Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Harris Hill Soaring: Visiting One Of The Oldest And Largest Glider Clubs In America

There’s a feeling of community and support that permeates Harris Hill Soaring.

From a tourism lens, yes they offer unforgettable rides to the public above the skies of Elmira, New York, with views extending across the Finger Lakes region. However, what struck me was how many members I talked to that explained to me how much Harris Hill Soaring had offered them in their lives, how it had changed their lives, and how they were hoping to pay it back.

I stood on the runway beside some of the instructors watching gliders being towed high into the sky, and they pointed me over to a car sat right next to the runway. They were pointing to a locally revered man in his 80s, affectionately known as “Corky.” He was a former Air Force pilot who shows up many days, just to help things flow along, and to offer his insight.

At its core, this place is a treasure trove of knowledge sharing. There’s a reverence and respect for those who have flown, and a dedication to help others do much the same.

While some people aim to use this place as a pedestal to achieve their pilot dreams, you can always simply just come up here for a ride, and meet some of these pilots in the literal best way possible. I had a whole new appreciation for this program once I saw the pilots in action, so knowledgeable and in control.

Harris Hill Soaring, in the end, is a place for everyone.

Read more here.