Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

"How Old Is That Deer?"

By passing up shots on yearling bucks (1.5 years old), hunters improve their odds of seeing older-age, larger bucks in the years to come. Though antlers can be helpful to distinguish young bucks, sometimes antlers can be misleading.

Antlered Bucks- Yearling or Older
These bucks from Washington County, NY demonstrate typical age-related differences in body size and antler growth.

Body characteristics are also very important. Here are some good ways to distinguish between yearling bucks and adult bucks:

Yearling Buck or Older Chart

Antlerless Deer – Doe or Fawn

It can be difficult to distinguish adult does from fawn deer, particularly late in the season or anytime if the deer are alone. Though fawns provide excellent table fare, some hunters prefer to target adult deer. Taking adult female deer contributes to management objectives, and passing buck fawns may allow some of them to be available later as antlered bucks. By learning the differences between does and fawns, hunters can make more informed harvest choices.

Antlerless Deer- Doe or Fawn

Adult Doe or Fawn Chart

After the Shot
Check out DEC’s Guide to Aging Deer in New York (PDF) to learn how to age deer by looking at their teeth.

Seen 2 very interesting Deer related things from customers. 1 was a piebald buck whose antlers went straight out each side no curve up. The lady told me he is off limits for hunters and she will rain down fire and brimstone if she catches someone trying to harvest him. 

The 2nd was a deer that met a truck and didnt win the battler but the hear was outside the body a good distance away just beating away. Very interesting video.

2 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

The lady told me he is off limits for hunters and she will rain down fire and brimstone if she catches someone trying to harvest him. 

So… leave the goofed up genetics in the herd, got it.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

So… leave the goofed up genetics in the herd, got it.

Guess it can be hard to put down an animal you are attached to.  She was a hunter herself that's how we got on the subject so I am sure she understands the implications.

The piebald thing ain’t that big a deal but the wonky antler growth sounds like something ya wouldn’t want in a deer herd.

I was crabby earlier. In hindsight maybe I’d feel differently if it was around here. There was that grouse I didn’t want anyone shooting years ago. ( He was so friendly and followed me all over the hillside. )

Sign in to follow this