wheels), several 10ga extension cords, big fat candles, UPS for the PC, a crank-for-power radio, battery powered radio, battery powered lanterns, flashlights, a kerosene lamp, a portable butane stove burner for cooking and heating water, Weber Smoky Mountain and a Weber kettle grill, dry woodpile for the fireplace, matches and a butane torch, hand fans (use all the time), always keep gasoline, kerosene, batteries, charcoal, and butane canisters on hand, and both vehicles rarely less than 3/4 tank. And most important... my kindle and my tablet.

Worst outage we've been through was Hurricane Isabel, 2003. Small for a hurricane, but took out a number of our trees and left us without power and hot water for 6 days. Didn't have the generator or butane stove burner, but we got by with an old Coleman camp stove and charcoal grill, and buying obscenely priced bags of ice. 

It does occur to me that I could hunker down in the RV anytime also.

As long as it has gas and I'm starting/running it often enough to not have a dead battery after it's sat ignored for several months. 

Living in the city I don't worry to much about extended power outages. I do have a 2nd battery for my cell phone to play music so I can sleep. I also have a small wood stove in the garage that could be brought into the house with the chimney out the window as emergency heat if needed.  I have a grill to cook on if needed. Other than that I would be out of work until power and internet was restored. 

Like the others, we have an oil lamp, and I intend to get another. If you're looking for one, the local hardware stores tend to have them if you look at the right time of year. Otherwise, you can get one from Lehmans ( their catalog is REALLY cool ). I have a couple liters of spare oil as well. Additionally we have a ton of candles. 

For heat, our back up is the propane fireplace. It does a nice job of heating the house. 

As mentioned, you can't go wring with a wind up radio. We have this Grundig model, and I was surprised to see it's been discontinued. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 5.50.51 PM.png

Maybe it was TOO good of a product. We've had ours for 15 years maybe more, and it is very reliable. We have some wind up lamps and flashlights as well

I have a five gallon container of water that's pretty stale by now, but it's still good for flushing the toilet or washing in. Of course we're surrounded by two creeks, so water is rarely an issue. 

When we remodeled the kitchen, I insisted on a gas stove. Electric ones don't work too hot in a power outtage!

• Like 2

Just now, Hal said:

Ours still works like a charm … 

And like I told you the other night, it had the best reception we get as well.

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

And like I told you the other night, it had the best reception we get as well.

Will definitely grab that from its hook for the next storm , that and some battery operated fans . Had it been earlier in the evening i would have wheeled the generator out . 

looking into propane fired standby generator, otherwise candles, flashlights, we do have one oil lamp. grill and gas stove and pool if water or quick rinse needed. we did have a small battery op fan for noise at night but figure worse to worse double up on percocet and a beer and tinnitus be damned!