Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Gardening 2023

By now the seed catalogs are likely showing up in your mailbox, and dreams of what to grow, what to try begin to fill our minds.

This year’s gardening megathread is now officially open, so let’s hear what you’re planning, doing, and harvesting throughout the year!

I put a lot of time and money into machine implements last year so main crop will be taters . Last year was Yukon Gold with a 10 to 1 yield , this year half Red potatoes and Golds . As we talked about earlier I think I like the Idea of Raised Bed redo as well . And Butternut squash of course .

• Like 1

Last year was a crappy year for potatoes all around.

I haven’t gotten any seed catalogs yet, but I got this for Christmas:

7A9C149F-8A26-45F4-A795-943E3F8EF11D.jpeg

I’m a fan of Joe’s shows, so started reading this the other day. 20 pages in and I started getting wild ideas about expanding the garden area in our yard as well as rebuilding bigger and better raised beds. I’m sure the current price of lumber will snap me back to reality!

Looks like 4x6s , i know some guys that have a very portable mill that can process lumbar right were you drop it ! Only thing is prepping them for ground use . Mine will need replacement too but I’m thinking corrugated roofing although I like his beds ! 

23 hours ago, Hal said:

Looks like 4x6s ,

It doesn't have to be exactly like he has in his garden, although Lord knows I would LOVE to have that spread. That lumber in the pic strikes me as cedar?

The most I'm gonna be able to reasonably do is replace the three beds I have now and then maybe add a 4th.  I'll check lumber prices and see what they're like as well. 

In addition, I'm thinking of maybe dropping a couple grape plants in the ground and see what happens with them. I certainly have the sun for them. 

Pretty sure your correct, cedar ! Expensive but lasts a long time . In my case maybe one new bed per year and just a total of maaaybe 4 ! 

This here’s what I’m talkin’ about!

18F5D109-1A04-4BF6-A3D2-137C4B576500.jpeg

I found some small greenhouses that will fit over these. So I saved this video with the idea to make some of these.

• Like 2

My seeds are ordered and on the way. I am planning on growing everything from seed this year. 

I got all mine from Baker Creek. 

• Like 1

Whats the go-to to keeping the critters out? I’ve wanted to put a few raised beds in myself. 

52 minutes ago, Jack said:

Whats the go-to to keeping the critters out? I’ve wanted to put a few raised beds in myself. 

Depending on how tall your beds are, a lot of critters may not bother with them. I don't think I've had any issues aside from raccoons getting at the corn now and then. 

I've used a spray called something like "DEER OFF" which contains a natural garlic, hot pepper and rotten egg compound. You can spray it on your plants until they start producing and it works well for rabbits as well. 

• Thanks 1

Someone suggested this to me in another website:

“You know what works really well instead of treated lumber, cedar fence pickets. You can get them here, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Outdoor...H-Cedar-Dog-Ear-Fence-Picket-327357/314521365

What we did was buy a 4x4x10, non treated, to make the corners and then cut the dog ear off the fence picket and ran two picket wide and two picket high. You could go higher if you felt the need to, but it's a good height for almost all types of veggies. Ours have lasted two seasons so far without a hiccup.
Here's the finished product. It's about $30 for each bed, which to me isn't very expensive. 

On 1/9/2023 at 9:29 AM, Chris said:

I'll check lumber prices and see what they're like as well. 

i think youve got plenty of lumber on your property we can drop and mill up fairly easily

8 hours ago, Adam said:

i think youve got plenty of lumber on your property we can drop and mill up fairly easily

I don’t want to have to replace these things every few years. Cedar or treated lumber will last longer.

My seeds arrived today and as always they threw in a free pack of seeds, but it's nothing I am interested in growing.  The package of spoon tomato seeds is free to anyone that wants to try and grow them.

https://www.rareseeds.com/spoon-tomato

Dad and I are each getting one of these this year to start replacing older beds:

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 10.26.30 AM.png

The reviews looked pretty good, and I like the overall look of them as well. 

My goal is to eventually have four of them, which would be one more bed than I have now. At the price, it'll have to happen over time, unless I hit The NY Times Best Seller's list or something. 

I'm transitioning out of livestock to more gardening. It's gonna be easier in the coming years. We'll have the goats of course, until they age out and die. We'll always have some laying hens, especially the way things are going ( and I suspect may worsen before they get better ). But feed and hay prices are just ridiculous enough that every penny has to matter. I'm only keeping the goats because giving them away would be like giving three little dogs away, and I found that I'm just too attached to them ( as they are me ). 

• Like 2

At the cost of making our own from cedar 4x4x8 at $48.00 ( if available) we could get three of these ! 

20 hours ago, Hal said:

At the cost of making our own from cedar 4x4x8 at $48.00 ( if available) we could get three of these ! 

No kidding. 

I still like the idea of those big beds like Joe Lampl has, but since I'm not filming a TV show, I can't write that expense off.

Well I finally received a seed catalog from Burpee in the mail. Can't believe it's the only one and that it took that long.

Seems awful late. I received mine at least a month maybe longer ago. 

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Seems awful late. I received mine at least a month maybe longer ago. 

The wife told me last night she ordered it for me. Guess she was tired of hearing me grumble about not having any. 🤣

• Haha 2

I just saw this:

9A6612BD-C2F2-4D28-99A7-B76900D4832F.jpeg

I can’t say if it’ll work or not, but it kinda makes sense. 

• Like 1

We will test this one out . Blossom end rot every other year and afraid to use this soil in the new raised bed . I was taught in Horticulture school not to plant tomatoes in the same soil where you had rot the year before but i’m not wasting soil i have built up over many years so I’m hoping this works . 

This pile has been there for years, containing shavings, chicken manure, goat manure, some straw, etc.:

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 9.46.47 AM.png

You don't even need to use your foot with the shovel once you're into the good stuff. I'm hoping that in addition to building up the depth of my soil, it'll add nutrients as well as hold moisture better. I think it'll work:

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 9.46.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 9.46.13 AM.png

Just need to get the new bed assembled and filled then start figuring out what to put in them. 

• Like 1

tried them a few years ago, planted in wrong spot and they died, been bugging me since...

so i ordered a pair of 5-6 foot paw-paw trees today. of course i thought it was three i had, the survivor being what is next to the back deck, then remembered nope, its a fig tree that will jut have to be decorative, i really want to try what a paw paw tastes like