Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Where Are The Honeybees?

Is there an exceptional lack of honeybees this year? I didn't really notice until a neighbor texted me to ask that question. I hadn't really paid it much attention until she brought it up and it's got me thinking. I'm not really seeing honeybees like I would expect to this time of year. 

in my mowing i have noticed they did not seem to be as prevalent as in the past. former co-worker caught two swarms this week, though it was from their own hives....

Yeah same here. They’d normally have been working the dandelions and I didn’t see any. I don’t know that I’ve seen a honeybee at all yet.

I have an idea that , on keeping track , everything seemed to tuck back in during the cold snap . Our apple trees held back blossoms as did most trees , dandelions came on a little late as well . But when the tres started blossoming the bees ignored dandelions for the most part , heading into the woods to get to the Maples , Locust etc . Everything just seems to be about two weeks late this year .