Chris

"Yet Another Mass Shooting In America" Superthread

11 minutes ago, KarenK said:

And yet you can be sure that someone is going to be outraged at that kid and demand charges be filed.  More than likely a family member of the deceased gunman.

He violated the mall's "gun free" policy.......https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2022/07/18/greenwood-mall-other-simon-malls-have-no-weapons-policy-bystander-carried-legally/65375923007/

As I've said before, "Concealed means concealed" and then worry about it later. But at least he ( and others ) are around to sort it out. What's the worst they'll do, ban him from the mall? They should be kissing his feet. 

• Like 4

It's mind boggling to me that any "news" source would question the armed bystander's actions.  

He resolved the situation in 2 minutes....while we're reading about the 376 officers on the scene in Uvalde with no action to stop the shooter for over an hour. 

• Like 1

Yeah and you know, NBC news really pissed me off last night with their, "Just how many shooting are stopped by a good guy with a gun?"They gave some statistics and it was like 73 were stopped because someone tackled the would be shooter and "only" 24 were by someone with a gun. 

And I was like, "Well it'd likely be a hell of a lot higher number if honest people were "allowed" to carry more.

Then I see people online talking about how the shooter still got three people. Yep, and how many more if it weren't for the armed citizen? People amaze me with their stupidity sometimes. 

While talking about our local mall, I had a LEO tell me one time, flat out, that in NY those with a CCW have the legal "duty to flee" if possible. 

Then he told me that morally, it was a whole other story, and there wasn't a cop that would hold it against you if you had a clean shot and stopped a shooter. He asked me point blank, "Would you be able to live with yourself if you knew you could have stopped it and didn't?"

If these pukes didn't KNOW that soft targets were so soft, I bet there'd be a lot less of this crap. 

20 hours ago, KarenK said:

And yet you can be sure that someone is going to be outraged at that kid and demand charges be filed.  More than likely a family member of the deceased gunman.

Absolutely but let them , see how far it goes ! Hell it may help turn the corner on these mass shootings of late . Kids a hero in many minds including whats left of mine and I don’t think anyone vilifying him would be able to prove his action didn't save more lives unlike at Uvalde where a pissing match over who was in charge was going on while children and teachers were cut down while in excess of 400 Law Enforcement were on scene but running From the gunfire . And how many of them were afraid to break protocol by not obeying chain of command , training etc ? But all that said … sometimes you have to play outside the rules , break training , disobey chain of command and just get in and get the the job done , one of those little things they teach you ( in a low voice but consistently  ) from day one at boot camp ! 
But to the topic at hand , i have no magic pill to stop all the whack jobs shooting innocents . And maybe that term should be “ mentally unstable “ , do I believe mental illness comes into play yes … to a point . But on the face of it the age of the average shooters are pretty close , I believe anyway and what is the common denominator , maybe Virtual Reality games , I can’t say for sure but i do see such things as contributing factors ! Social Media a sure way to get that “ 15 minutes of fame “ is another but again short of an EMP what is there we can do ?? 

From what I'm reading, the "good guy" did one hell of a job:

The chief said Dicken fired 10 rounds from his handgun, and that as he fired, Sapirman “attempted to retreat back into the restroom and failed, and fell to the ground after being shot.”

“He engaged the gunman from quite a distance with a handgun and was very proficient in that, very tactically sound. And as he moved to close in on the suspect, he was also motioning for people to exit behind him,” Ison said of Dicken.

Source

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.26.51 AM.png

• Like 2

On 7/19/2022 at 8:47 AM, Chris said:

While talking about our local mall, I had a LEO tell me one time, flat out, that in NY those with a CCW have the legal "duty to flee" if possible

See … that statement always gets me ! I have the “duty to flee or retreat “ to which , if that situation were to occur my answer would be “ flee … to where ?! Open court in Mall , either way i’m a target no matter which way I go so screw that  “ my duty “ crap ! My duty is to protect my family and myself ! 
That fella had some skills as that was definitely not a Point Shoot situation , more Sight Alignment , Trigger Control to put 8 out of ten rounds in that meat bag whom I’ll bet had an “Oh shit “ moment the second he came out looking to take out a bunch of innocent lives but was cut short , and down by a Quick thinking Good Guy . Morbid to think this I know but damn I would have liked to see his face when that first round hit him , only because his 15 minutes of fame was over in a matter or a Few seconds ! 

And I still believe that when these shootings happen the perpetrator should just disappear, no picture on social media , no back story , nothing , nada ! It may not stop all shootings but might prevent , however small the percentage , those that act out of a sense of irrelevancy  from seeing this as a way of getting some sort of validation that they exist ! 

The jury in the Parkland shooting has found Nicholas Cruz guilty, but so far recommend life in prison without parole instead of the death penalty. 

Police say a 15-year-old boy — dressed in camouflage and armed with a shotgun, according to 911 callers — turned the gently curving streets of Hedingham and the riverside greenway beyond into a killing zone. When the shooting was over Thursday, five people, including Connors, were dead.

Although police have not identified the shooter, who was captured hours after the attacks and was hospitalized in critical condition for unknown reasons, neighbors say they believe he lived in Hedingham.

Source

16 minutes ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

I believe they identified and posted his name in some other articles.

29 minutes ago, KarenK said:

I believe they identified and posted his name in some other articles.

Probably, but the ones that don't, I get why they wouldn't. Actually, I think they should insert some kind of insult in place of these dirtbags' names. 

"Mike Pissypants" appeared in court today..."

• Haha 1

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Six people were injured Monday morning in a shooting inside a St. Louis high school.

