Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

Should We Bring Back "Victory Gardens"?

During World War II the nation fell on hard times. With fresh fruits and vegetables in short supply, food needed to be rationed and the government ultimately turned to the citizens to do their part to keep the nation fed. Families on the home front were encouraged to “put their idle land to work” and to produce “victory” gardens to combat the food shortage.

Slogans such as “Dig for Victory,” “Every War Garden is a Peace Plant,” “Sow the Seeds of Victory,” and “Uncle Sam Says, ‘Garden to Cut Food Costs’” covered pamphlets. People quickly realized it was their national duty to participate.

In 1943, nearly forty percent of all fruits and vegetables grown in the US were grown in victory gardens. There were gardens planted in backyards, empty lots, and on the top of city rooftops. Neighbors and communities worked together and formed cooperations. Even schools got involved to provide supplemental food for lunches. An estimated 20 million victory gardens were planted, with about 9–10 million tons of fruits or vegetables harvested. Even Eleanor Roosevelt took part by planting her own victory garden at the White House in 1943.

What Were Victory Gardens?

Victory Gardens, also called “war gardens” or “food gardens for defense” were gardens planted by ordinary citizens during World War I and World War II to provide some relief in the public food demands.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 10.20.33 AM.png

Read the rest here.

What do you think?

Water, food and shelter. People should know how to go about providing themselves with all three at the drop of a hat. So anything that can motivate or help people and communities get themselves to that level is all good, although many people will have zero interest until they're confronted with prolonged shortages and/or substantially higher prices. I also like the idea of rural and suburban property owners making gardening space available to people, for free, rent or lease. (We've had our smallish 20x50 garden for almost 25 years now. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, snow peas, kabocha (a winter squash), daikon (Japanese long radish), satoimo (taro), and a few leafy vegetables. However, admittedly, without my wife, I'm likely to go very hungry... I believe I have herbicide in my DNA.)

• Like 1

I agree Nick, we need to get back to people being more self-sufficient, even on a small scale such as a backyard garden.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick said:

. I believe I have herbicide in my DNA.)

🤔😆😂😂😉

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I LOL’d.

Same , couldn’t even think of a smart ass come back ... good job Nick !