TTL News Bot

Area Police Respond To Incident At Arnot Mall

This afternoon at approximately 4:15 p.m., area police including the Chemung County Sheriff’s Department, Horseheads Police, New York State Police, and New York State Department OF Environmental Conservation Police responded to the Arnot Mall in Horseheads for a possible report of an active shooter.  

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 6.30.11 PM.png

When law enforcement arrived on scene, it was determined that there were no actual shots fired or victims located.  Further investigation revealed that there was no credible threat to the public. 

Elmira Telegram was on scene as a crowd of onlookers watched, while others exited the building and left the area. 

The investigation into the matter continues.

Original article posted here.

This was once completely f--ked up situation and God damned nightmare. 

We got a phone call from our son that he and his girlfriend were among a bunch of people hiding in one of the stores at the Mall. Nothing will scare the shit out of you as much as something as that will, especially right now. 

Long story short, we got there PDQ, they came out through one of the back doors, and everything was okay. There was a lot of indecision about whether or not they were to report to work, but I told the both of them do what they want. After having to hide in a godddamned mall, they deserve the night off if they want it.  

• Like 1

My wife called people running down the hallway into her store and closed the gate behind them and then shuffled everyone in to the back room. 

We went back up because we were told the theater was still operating and when we got there we got passes because they were not running.

While we were the the head of security asked my wife if she could hang out because NYSP wanted to search every room of the mall. We waited about 30 minutes and 2 troopers came in and searched. I asked them if the rumor was true that it was kid with an airsoft rifle and he was caught. They said they were still trying to identify him and they were not sure what type weapon it was. 

Of course my wife checks FB and someone is bashing her for allowing others in after their child was in the backroom. I say 🖕 to whoever that was. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Of course my wife checks FB and someone is bashing her for allowing others in after their child was in the backroom. I say 🖕 to whoever that was. 

She did what she needed to do. I agree,  🖕 'em. 

I doubt they'd have been "okay" with that same logic if their child had been in the corridor in fear of their life, and she refused to let them in.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Of course my wife checks FB and someone is bashing her for allowing others in after their child was in the backroom

They’re safe so screw everyone else?

🖕🏿

• Like 1

NYSP posted photos of two people they wished to "identify and speak with" in relation to this incident (and noted that charges were unlikely). The male of the pair was holding what appeared to be a colorful and likely plastic gun. 

After about 30-40 minutes (and a few dozen snarky comments about people being idiots for thinking "toy" could be a threat)....they removed the post.  I hope that means they located and have spoken with the individuals. 

Someone captured one of the photos that NYSP posted and deleted last night.  While I believe the conclusion that it was a BB or air-soft rifle, I can also see why someone could take it seriously -- and that there was no "good" reason for him to be carrying it around the mall whether he fired it or not. 

image.png.619c34b075ae774783050d8c0acaf7dd.png

image.png.9f5bffc23b03fe8de292241e365d2efc.png

If someone makes the comment that this a toy because it is all pretty colors and doesn’t appear to be real I would remind that any of the parts on this “ toy “ can be made on a 3D printer then the firing mechanism and barrel can be purchased online ! 
Just a short while ago I was handed a pistol made in this manner !
And lets remember the Mall has postings restricting firearms … the ones they can see , so the scenarios here could have played out in a number of ways which I won’t go into . 
Thankfully this did not escalate … this time !! 
But this Idiot needs an ass kickin’ from every family member of those present that for the panic he caused !  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hal said:

If someone makes the comment that this a toy because it is all pretty colors and doesn’t appear to be real I would remind that any of the parts on this “ toy “ can be made on a 3D printer then the firing mechanism and barrel can be purchased online ! 

A whole bunch of "someones" are making those comments on the WENY (and I assume also on WETM) FB pages....if you feel compelled to "splain this to them.

I avoid participating in those pointless debates....LOL

They don't know (or want to acknowledge) that there are dozens of online shops that offer accessory replacement parts in rainbow colors....like this

• Like 1

I'd like to add that I (personally) wouldn't necessarily assume that guy is a "juvenile".

From the dark hair/brows, it's in the realm of possibility that he's a youngster that started shaving early.....or just as easily could be at least 18-20 yrs old. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

A whole bunch of "someones" are making those comments on the WENY (and I assume also on WETM) FB pages....if you feel compelled to "splain this to them.

I avoid participating in those pointless debates....LOL

They don't know (or want to acknowledge) that there are dozens of online shops that offer accessory replacement parts in rainbow colors....like this

Already had my say on the subject on FarceBook , last I’ll say on the subject . There are more intelligent folks over than than I on any given subject . I usually don’t debate and most likely won’t do so on this matter . From where i sit in reading the local yokel tablet readers and the Local Law Enforcement comment its a matter of economics that its taken as “ everyone in a bit of a tizzy “ . Given that the Mall is a dying entity they don’t want a lot of bad press ! 

15 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

I'd like to add that I (personally) wouldn't necessarily assume that guy is a "juvenile".

From the dark hair/brows, it's in the realm of possibility that he's a youngster that started shaving early.....or just as easily could be at least 18-20 yrs old. 

Juvenile or whatever, this idiot and his cohort did this as a typical Dumb Ass stunt ! What stupid there doesn’t realize is this , he points that “Toy” at someone who is legally carrying a concealed weapon he may get the surprise of his life and maybe the last . 
But alas … he is probably at home in mom and dads basement with his buds laughing about this whole thing because he won’t be charged as it was a toy … this time ! But as I said at the very least an Ass whoopin’ is deserved here or a night in jail with “ bubba “ as his cell mate ! Sorry for the attitude but my family literally had skin in this “Tizzy “ and i’m pissed ! 

4 hours ago, MsKreed said:

I thought the same thing when I saw the picture.  He doesn't look like a teenager to me.  The whole holding the gun down and the hoodie up is threatening no matter what.  I hope they took the post down because he was identified and at the very least gets that ass whoopin Hal recommends.   I think that inciting a riot is also a very real charge he could get, juvenile or not, toy gun or not.

• Like 2