Sign in to follow this  
Jack

Beef/Pork farms

I've had a hard time relying on the regional grocers for specific cuts of meat. 

I've messaged many farms that supply Nickels, Fat City, Juliannas, etc. I usually get a "yeah we can with special order." but the moment I ask for pricing it goes unread. I really want to stay local.

Mostly looking for brisket/beef ribs and pork belly/shoulders and ribs. 

Have any of us gone to a local farm with store front and had much luck? 

I enjoy using the smoker when I can and don't want to use the national sellers like Snake River or Omaha Steaks. It's frustrating at this point. The local market doesn't seem to accommodate.

Have you tried a shurfine like Miniers or Ted Clarks? They both have excellent cuts of meat and are locally owned.  I was looking for pork but a while ago and Callears BBQ in Sayre sent me to Ted Clarks. 

Hamilton meats in Elmira or Woodys Country Store in Gillette?  They have great local meat at decent prices.  There is also that new place in Corning called The Butchers Son.

There’s Shirks in Penn Yann, that’s the only one I can think of that hasn’t been mentioned. 

There’s a place supposed to open in Horseheads but I don’t know when.

If you’re looking to buy large quantities there’s Willow Valley Farm in Lowman, but they don’t have a shop where you can go in for just a couple pounds.

My husband's nephew, Jon Roorda: Compton Farms Beef StoreCharolais beef. 

Located at 3216 Center Road Ovid, NY 14521.  We're open for pick up.  Weekdays 6 to 7 pm. Weekends 8:30 to 12.  And by appointment.  Ground beef, hamburger patties, roasts and stew beef.  $5.25/pound. $5/pound on orders of 20 pounds or more.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions. 

Sorry for posting in the wrong area. Half asleep...

21 hours ago, Jack said:

Sorry for posting in the wrong area. Half asleep...

No worries, though I finally remembered to move it to the Rural section.