Sign in to follow this  
MsKreed

FBI’s search of Trump’s Florida estate: Why now?

WASHINGTON (AP) — The FBI’s unprecedented search of former President Donald Trump’s Florida residence ricocheted around government, politics and a polarized country Tuesday along with questions as to why the Justice Department — notably cautious under Attorney General Merrick Garland — decided to take such a drastic step.

Answers weren’t quickly forthcoming.

Justice Department spokesperson Dena Iverson declined to comment on the search, including whether Garland had personally authorized it. White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said the West Wing first learned of the search from public media reports and the White House had not been briefed in the run-up or aftermath.

SOURCE

I can’t help but wonder if it’s connected to getting their hand on Alex Jones’ texts.

At any rate the way I see it, there must be something to it or they wouldn’t have executed the search warrant and walked out of there with a dozen boxes. I’m sure they were very aware of the optics of it all.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what was in them. 

I found this interesting:

My own personal dislike of the man aside, it staggers my imagination, particularly this week, how people can still believe he can do no wrong. Particularly in this instance.

cannot imagine any universe i'd offer a defense for him BUT, one has to wonder how blind is justice? Seems they are going after him with gusto yet Clinton hid/destroyed servers and lord knows what else yet she was essentially given a pass by media and FBI.

still say there are 535 people plus at least two more in DC i wouldnt shed a tear over if they dropped off the face of the planet today....good chance to start over

The fact that he falsely claimed (day after raid) that his team was not permitted to have copy of warrant or receipt of seized material should make any followers question his narrative & motives.On the other hand, there is also cause to question the narrative & motives of those investigating him.

Did the FBI retrieve documents from his property that were marked with various “classified/TS” labels? Evidently, yes. Do we know how many were/are declassified subsequent to the labelling? Not yet.

Do we know his exact “intent”? No.

Unlike Sandy Berger’s clear and unambiguous “intent” at unauthorized possession (stuffing papers in his pants and socks to smuggle them out of the National Archives), it seems perfectly believable with Trump’s ego, that he could believe he had the right to material that “he” created or controlled during his term.

I think it’s safe to say we (should) all know Trump has taken some shady actions. But it’s doubtful he was (or planned to) pass Putin nuclear codes, diagrams or locations.

Right, much like with the FBI investigation into Hilary’s emails, they have to be able to prove intent. And Comey said then, the agency didn’t recommend prosecution because of the difficulty of doing so.

Waht they do with The Donald remains to be seen, but I’m betting they won’t recommend prosecution for the same reason.

Of course with his ego and IQ, he’ll crow victory and call it all a hoax.

Well, when people get their "news" from sources such as this:

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 7.53.59 AM.png

What can you expect?

Disclaimer ; I am neither Trump nor Biden supporter ! 
Simply stated I don’t need to see the warrant, I want to see the affidavit that lists specifically what they were allowed to gather and where they were allowed to search for that / those items . Second , the videotape or body cameras of exactly where each agent was searching ! Show me , don't tell me ! And lastly, this sets a dangerous precedent for us lowly Plebeians as well as the Donalds of this World that scare the living hell out of the elitist ingrained / imbedded politicians ( lower case intended) who are unwilling to give up the power and the money ( ours ) that the profess to work so hard for . And just one more thing if I may . The proof of their intent is in the hiring of 87,00 more IRS agents who will be  Armed and must be willing to use those Weapons in the course of their employment / deployment !  Sound a bit on the “ tin hat “ side … okay just hold onto that ! 

• Like 1

WASHINGTON (AP) — Fourteen of the 15 boxes recovered from former President Donald Trump’s Florida estate earlier this year contained documents with classification markings, according to an FBI affidavitreleased Friday explaining the justification for the search of the property this month.

The 32-page affidavit, even in its redacted form, contains additional details about an ongoing criminal investigation that has brought fresh legal peril for Trump just as he lays the groundwork for another presidential run. It underscores the volume of sensitive government documents located at Mar-a-Lago and reveals FBI concerns that the records were being retained illegally.

