Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

All Quiet On The Western Front - Official Teaser

This is one remake I will give a chance. 

I absolutely loved the book and have read it a couple times. I've seen the original movie, starring Richard Thomas ( "John-Boy" ) and enjoyed that as well. However I think with advances in CGI and this not so much a "made for TV" movie like the last one ( I think? ) it will be truer to the book in the gritty reality of war it tried to convey. 

Review:

War films generally have plots. This is not surprising, of course, as moviegoers tend to want to see a story unfold at the cinema. But these narratives can actually make it harder capture the senselessness of war. Even movies committed to showing the brutality and cruelty of combat, like “Full Metal Jacket” or “1917,” tend to structure the brutality and cruelty around missions or goals which inevitably rationalize the action. Soldiers, in these films, are going somewhere; they have something to do — whether that “something” is taking out a sniper (as in “Full Metal Jacket”) or preventing a doomed attack (as in “1917”). They may die and fail; they may persevere and succeed. But either way the fact that there is something specific to gain, something specific to do, gives their fate, and war itself, a measure of meaning.

Edward Berger, the director of the newest Hollywood adaptation of “All Quiet on the Western Front,” loosely based on Erich Maria Remarque’s famous 1928 antiwar novel, is determined not to allow film convention to justify the carnage and futility of World War I. The result is in many ways a frustrating film. But a shorter and more satisfying narrative would not have been as true to the material, or to Remarque’s pacifism.

Source