Sign in to follow this  
TwinTiersLiving

Supreme Court Overturns NY Law On Carrying Concealed Weapons

Writing for the 6-3 majority, Justice Clarence Thomas said Thursday that the law’s requirement of New Yorkers who want a license to carry a handgun in public to show “proper cause” that the weapon is specifically needed for self-defense “violates the Fourteenth Amendment by preventing law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their right to keep and bear arms in public.”

Read more about it here.

• Like 2

In his dissent, retiring Justice Stephen Breyer cited the toll of gun violence, writing: “Since the start of this year alone (2022), there have already been 277 reported mass shootings—an average of more than one per day.”

Breyer then rattled off a list of some of the most notorious US massacres over the last decade, from the December 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn., to the racially motivated May 14 bloodletting at a grocery store in Buffalo and the May 24 mass shooting at a school in Uvalde, Texas that killed 19 students and two teachers.

How many of those shootings he cites had anything at all to do with a handgun?

“And mass shootings are just one part of the problem. Easy access to firearms can also make many other aspects of American life more dangerous,” added Breyer, who cited road rage incidents, violent riots, domestic disputes, suicides and interactions with police as examples.

Considering we are talking about permit holders (who were restricted from leaving home with handgun after completing complicated application process)......I'm not sure where Justice Breyer is seeing this ruling as "easy access to firearms". 

Furthermore, it seems pretty ridiculous for him to suggest that CCP could even remotely impact "domestic disputes" or "suicide"....since they typically happen in the home: where permit holders guns already (and still) are -- regardless of CCP status. 

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 2

I'm wondering if that means a CCW for upstate will now be welcome in NYC. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

likely not, since the Court did not strike down the ability of municipalities to restrict WHERE handguns could be carried....which i dont think it will take the New York State of mind long to use as a work around SCOTUS decision

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Seems to me they say “in public”, that means NYC as well.

• Like 1

As I was LMAO at what Coumo with different plumbing was spewing tonight it was brought up on the media that the decision did indeed include The Rotten Apple and that area . But then again I would have to see that in writing before I believed it ! But her Highbrowness is going to fight this to the very end because it is a deterrent to her being able to protect her constituents! Oh , the abject horror , can you imagine a law abiding Citizen able to protect themselves or their loved ones from being harmed by the innocent ( aren’t they all ? ) criminal ? 

Well, “protecting others” from the law abiding citizens is an easy thing to do. Politicians live the low hanging fruit.

”Her Highbrowness…” that’s a good one.

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Her Highbrowness…” that’s a good one.

Feel free to use that 😆