Though the document offers the most substantial description of the investigation, federal officials also redacted significant portions of it to protect the identity of witnesses and to avoid revealing sensitive investigative tactics.

Read the rest here. 

Or you can read the affidavit here. 

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a legal victory for former President Donald Trump, a federal judge on Monday granted his request for a special masterto review documents seized by the FBI from his Florida home and temporarily halted the Justice Department’s use of the records for investigative purposes.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon authorizes an outside legal expert to review the records taken during the Aug. 8 search and to weed out from the rest of the investigation any that might be protected by claims of attorney-client privilege or executive privilege. Some of those records may ultimately be returned to Trump, but the judge put off a ruling on that question.

The order came despite the strenuous objections of the Justice Department, which said a special master was not necessary in part because officials had already completed their review of potentially privileged documents. The department said Monday that it was reviewing the decision but did not indicate if and when it might appeal.

Source

A document describing a foreign government’s military defenses, including its nuclear capabilities, was found by FBI agents who searched former president Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence and private club last month, according to people familiar with the matter, underscoring concerns among U.S. intelligence officials about classified material stashed in the Florida property.

Some of the seized documents detail top-secret U.S. operations so closely guarded that many senior national security officials are kept in the dark about them. Only the president, some members of his Cabinet or a near-Cabinet-level official could authorize other government officials to know details of these special-access programs, according to people familiar with the search, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive details of an ongoing investigation.

Documents about such highly classified operations require special clearances on a need-to-know basis, not just top-secret clearance. Some special-access programs can have as few as a couple dozen government personnel authorized to know of an operation’s existence. Records that deal with such programs are kept under lock and key, almost always in a secure compartmented information facility, with a designated control officer to keep careful tabs on their location.

But such documents were stored at Mar-a-Lago, with uncertain security, more than 18 months after Trump left the White House.

Source

Can anyone think of a reason, a sane one that is, why any ex-president would have this in their private possession?

Orange Former President possessing classified files or Pant Suit Clad Former Secretary of State doing the same with classified Emails  I'm sure this list can be expanded upon . Again I am not a Trump supporter but I do view this whole situation, with Cheney and her Ilk sitting up on the High Court Dias , with their every move being Produced and Directed by , well a … Hollywood Director , I see this as a well choreographed and presented Optic aimed at Mid Term Voters ! Not saying that its a sham mind you and if the Special Master finds against Trump thats on him but if we are after Bad actors … lets get after All ! 
This is My opinion, I have listened to other’s opinions and read the heavily redacted Affidavit but the keywords to cast doubt or create reasonable doubt are there , not redacted . These keywords are written into this document so as to give an “out” just in case this thing blows back on the initiators of the Action .  

Thing is, they did investigate Hilary’s handling of emails: https://www.fbi.gov/news/press-releases/press-releases/statement-by-fbi-director-james-b-comey-on-the-investigation-of-secretary-hillary-clinton2019s-use-of-a-personal-e-mail-system

We have to get past this “whataboutism” in our society. Because a former Secretary of State did something doesn’t mean a former president should get a pass and not be thoroughly investigated as well.

The key here will be intent. Why did he or his staff take sensitive and classified information and, let’s be realistic here, hide in on his private estate, despite being asked for the return of any and all documents that shouldn’t have been taken?

As Comey stated in the link provided, intent would have been difficult to prove against Hilary, as it will be against Trump unless they can shake the tree hard enough that someone speaks up.

Nevertheless, it should be investigated, regardless of it being 3 months before a mid-term election. Same as the release of the FBI findings regarding Hilary, four months before the presidential election. 

• Like 1

And let me clarify my statement about “whataboutism”: That’s a general statement, not directed at anyone here in this conversation.

The new channels didn’t get to pronounce the “s” in “breaking news” before Hilary’s name was invoked as a response. It’s all too prevalent all across the national dialogue.

