Sign in to follow this  
Elmira Telegram

NASA Prepares Return To The Moon With New Mission Set For August Launch

NASA will return to the moon with a new mission planned for August, the agency said at a press conference Wednesday.

Fifty-three years after the historic landing of Apollo 11 in 1969, the new mission to orbit the moon is tentatively set to begin on Aug. 29, according to agency officials.

Artemis I will be an uncrewed test-launch with a newly developed spacecraft, Orion, to determine if it's time to send a human crew to the moon next year.

NASA says Artemis I is the first mission aimed to kick start a larger campaign of increasingly complex missions with the goal of bringing astronauts to the moon and Mars.

Read the rest here.

It amazes me how they were able to get to the moon in the 60s using technology of the era. A successful mission now this will result in a manned mission in 2 years and a possible landing in 3 years. 

It's looking like a Saturday launch now. 

NASA’s moon rocket returned to the safety of its hangar Tuesday as Hurricane Ian approached Florida, its launch now unlikely before mid-November. 

Instead of trying to send it on its first test flight, the launch team moved the 322-foot (98-meter) rocket off the pad at Kennedy Space Center. The four-mile (6.4-kilometer) trip took all night.

NASA official Jim Free said it would be difficult to upgrade the rocket and get it back to the pad for an October launch attempt. Putting in fresh batteries is particularly challenging, Free noted, making it doubtful a launch could be attempted before the mid-to-late October launch period closes. The next two-week window would open Nov. 12.

Source

On 8/29/2022 at 11:46 AM, Kevin said:

It amazes me how they were able to get to the moon in the 60s using technology of the era. A successful mission now this will result in a manned mission in 2 years and a possible landing in 3 years. 

Allegedly.