TTL News

Election Day 2022 Mega Thread

There’s several things about this race and results that I find interesting, and perhaps a little disturbing here and there.

The first is how many votes were cast for candidates who just kinda tripped and fell into candidacy. Either they know a lot of people or voters truly don’t pay attention to anything but party line.

Also, it seemed to me there were candidates on the ballot who didn’t seem to put a lot of effort into the race. For the most part they didn’t win, although there were some whose campaign seemed pretty thin on substance, at least online. Maybe their door to door pitch was better.

Im kinda amazed that despite the fallout from bail reform and the constantly increasing cost of living/ inflation, the apparent concern of voters boiled down to two things: abortion and Trump. I mean for chrissake, if it weren’t for guns, Hochul  would have sounded like a broken record: “guns, guns, guns”.

Im sure there were other thoughts I had, but I can’t remember. That’s enough for now I guess.

16 minutes ago, Chris said:

There’s several things about this race and results that I find interesting, and perhaps a little disturbing here and there.

The first is how many votes were cast for candidates who just kinda tripped and fell into candidacy. Either they know a lot of people or voters truly don’t pay attention to anything but party line.

I also found some points interesting (and some unsettling).

In contrast to what felt like a record number of new faces and challengers last time (2018), it looks like no incumbents were defeated this time.

In the 11th and 12th districts there seemed to be a strong indication how many voters check their party box and probably don't even know who the candidate is. 

I get the idea that the Rep candidate in the 6th had some name recognition even though he was added just two weeks ago....but the Rep candidates in 11 didn't seem seriously trying at all and makes some outlandish posts on FB. And the 12 won the nomination by ONE write-in vote (himself). So it's shocking and a little scary that either of them could have conceivably come close to winning if there hadn't been serious candidates putting effort into Independent lines.

Screenshot_20221109-101454_Chrome.thumb.jpg.198aeb0d972676f247ba2bd6ef31a1ea.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Morse the only Brennan backed candidate to win a seat? 

I believe so.

6 hours ago, Jack said:

thanks for that small mercy

6 hours ago, Jack said:

Yes.

And she's one of the candidates that were already running anyway and he just glommed onto, as opposed to some that i think he recruited to run who were like his disciples 

20 hours ago, MsKreed said:

So it’s shocking and a little scary that either of them could have conceivably come close to winning if there hadn't been serious candidates putting effort into Independent lines.

It’s kinda sad really, how people like Craig Colwell, who really put in the time and effort, garnered so little support. 

19 minutes ago, Chris said:

It’s kinda sad really, how people like Craig Colwell, who really put in the time and effort, garnered so little support. 

It is sad that party line is the only way some people make decisions. 

Same with the 11th district. Even a low turnout district with only 743 voters, you'd think Grasso & Logan-Lattimore putting in the work should have gotten more votes.

If the Libertarian candidates had had better guidance and established communication with committee members early, one of them could have been considered for the Rep line.  

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

Looks like the Democrats will hold on to the House.

I agree.  Personally think the GA runoff will not go in Walker's favor.  But nothing in this election went the way it was predicted so who know.

1 minute ago, KarenK said:

Personally think the GA runoff will not go in Walker's favor.

I can't believe he even got to this point. 

1 hour ago, MsKreed said:

You meant to say Senate?

Why yes, yes I did.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

CNN just projected the Republicans will take the House.

Pretty much figured that.  I think Dems need 11 and Reps needed 1.  Did you know Oregon is 100% mail in voting?  I just learned that today.