Chris

Bigfoot Legends 102.9 FM

The other day I was going to Corning and the radio was on 103.3. As I pulled into Corning, I sort of noticed a Brooks and Dunn song on the radio, which i thought was weird since 103.3 is more classic rock. Maybe I changed the channel and forgot about it. Then the DJ says, "Here's one from Patsy Cline..." and I thought, "Wait, no one plays Patsy anymore, certainly not around here. 

Well on Bigfoot Legends they do. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 9.08.45 AM.png

So the radio stayed there, until almost exactly at the county line it reverted back to classic rock. 

Turns out there's an Elmira frequency, 102.9, which immediately got punched in on my favorites list. They play some modern stuff too, it may depend on what show is on. Right now it sounds just like the syndicated morning show on their top 40 station to be honest. But judging from what I heard yesterday, you're just as likely to hear anything going back to the 50's other times of the day. It's the closes thing to "Willie's Roadhouse" on Sirius ( which I miss ) on terrestrial radio. 

So you can check it out at 102.9 or you can stream it here.

Seems like it was all new stuff with the Big D And Bubba syndicated show today. Then at 10am on the dot they played Waylon Jennings and I sighed contentedly.

102.9 used to be a repeater for Wiggle in Troy. It sits or sat on top of the Clemens Center. He sold it a few years ago when he bought the stations in Towanda.

That’s right! I was trying to remember what channel that used to be and couldn’t.

Bigfoot is buying up a lot of the stations in the northern tier of PA. It is owned by the son or something of the guy that owns all the Froggy stations down near Towanda. 

They need to boost the signal a little. It get's pretty lousy in parts of Horseheads and through Breesport. 

Repeaters are low powered directional antennas. So I doubt that is gonna happen.

While i'm happy that people found something new they like, (Personally I enjoyed the Jams 101.7) I feel 7 Mountains Media who owns the radio stations has really ruined the radio market by creating a monopoly. They own everything outside of 94 Rock, 995 WOKN, and the religious stations. There used to be some variety and had the political stations (820AM and 1230/1450am) and then WELM 1410. 

I have to agree with you, I’d much rather we had more small, locally owned and independent radio stations. While I do in fact enjoy the Bigfoot Country Legends, it’s true that 96.1, 99.5 and even 102.9 are all too similar in format ( at least until 10am when 102.9 turns more classic, though not enough for my tastes ). And I’m pretty sure I’ve heard the same Scott and Allie conversation on more than one station here and there.

Now that I think of it, there’s a couple stations with “morning zoo” formats that sound the same as well. There’s Big D & Bubba, Free Beer & Hot Wings ( what stupid names for DJs ) and a third show Dave and Mahoney. All three of them sound so formulaic it isn’t funny.

I also still listen to Wiggle 100 out of Troy, perhaps the last small independent station left. Hell, they’re still using bumper, I think they’re called, from more than 30 years ago. ( Which for the record I like )