TTL News

Legislature Approves Spending For Federally Qualified Health Center In Chemung County

ELMIRA – Last night the Chemung County Legislature voted to approve spending one million dollars to help bring a Federally Qualified Health Center ( FQHC ) to Chemung County. 

A Federally Qualified Health Center is a health center that provides comprehensive primary and preventative health care services to areas that are deemed to be medically underserved. FQHCs operate on a sliding scale fee schedule, meaning they must offer the same services for all, but at a decreased rate for those who are uninsured. Ultimately, an FQHC provides medical care to all, regardless of their ability to pay.

Michael Pease, CEO of The Chatautauqua Center, an FQHC in Dunkirk, New York, gave a presentation to the legislature on June 6th. Pease said that Chemung County was recognized as one of several “highest need” counties across the state that do not already have an existing FQHC. He also said that there is not a single person being served by a health center other than children, who receive dental care at mobile clinics within select schools. 

Read the rest of the article here.

I wonder if they would be able to use volunteers.  I have looked for opportunities to volunteer off and on for years,  but have never been able to find someplace to do that in Chemung County...

The days of the St Joe's Care-a-Van and the Samaritan Center health clinic are long gone

• Like 2

In another topic, @Adam wrote: 

have to give Smith credit, whether its the one or a different one, the FQHC ( by all ive read about them) could be of value to health and healthcare delivery in this area

I haven't had time to watch the recent meeting, but for the sake of conversation here I'll ask, did the one mentioned in this thread fall through? I was actually wondering where this project stood but forgot til this morning.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I haven't had time to watch the recent meeting, but for the sake of conversation here I'll ask, did the one mentioned in this thread fall through? I was actually wondering where this project stood but forgot til this morning.

Summary:

Moss/Hussain have not fully reviewed the contract the Legislature entered into with Chautaqua group, so have not released the funds to them yet. 

Burin indicated that he believes there is some application window that group needs to apply for federal program, and they may need that funding for application to proceed. But no one seems to have any documentation/communication from that group stating any deadline. 

Moss also asked if other groups seeking FQHC had offered bids, etc and the above discussion was mentioned about other potential FQHC possibilities.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Jesus Christ...

He didn’t do it.

9 hours ago, Chris said:

In another topic, @Adam wrote: 

im not sure who approached who at the beginning of the FQHC discussions. While i do agree with the Exec that other entities should be interviewed i cannot ignore the manner in which he is conducting himself relating to it. hes known all this time they were in talks and at no point, publicly, indicated interest or inquired about other candidates to possibly work with....instead waits till now to say he has reservations( though has been publicly against the idea from inception)

30 minutes ago, Adam said:

im not sure who approached who at the beginning of the FQHC discussions. While i do agree with the Exec that other entities should be interviewed i cannot ignore the manner in which he is conducting himself relating to it. hes known all this time they were in talks and at no point, publicly, indicated interest or inquired about other candidates to possibly work with....instead waits till now to say he has reservations( though has been publicly against the idea from inception)

Agreed.  Waiting until he's asked the status this late in the game to request details is poor administrative behavior. 

Additionally.....There seems to have not been much open talk or negotiation, even amongst the Legislature, beyond the presentation the last Legislature got from the one Chautaqua group that sold the legislators on passing the resolution. 

We might speculate that it's likely some individual legislators reached out to that guy with follow-up questions. But in light of no one but Burin apparently was informed of the possible deadline, it seems clear those individual conversations didn't get shared.  

For those who didn't see this week's budget meeting where this was discussed, you can find the Link HERE

he'll screw this up just like he did when Brian Barret wanted to buy the arena

Since it's been over a year from the time they approved this and we haven't heard anything more, I'm guessing it's dead in the water. 

I'll ask Mark Margeson. 

• Like 1

I haven't heard anything back yet, but if I do I'll let you know I guess. 

While I do believe we need the FQHC, I also think that the County needs to direct the various entities that promote economic & industrial development to focus less on bringing low-wage, part-time jobs in retail/tourism and “temp” agency staffing.....that too often lack comprehensive employee benefit packages.

