Sign in to follow this  
Chris

How To Build A Concrete Block Raised Bed Garden

Why concrete block raised bed gardening?

• Concrete blocks are easy to salvage from random places: vacant lots, behind barns, and wherever else.
  • They provide a nice, wide platform that you can sit on to plant, weed and water.
  • No drilling or screwing required, just drop into place.
  • Easily adaptable to form hoop houses, screen plants, etc.
  • I think they look kinda cool.

I began construction of the first bed in the late summer so it’d be ready for spring planting. That also gave weeds a chance to grow, which I then killed, reducing the next year’s total weed count.

Read the rest here.

One of my beds is starting to show signs of age, and might only last me another season. I'm sure the other two aren't far behind. 

I was considering other materials, and hadn't though of concrete block. The advantage is you can raise the height over time ( when bending over becomes more difficult ). 

I like this idea ! Four course block with cappers all around . As an added bonus one could use a drill fitted with an auger to loosen the soil in the Spring to mix in compost etc all while sitting on the side , earbuds in and cold beerverage at the ready 😆

I need to see how much a pallet of concrete blocks would cost. This is the way I'm gonna go as the beds need to be replaced. 

It looks like a pallet of concrete blocks ( 8x8x16 ) is anywhere from 72 to 90 blocks depending on who you ask. At $2.08/ block, it seems like the economical way to go instead of lumber!

Im thinking 16” ( 2 blocks high ) high is a good depth.