Sign in to follow this  
TTL News Bot

Review: Hocus Pocus 2 - The Witches Make A Lively Return

The nostalgia for “Hocus Pocus” has always been a bit of a mystery to me. 

There is nothing new about kids loving mediocre films and carrying that soft spot into adulthood, but I was in the right demographic when “Hocus Pocus” came out in the summer of 1993 (age 9, approaching third grade) and remember it being just OK. 

This is not a testament to my taste at the time, when I thought “Grease 2” was one of the best movies ever, but more so indicative of the undeniable averageness of “Hocus Pocus.” I don’t think it was just me, either. Aside from Sarah Jessica Parker’s “Amok! Amok! Amok!” entering our vernacular, it was not a movie any of my peers were eager to watch again. And yet, much to my bewilderment, “Hocus Pocus” became a thing over the years. My best guess is it was some combination of its relentless availability crossed with a lack of PG-rated Halloween content. Plus, there is the intro-to-camp factor of Parker, Bette Midler and Kathy Najimy as singing sisters bent on eating children to preserve their youth.

Read the rest here.

To me, the original is one of those things that signify a time of year. It's on, it's definitely Fall. I'll watch it, if only because nothing else is on.

Has anyone seen the sequel yet? If so, what did you think?

6 hours ago, Chris said:

To me, the original is one of those things that signify a time of year. It's on, it's definitely Fall. I'll watch it, if only because nothing else is on.

Has anyone seen the sequel yet? If so, what did you think?

I just recorded the original movie to watch this weekend.  My favorite scene is the adult Halloween dance party.  Hocus Pocus 2 will be next.

1 hour ago, Ann said:

I guess she changed her mind.  I wonder why.

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 9.41.20 AM.png

• Like 2