TTL News

WETM: Parents Challenge Elmira City School District's Bullying Report

ELMIRA, N.Y. (WETM) – A report recently obtained by 18 News, revealed the Elmira City School District reported 12 incidents of bullying and assault to the state. Yet, 18 News has been sent over 25 videos of, what seems to be, physical assault on the grounds of Elmira City schools.

In an interview conducted in Jan. 2022, a seventh-grader in the Elmira City School District said bullying happens multiple times per day, every single day. 

“I don’t want to go to school because I’m nervous I’m going to get beat up again,” he said.

More than 25 videos, showing students getting punched, kicked, spit on, wrestled to the ground, and more, were sent to 18 News by students during the 2021-2022 school year. Many of them, like the seventh-grader, said they were afraid of going to school.

18 News filed a freedom of information request to see the district’s bullying report that all New York schools are required to submit. That report, obtained this past week, states that the Elmira City School district reported a total of 12 incidents of bullying and assault for the 2021-2022 school year.

18 News reached out to the Elmira City School District Superintendent, Hillary Austin, who would not agree to an interview for this story. In a statement, Austin said they “Investigated… over 300 discipline conduct referrals in areas of student altercations as well as bullying…that did not meet the criteria for a…report…but did require discipline consequences.”

Read the rest here.

I was pretty surprised by the length and in depth work put into this news story. I can't help but wonder if the timing, released after the reporter left the station, was intentional or simply a coincidence. 

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

I was pretty surprised by the length and in depth work put into this news story. I can't help but wonder if the timing, released after the reporter left the station, was intentional or simply a coincidence. 

This report did not surprise me.  Do you remember when your youngest brother had his head slammed into a locker.  We later were told it was a case of “mistaken identity”.  Your Dad left work at went to the school.  He spoke to the Principal and basically they wanted to handle the matter in school.  Hubby said no, call the Police but they wouldn’t.  Hubby took our son to the ER, he had a concussion.  Next stop was the Police Dept. and charges were filed.  The school wasn’t happy.

I would strongly suggest to the parents that if your child is physically assaulted or bullied, file charges with the Police.  Assault and or Harassment.  Have the “bad asses” arrested.

1 hour ago, Ann said:

This report did not surprise me.  Do you remember when your youngest brother had his head slammed into a locker.  We later were told it was a case of “mistaken identity”.  Your Dad left work at went to the school.  He spoke to the Principal and basically they wanted to handle the matter in school.  Hubby said no, call the Police but they wouldn’t.  Hubby took our son to the ER, he had a concussion.  Next stop was the Police Dept. and charges were filed.  The school wasn’t happy.

I would strongly suggest to the parents that if your child is physically assaulted or bullied, file charges with the Police.  Assault and or Harassment.  Have the “bad asses” arrested.

I got head butted not slammed into a locker. He got a restraining order and booted from school I believe. 

54 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

I got head butted not slammed into a locker. He got a restraining order and booted from school I believe. 

I wonder who it was that was slammed into a locker?

These parents need to start filing criminal charges since the School District is turning a blind eye to what’s happening.

The SOB head butted the side of your head yes . Vice Principal did not want to let you leave school said they would handle it , secretary stopped us and said i had to sign you out or we couldn’t leave … yeah , the look I gave her ended that conversation !! VP got nasty and all sorts of huffy when he was told I would be filing a protective on the kid telling me “ you don’t want to do that “ , took that as a threat and my parting shot to him was “ his mother is a Legal Secretary, how many Lawyers do you want here to visit you today ? “ Hospital, Police Station and home to a very pissed off Momma Bear … 

Turns out the situation was taken care of before we left the school by another family member 🤔

Bottom line … as stated above , file a report with Law Enforcement immediately!! 

• Like 1

some degree of hazing is to be expected....time was when the freshmen class spent 1st week of highschool being "hunted" by the upper class( mainly Seniors), it sucked, strangely a bit fun but it was soon over. Kids these days just are different breed and parents more ignorant, or less present. 

it certainly does not help that Schools get funding based on asses in seats; for that actual education seems to have taken a back-seat...IMHO Education is a privilege, not a right. if the little darlin's dont want to behave and be Civil; boot them out, they certainly havent the right to disrupt the education of others

• Like 1