The best way to reduce our local Medicaid costs is to grow a job market that reduces the number of Medicaid recipients.

• Like 3

i reached out to our Legislator to see if anything is in the works or at least where it is

On 8/7/2023 at 9:54 PM, Adam said:

i reached out to our Legislator to see if anything is in the works or at least where it is

I completely forgot to post an answer to this, but a conversation I had this past summer indicated that it's still a "go" at some point. Unfortunately it's been so long I don't remember the details. 

Interestingly enough, my memory about this topic was jogged by a report I heard on NPR this morning from North Country Public Radio ( oh how I love the North Country ). Anyway, this Hudson Headwaters, which is a FQHC,  sounds like a huge benefit to that region. Once can only imagine what it could do around here. 

Here's the report you can listen to or read.

I cannot see how this could ever not be a benefit to this area ! If staffed and administered properly i can see it taking some of the pressure from other medical facilities in the area . Note … I said “administered properly “ , and not by the friend of some local mover and shaker … 

• Like 1

Any more word on this? Last I was told it was still going to happen, but seems to be either happening REALLY slowly or it's dead in the water and no one wants to sign the death certificate publicly. 

I emailed Mark Margeson this afternoon to ask the status of this project. But if any of our members in the know want to chime in, I’m very curious to hear how it’s coming. Or if it’s dead in the water and why.

Okay, so did the legislature approve the $1 million knowing the city or someone else would have to find a few more million? Or did the usual bullshit power struggle in county government screw that all up and now someone else ( the city ) is starting over?

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Chris said:

Okay, so did the legislature approve the $1 million knowing the city or someone else would have to find a few more million? Or did the usual bullshit power struggle in county government screw that all up and now someone else ( the city ) is starting over?

Good question.  I re-read it twice to see if anything else was referenced or it was even the same project.  Sure sounds like it.  

Maybe the city was counting it's chickens early and went to the legislature for some county money assuming they would get the state money they wanted.

Edited by KarenK

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Or did the usual bullshit power struggle in county government screw that all up and now someone else ( the city ) is starting over?

This would be my guess. Or, quite likely....the FQHC developers got sick of waiting for Moss to do his job and approached the City. And maybe suggested that Elmira apply for one of the DRI that the State Legislature green-lighted?

The developer had a presentation at a County Legislature meeting about the deal they approved ARP funds for.  At the time, they (County Leg) asked the City pitch in with them, and it was declined.  That plan was proposed adjacent to AOMC - not the Southside. 

Those guys already had a facility in either Chautauqua Cattaraugus County and were putting up a few million of their own. And after the County Legislature approved the ARP money, they started work on their side. Including working with Dr. Surosky to have a building donated for the project. 

18 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Good question.  I re-read it twice to see if anything else was referenced or it was even the same project.  Sure sounds like it.  

Maybe the city was counting it's chickens early and went to the legislature for some county money assuming they would get the state money they wanted.

i seemed to remember it being a relatively small amount the Legislature set aside to help start up the FQHC and found this from'21:

"The plan sets aside $3.5 million for “community investment.” One of the proposals in that category, $2 million for a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC), emerged as a flashpoint between Moss and the legislature."      https://www.stargazette.com/story/news/local/2021/10/11/chemung-county-american-rescue-plan-funds-covid-chris-moss/6049419001/

and of course Moss threw a fit d/t some changes the Legislature made and then 2/2023 this article indicates the FQHC contract as well as an INcubator were held up in "review" by the Executive's attorney

https://www.weny.com/story/48376204/plans-for-federally-qualified-health-center-held-up-in-chemung-county

• Like 1

Ok that answers some questions.

But seriously, adjacent to the AOMC campus? Why there, other than a donated location? Good God, there’s already no parking to be found in that area as it is.

I have to say I like the idea of the Tops plaza on S.Main much better as it serves a greater need as well as fills in a giant property that’s going to waste. It could also spur more growth and development for that area.

• Like 2