Sign in to follow this  
Chris

New Kam Bo - Sayre

202 Desmond St Sayre PA 18840

570-888-4350

Menu can be found here.

I haven't had Chinese food in a year, likely two or more. It's one of those things that always sounds like a good idea but when you're about halfway through you're like, "Ugh, why am I eating this?" And then there's the sluggish feeling after because let's be honest, it's really complete junk food. So we've been making a lot of our own here at home with great results. 

But there's limitations to what I can cook. So when the wife mentioned that there was a place a stones throw from her work in Sayre, we decided to give it a shot. 

I was reluctant to order my usual Sesame Chicken because despite asking for it to be cooked extra crispy, I always get a pile of gelatinous rubbery garbage completely smothered in sauce. I almost never finish it, because no matter where we got it from, it sucks. Not so from New Kam Bo. Not only was it cooked exactly the way I asked for it ( ya know, actually done ), it had very little of that candy like sauce on it which was a refreshing change of pace. Honestly, they could have put a little more on it and I would have been happy. But still, this was perfect. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 11.03.36 AM.png

Not my pic, but look at the portion size!

The fried rice was good... it's pretty hard to screw up fried rice although some places have. The egg roll was a little thinner than what you might get elsewhere but it was tasty. Not overstuffed with cabbage, and a lot like I've had when someone I know has made homemade egg rolls. 

Now, I've seen a couple people on Yelp complain about the prices, the dinner combo I got was about $9.50, but here's the thing: The portions were ridiculously large for all of our orders. So big they had to staple the styrofoam containers shut to keep it all in. There is no way one person can eat it all in one sitting. Seriously, there's four containers of leftovers in the fridge right now. So to me it's quite a value. 

The only down side, and I really don't hold this against them, is that the containers it comes in are styrofoam. Food doesn't travel well in that, but then much of their clientele probably doesn't have a 20+ minute ride home. Those little metal containers you get from a lot of places would have kept it hotter for the ride home. But it wasn't cold, so like I said, I won't hold it against them. 

Folks in The Valley or planning to be down there should give this place a try. We'll definitely order from them again. 

• Like 1

My God, I'm gonna pay for all this unhealthy eating this week. We had dinner from here again last night ( actually the third or fourth time since the initial review ) and it was absolutely fantastic.