I did not say Trump should get a pass , I was giving the situation as I see it and the optics are there but would be different for others . Have we seen the actual documents or just a batch of folders obviously propped and posed for a single picture … sorry , not convinced . The bottom line for me is Democrats are out to block Trump from running again because he may just pull it off . Do I give a rats ass who gets the next Presidency , I do but it will be just more “ High Court Investigations “ and  if the best the Democrats can front for the Office is a doddering old fool that hides the blank stare of dementia behind aviator sunglasses and his “ word salad “ serving , First Female VP for the next cycle then so be it and hang on to your shorts . 
How can I possibly be qualified to make these statements some will ask , he has no Political Science Degree , not one bit of College at all … correct on both counts hell most times i can’t string together the words to make my point ! But … I have skin in this game ,as do we all , and do know and comprehend what I see happening and stand by my “ whataboutism “ in stating “ that the list could be expanded upon “ and by that I mean All the self righteous political elitists  ! Now , understand what i’m trying to say or not it is my opinion , it will not change but i will always listen to and respect others opinions ! 

The special master appointed to review documents federal agents seized at Donald Trump’s Florida estate has given the former president until Friday of next week to back up his allegation that the FBI planted evidence in the search on Aug. 8.

After the FBI search of his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Trump and his lawyers have publicly insinuated on multiple occasions without providing evidence that agents planted evidence during the search. “Planting information anyone?” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform Aug. 12.

In a filing Thursday, Senior U.S. District Judge Raymond J. Dearie of New York, the court-appointed special master, ordered the government to turn over copies of all non-classified items seized in the case to Trump's lawyers by Monday.

He then ordered Trump's team to submit a "declaration or affidavit" of any items in the inventory that were removed from Mar-a-Lago that the "Plaintiff asserts were not seized from the Premises," meaning items that were put there by someone else.

Source

On Tuesday, Biden said he was “surprised” to find out classified documents had been stored at his former office, and on Thursday he dodged reporters’ questions about why classified documents had been at his Delaware home. He implied the Delaware documents had been secure, noting that his prized classic car was stored in the same place.

“And by the way, my Corvette is in a locked garage. Okay? So it’s not like it’s sitting on the street,” he told reporters, adding that he would say more later.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2023/01/biden-classified-documents-garage-trump-mar-a-lago/

I'll be honest, I haven't been following it too closely other than what the nightly news covers. I did see NBC's Pete Alexander ( I think ) kinda giving Joe some crap about it in a press conference yesterday. 

I think, and could be wrong, the difference here is "Oh crap, look what we found" vs a request for documents and not relinquishing them.

Honestly things are so screwed up I almost wish for a giant asteroid.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Merrick Garland on Thursday appointed a special counsel to investigate the presence of classified documents found at President Joe Biden’s home in Wilmington, Delaware, and at an unsecured office in Washington dating from his time as vice president. 

Robert Hur, a onetime U.S. attorney appointed by former President Donald Trump, will lead the investigation and plans to begin his work soon. His appointment marks the second time in a few months that Garland has appointed a special counsel, an extraordinary fact that reflects the Justice Department’s efforts to independently conduct high-profile probes in an exceedingly heated political environment.

Both of those investigations, the earlier one involving Trump and documents recovered from his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, relate to the handling of classified information, though there are notable differences between those cases.

Source

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I think, and could be wrong, the difference here is "Oh crap, look what we found" vs a request for documents and not relinquishing them.

Of course, we have no reason at this point to speculate if these were "discovered" any sooner than they were reported, even though he's had them for six years. 

As for the "comparison" the linked article, some factors are irrelevant, like the "volume" of documents since the nature and security levels of each would have its own significance/weight.

Also, other differences seem to be overlooked in the comparison:

These documents were "unaccounted for" for a significantly longer period (since at least before the 2017 inauguration). 

We do know some had to have been relocated at least once, as some were located in office space that Biden didn't occupy until some time after he left the VP office with them.

As flimsy and questionable as Trump's excuse of "I declassified them myself" is/was, it's a claim VP Biden couldn't make.

Unless they were removed more recently during Biden's POTUS term....in which case, he (and his staff/legal team) already forgetting they were moved is problematic. 

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 2