Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Underrated Movies: What's Your Pick?

The other morning I noticed that Mars was shining exceptionally bright in the pre-dawn hour, and I joked to my wife that I could almost see John Carter waving from the surface of the Red Planet. That got me thinking about what a good movie that was, and how underrated it is. It's considered a flop, really. So I looked up some other underrated movie lists:

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 9.54.19 AM.png

I can vouch for Master and Commander, that my friends is an amazing movie that I watch every time it comes on. And it's too bad more people didn't enjoy it, because I believe there is an entire series of books of which that was just the first. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was pretty good as well, it's kind of a collection of short movies and a couple of them are absolutely hysterical. 

But damn, John Carter was such a good movie and got me to read Edgar Rice Burroughs novels in that series. And it was supposed to be a trilogy! I think the big problem was they didn't market it correctly. It should have been more correctly named, John Carter of Mars. Also, the first 20 minutes of the movie it, admittedly, either dull or confusing, depending on who you ask. But anyone who sits through that ( and is IS relevant ) is in for a fun movie based on a story that is the great-granddaddy of modern science fiction.

What are some movies, obscure or otherwise, that you've enjoyed and are completely underrated in your opinion?

Machine Gun Preacher, The Count of Monte Cristo, secret life of walter mitty, imitation game, 13th warrior, master and commander, John Carter,

though i didnt realize many of these were underrated until i looked them up

2nd hand lions is a great underrated movie. Those that have seen like it. Those that haven't most likely have never heard of it.

• Like 1