Sign in to follow this  
TTL News Bot

A Timeline Of Local UFO Sightings

I found this article written by the staff at the Steele Memorial Library and thought it would be interesting to share. The layout of the article, while very well done, is a bit different so I'll only post a select part here then you'll have to go to their site to see the rest. 

Is there anything a librarian likes better than a look in an old card catalog? Maybe dresses with pockets, but it’s close. An Elmira native, and a past library volunteer, it wasn’t until I began working here 7 years ago that I found the old card catalog in the Genealogy & Local History section of the Steele Memorial Library was an index to Elmira newspaper articles from the 1920s to the mid-1990s, when the catalog went online. (Yes, the news index also went online and is searchable in StarCat!)

With the pandemic still in full swing after a year, and the library noticeably more quiet, I find my time is a little bit more free. With zoom fatigue a real thing, programming had to change as well. Instead of hoping to trap people for an hour in a zoom purgatory, I made this article to be read at one’s leisure. I hope you enjoy this dip into the old card catalogs* as we explore a timeline of UFO sightings in the Chemung County area. At the end of the article I will recap the search strategies used in order to compile the information. 

All of the incidences reported are from the Elmira Star Gazette unless otherwise noted.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.30.24 AM.png

Check out the rest of the article here. Then let us know, have you ever seen something like a UFO or other strange thing that couldn't be explained?

Yes.  1973, driving home from Nichol’s Dept. Store at night.  Younger sister was with me.  Turned onto the road home off Draht Hill Road.  Reached bottom of small knoll and noticed flashing lights in the sky to my left.   Thought it was a helicopter, so stopped car, turned it off and got out to see what it was.  Heard nothing but silence, colored lights flashing around oblong object that was just hovering above the field.  Stood watching for several minutes then the object, in a flash, travels off in the direction of  Watercuer Hill Road.

Have never forgot seeing that object.  Laugh if you want, I know what I saw and it wasn’t a helicopter or plane.

• Like 1

That's cool, including what Ann saw! Yes, me too! Living in Lounsberry from '69 to '74 on River Road, we could see the truck stop lit up after it was built, the trees along the hiway being way shorter and non-existent than now. One night, looking out at the stars in early '70s (no idea what year, perhaps '72-'73 based on my Dad's local then OTR driving) I noticed two bright lights close to each other in a certain spot, hovering above Rt. 17.  It moved a little to the side, then went straight up until it faded from sight. My Dad said he'd seen things in the sky as an OTR trucker that made him think he saw UFOs too.  So, I did my oral book report on an in-depth book about UFOs, only to be laughed at by classmates.

• Like 1