Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Haefele Connect - Spencer

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 2.21.18 PM.png

https://www.htva.net

First off, any internet and cable provider who agrees to provide our town with their service is alright in my book, government grants or none. For far too long our town has been completely ignored when it comes to these services. So when the news came down a couple years ago that Haefele was on the way, there was an equal mix of hope and skepticism. Because we'd heard that song and dance before. But when the trucks started rolling into town last year, and new cable hung, it was only a matter of time before we came into the 21st century. 

The office staff in our experience is friendly and efficient. Setting a date for installation was quick and easy, and considering how much us and the neighbors pestered them about when we'd be able to tap into that sweet broadband, that's saying a lot. 

The technician arrived promptly on the day we'd scheduled. He was very friendly and had us hooked up in no time. This efficiency is thanks in part to the fact that a separate crew arrived a week before to install everything from the pole to the house. He showed us how to use the equipment and made sure we knew if there were any issues to call. 

We opted for both internet and cable. I kinda felt like if a company is gonna invest in our community, especially one that is locally owned and operated, the least we could do was support them. You'd have to look at the site to see their prices, but for the medium tier cable and 5g fiber internet, ( 250 mbps speed ) it was still pretty much the same price, if not a little cheaper, than what we were paying for DISH and the AT&T internet. And the internet is WAY faster!

The first thing we did was give it the old "gorilla luggage" test. We hooked up everything we could to the internet including Disney+ streaming in 4K HD. And here's what we got:

1.png

And it's really been pretty consistent ever since. I just now ran a test and it was about 200Mbps down with the same upload speed. Streaming is not an issue, no matter who is doing what in the house. 

As for the TV, we lost MeTV which we really liked, but Haefele offers not just one but six ( I think ) different PBS choices which make up for the loss. Three from WSKG and three from WCNY in Syracuse. The gem of them is CreateTV which I had never heard of until we got hooked up. It has all our favorite cooking, gardening, etc. shows from PBS plus some we'd never heard of. More often than not, it's what we have on here. Additionally we have all the locals, including WETM2 which is also now known as "AntennaeTV", which is similar to MeTV but not quite as good. 

Add to that some music channels that are pretty similar, maybe even a little better than the Sirius XM channels DISH offered. The song rotation seems more varied, you're not hearing the same list of Top 40 songs but more variety. 

I've been waiting to write this review, but nearly two months in I can say we are very happy to be Haefele customers!

• Like 2

Welcome to Haefele! We're very pleased with what they have, tho Nat Geo and Nat Geo Wild are gone and the Mets baseball channel has been gone awhile, and we miss our Dutch Dr. Pol vet. Have had Haefele cable TV now for several yrs. Tempted to get internet too and use Frontier only for landline, but not looking forward to the hassle of changing all our many email user connections to a new name, so haven't switched. We get MeTV under Binghamton's ch.12.3 (I think it is - Ed's my DJ), and we really like the music channels too as my resident DJ toggles btwn different venues we like should a not-so-good song start playing LOL! Enjoy!!

Edited by Linda Roorda

We only opted for the 150mbs package but its more than adequate for the two of us . As to issues / problems , its refreshing to talk with an associate who is most likely a family member of the Owner not some guy named Walter in Mumbai  . But then again we have only had one teeny tiny issue that was fixed at the source . 
Unlimited internet with no buffering lets me watch music tutorials , and putting it on a loop I can play along with the instructors all I want ! 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Kevin said:

Dr Pol is on Disney + if you can stream

Thanks Kevin - Don't get Disney on our cable; don't know what streaming is 🙂

12 hours ago, Linda Roorda said:

Thanks Kevin - Don't get Disney on our cable; don't know what streaming is 🙂

Disney + is not available on cable.  It is a streaming platform like Netflix. I have 4 streaming services and no cable. 

10 hours ago, Kevin said:

I have 4 streaming services and no cable. 

Really everything you'd want to watch should be on one of them. Why we don't do that, I have no idea. 

Exactly and no or very few commercials. I already have Amazon Prime for the free shipping, might as well use the streaming that comes with it. Netflix is free from my cell provider. Plus Hulu and Disney + has everything we need or want. 

we run hulu, disney, plus,netflix and an iptv I pay 20 a month for that has every channel and then some. Plus 1 or 2 other streaming apps of questionable legality.

On 3/25/2021 at 11:32 PM, Kevin said:

Disney + is not available on cable.  It is a streaming platform like Netflix. I have 4 streaming services and no cable. 

Thanks very much Kevin! but I haven't a clue how to do streaming services. My husband is blind and I'm not tech savvy. I've struggled with using DVDs, and even stopped doing that.

They did some channel reset or other update last night so today I went through to make heads or tails of our favorites list. And I see we DO have MeTV!!! That was the one channel I thought I was going to miss and it looks to me like they’ve added it.

Sometimes it’s the little things.

didnt have TV all day, still not sure if channels are up, internet worked fine though