Sign in to follow this  
TTL News Bot

Best Cover Songs

There's a lot of lousy covers of popular songs out there, just look at YouTube for evidence. But what do you consider the BEST cover song? The one that's done so well you want to forget ever hearing the original?

I'd never really listened to the original so I had to make sure I was correct. Yeah, I like this version better:

• Like 1

I need to brush up on cover songs but this one is my favorite by far ! Yes its a frog song but has some hidden messages . Here it is and you all must have heard it thousands of times ... okay 1000 +1 .

Thanks Chris ... 

Yep it’s a Frog Song covered by a Human ! 🤔😂

I can't quite say exactly why, but I really like these cover artists.  The fact that they play this in the Cavern Club is pretty cool.  And, as evidenced in some of their other covers, the red head can do something that Harrison couldn't:  sing and play lead at the same time.  Yup.  I just went there ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be remiss if I didn't share this one. I can't even listen to the original by Nine Inch Nails. 

• Sad 1

If you haven't seen this version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", you're welcome. 

It's interesting what you'll read in the comments sometimes. I didn't realize there was controversy over this performance, but apparently the first lead guitar player was kind of an ass:

A good friend of mine was P’s Guitar Tech for some years around this time and was working this very show. He was told that when he caught the guitar at the end, he was to give it to Oprah Winfrey. (In the original broadcast it cut to her looking bemused and astounded.) It DID come back down people...LOL There was just one rehearsal the night before the show proper, and Marc Mann basically ran riot over the two spots Prince was originally asked to take (middle and end solos). Despite concerns and apologies from the Production team, he ( Prince ) was nothing but gracious about it, and told them not to worry and it would all work out fine. As we know, it did - and then some.

As for talk of Petty being pissed at him, not true. Yes, there’s one camera shot that seems like Petty looks annoyed, but not so. Watch closely, and in the next few bars they’re both smiling and nodding at each other, knowing this is “a moment” that should be relished as they were all in the zone doing George’s song such beautiful justice.

Finally, regarding the “showboating” that some people talk of, Prince was actually a major practical joker. Earlier that night, he noticed Dhani seemed in a somber mood - whether it was the occasion, thinking of his Father or both, Prince told him that he was going to make it his mission to put a smile on his face by the end of the evening. So when you see Prince fall backwards off the stage into the brace of his bodyguard, if you watch, you’ll see Dhani burst out laughing. That moment was for him. Nobody else. Amongst everything else going on that evening, and during the middle of a performance like that, Prince wanted to lift someone up. THAT’S what that whole thing is about.

I read another article that even the guys on stage didn't see where the guitar went. 

I Will Always Love you, by Whitney Houston. Written by Willie Nelson and originally released by Dolly Parton. 

o

• Like 1

I don't think Willie wrote this one. My understanding is Dolly wrote it for Porter Wagoner as she was trying to come out from his shadow and set out on her own. Maybe you're thinking "Crazy", which he did write and originally release, but was later done by Patsy Cline?

Anyhow, I was never a huge fan of Houston's cover, preferring the original. I always felt like it lacked the heartfelt message the song intended. Like, it was more about Houston's big voice more than the message. I could be wrong though. 

2 hours ago, Chris said:

I don't think Willie wrote this one. My understanding is Dolly wrote it for Porter Wagoner as she was trying to come out from his shadow and set out on her own. Maybe you're thinking "Crazy", which he did write and originally release, but was later done by Patsy Cline?

You are right, I knew it didn't sound right when I typed. I agree that Dolly's version is more heartfelt, but Dolly said she likes the remake, mainly because it made her a boatload of money

Here's a great one:

Interestingly, has an almost reverent attitude towards the song. In his liner notes on the new album Combs says:

“You want to just be mega-respectful of the song. That's why, in that song, it's like, ‘Work in the market as a checkout girl.’ I didn't change that in my version. I really want to just do the original version of the song. It's weird, because you're doing a cover of it and you say, ‘I don't want to make it my own, because I just really want to shine a light on the original version.’ Because I think there's so many people that maybe know that song or it would be familiar to them, but they really don't know anything about it. When I recorded this, literally the engineer in there asked me who I wrote that song with.”