Sign in to follow this  
TTL News Bot

Finding Humor In Everyday Life, Waverly Columnist Wins Keystone Press Awards

Waverly, N.Y. — Waverly resident and writer Maggie Barnes thought she was doing a good thing, but a little research into the impact of cashews on squirrels sent her running out the door to save a small, furry life.

“I looked at my heaping gift of poison pills, then at the squirrel and began to panic. Great. I was about to single-handedly wipe out the gray squirrel population in East Elmira,”  the columnist wrote in “Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut” for Mountain Home Magazine, a lifestyle publication based in Wellsboro, Pennsylvania. That column, along with two others, recently earned Barnes first place for column writing by the Pennsylvania Press Association’s 2022 Keystone Press Awards.

The humor and human interest writer received the award for her columns which celebrate the silliness in everyday life...

Read the rest here.

I read Maggie's book and it's a hoot. This award is very well deserved. 

I wish we could snap her up from Mountain Home. 

On 5/15/2022 at 11:14 AM, Chris said:

I read Maggie's book and it's a hoot. This award is very well deserved. 

I wish we could snap her up from Mountain Home. 

So I went and read the rest of the above news article, and three of her stories including "Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut" - hilarious!!  Great sense of humor...!