The shooting just after 9 a.m. at Central Visual and Performing Arts High School forced students to barricade doors and huddle in classroom corners, jump from windows and run out of the building to seek safety. Within minutes, the school was surrounded by dozens of police vehicles.

St. Louis Public Schools said on Twitter that the shooter was “quickly stopped” by police. A tweet from the police department said the shooter was in custody. No further details about the shooter were immediately released.

Source

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — A 22-year-old gunman opened fire in a gay nightclub in Colorado Springs, killing five people and leaving 18 injured before he was subdued by “heroic” patrons and arrested by police who were on the scene within minutes, authorities said Sunday.

Two firearms, including a “long rifle,” were found at Club Q after the Saturday night shooting, said Police Chief Adrian Vasquez.

Investigators were still determining a motive, and the attack was being investigated to see if it should be prosecuted as a hate crime, said El Paso County District Attorney Michael Allen.

Police identified the gunman as Anderson Lee Aldrich, who was in custody and being treated for injuries. A man with the same name and age was arrested in 2021 after his mother reported he threatened her with “a homemade bomb, multiple weapons and ammunition,” according to authorities.

Read more here.

time and again we read stories like this and time and again we hear "more gun laws". perhaps its not the guns but the failure of the system that enacts/"enforces" them?

• Like 1

DENVER (AP) — A year and a half before he was arrested in the Colorado Springs gay nightclub shooting that left five people dead, Anderson Lee Aldrich allegedly threatened his mother with a homemade bomb, forcing neighbors in surrounding homes to evacuate while the bomb squad and crisis negotiators talked him into surrendering.

Yet despite that scare, there’s no public record that prosecutors moved forward with felony kidnapping and menacing charges against Aldrich, or that police or relatives tried to trigger Colorado’s “red flag” law that would have allowed authorities to seize the weapons and ammo the man’s mother says he had with him.

Source

Cases like this are compelling examples of why there needs to be some discussion about the pros and cons of qualified immunity.

Individual "officials" who continually ignore their duties to report/enforce red flag triggers should be held accountable to victims/families.

• Like 1

It's mind boggling to me that average Joe Civilian would personally face fines/penalties, civil liability and possible criminal charges for selling a weapon to a red flagged individual (and in some cases the wrong ammo someone without a pistol permit), because "ignorance of the law is no excuse".....but those trusted with the responsibility to compile/maintain such records are completely unaccountable. 

Yeah that’s a really good point. Seems like the last, oh, half dozen shooters were called in for something else and someone dropped the ball.

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (AP) — A Walmart employee opened fire at a store in Virginia, leaving six people dead, police said Wednesday, in the country’s second high-profile mass killing in a handful of days. The assailant also killed himself.

The store in Chesapeake was busy just before the shooting Tuesday night with people stocking up ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday, a shopper told a local TV station.

There was no clear motive for the shooting, which also left four people in the hospital, police chief Mark G. Solesky said. The gunman’s home was searched, but Solesky did not give his name, only saying he was a Walmart employee, because his family had not been notified.

“I am devastated by the senseless act of violence that took place late last night in our city,” Mayor Rick W. West said in a statement posted on the city’s Twitter account Wednesday. “Chesapeake is a tightknit community and we are all shaken by this news.”

Joetta Jeffery told CNN that she received text messages from her mother who was inside the store when the shots were fired. Her mother, Betsy Umphlett, was not injured.

“I’m crying, I’m shaking,” Jeffery said. “I had just talked to her about buying turkeys for Thanksgiving, then this text came in.”

A database run by The Associated Press, USA Today and Northeastern University that tracks every mass killing in America going back to 2006 shows this year has been especially bad. The U.S. has now had 40 mass killings so far this year, second to the 45 that occurred for all of 2019. The database defines a mass killing as at least four people killed, not including the killer.

Source

MONTEREY PARK, Calif. (AP) — A gunman killed 10 people at a ballroom dance studio amid a day of Lunar New Year celebrations and then may have tried - but failed - to target a second dance hall, authorities said Sunday. An urgent search was underway across the Los Angeles area for the suspect.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said that 20 to 30 minutes after the shooting at the Star Ballroom Dance Studio in Monterey Park late Saturday - which left five women and five men dead and another 10 people injured - a man with a gun entered the Lai Lai Ballroom in nearby Alhambra. Luna said it’s still unclear whether the events are connected.

“We believe that there’s an incident that may be related,” said Luna of the incident in Alhambra. “We’re not quire there yet, but it’s definitely on our radar screen.”

Luna said that a “male Asian suspect” entered the Alhambra club with a “firearm” and that people wrestled the gun away from him before he fled. Investigators are interested in a white cargo van that was seen in the area and that police have the gun from Alhambra.

Luna declined to say what type of gun was recovered in Alhambra, and said that investigators believe the fire arm used Monterey Park was not an “assault rifle.”

Read more here.

What's disturbing to me is how little we ( or at least I ) react to these stories anymore. Incidents like this have become so friggin commonplace we barely flinch. I don't know if it's the frequency with which they occur or the relentless "news" coverage that's caused this. 

HALF MOON BAY, Calif. (AP) — A gunman killed seven people at two agricultural businesses in Northern California, plunging the state into mourning again in the wake of its third mass killing in eight days.

Officers arrested a suspect in Monday’s shootings, 67-year-old Chunli Zhao, after they found him in his car in the parking lot of a sheriff’s substation, San Mateo County Sheriff Christina Corpus said.

Seven people were found dead and an eighth injured at a farm and another location several miles away, the Sheriff’s Office said. Officials believe Zhao worked at one of the facilities and that the victims were workers as well, Corpus said. Officials haven’t determined a motive for the shooting.

Source