TTL News

Legalized Recreational Marijuana In NY

Recreational Marijuana Poll  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the legalization of recreational marijuana use in New York?

• Yes
    • No

They'd have to wait for the results to come back, unless there is a reliable, foolproof way to perform on site testing with immediate results. 

I would be curious to know what tests they ran on them as well. I think it would be a hoot to help them with their training for those tests.  I think the length of time it stays in your system should not count against you. Me being of bigger size and slower metabolism it stays in my system longer so that system works against me. 

Problem I see with this is, say you partook two weeks ago, and maybe are driving home tired, completely sober, and get pulled over. 

Now, I guess you wouldn't smell like it, at least I hope not, so the officer wouldn't have probably cause to begin with. But for argument's sake, let's say they ask, you say, "I do smoke it, but haven't in a couple weeks," ( which would be stupid as hell to say in the first place, but you know it happens ) and they haul you in on the suspicion. 

And I think @Christina Sonsire eluded to this once somewhere on here or the old site, that there's no quantitative way to determine WHEN you were under the influence. So for all we know, it's in your system, you're under the influence. Which seems would give a good defense attorney a slam dunk case. 

I don't know, just seems like something they didn't think through in their rush towards legalization.

I really hope that a reliable, empirical tests can be developed. I suspect that R&D for such testing may be hindered by the federal "schedule 1" designation. 

In the meantime, the idea that some states are relying on testimony from arresting officers instead of any scientific testing is sort of a civil rights nightmare to me. 

"Yeah, that's what they said," Ebner replied. "The test results were wrong, and also, if I had a urine test, it would have come back positive for drugs."

But Katelyn got her own urine test the same week as her arrest -- scanning for any metabolites that would still be in her system. The urine test was also negative for marijuana -- or other drugs.

"This training is so powerful, that they believe they can detect drugs that a blood test will not detect," Keefe said. "Is that surprising to you?"

The "drug whisperer" SOURCE

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Chris said:

They'd have to wait for the results to come back, unless there is a reliable, foolproof way to perform on site testing with immediate results. 

There was a wait for the blood test results and sometimes a defendant got lucky when results were lost.

Watkins Glen, N.Y., January 12—State Senator Tom O’Mara (R,C-Big Flats), Assemblyman Phil Palmesano (R,C-Corning), and Assemblyman Chris Friend (R,C-Big Flats) today joined regional law enforcement representatives and other local leaders to call on Governor Kathy Hochul and the Democrat leaders of the State Legislature to approve legislation and crack down on the proliferation of businesses, commonly known as “sticker stores,” illegally dispensing and selling marijuana throughout the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes regions, and statewide.                                           

O’Mara, Palmesano, and Friend currently sponsor legislation (S9365/A9815, Note: This legislation is being reintroduced and will receive new bill numbers for the 2023 legislative session) that, if enacted, would strengthen existing law, outlaw sticker stores, and establish criminal and civil penalties for violators. Any civil penalties collected by the state would be remitted to the county of the violating establishment. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 11.22.39 AM.png

They called on Hochul and the Democrat leaders of the Senate and Assembly to immediately enact the legislation. 

In a joint statement, O’Mara, Palmesano, and Friend said, “New York State needs to stop the proliferation of illegal marijuana ‘sticker stores’ throughout the region we represent and statewide. These illegal operations diminish the quality of life and risk the safety of the communities and neighborhoods where they operate. New York State is establishing a legal and appropriately regulated network of adult-use recreational marijuana dispensaries, with all the necessary safeguards. While we opposed the legalization of marijuana from the outset, if it’s going to go forward, it needs to take place under a legally established system with the appropriate oversight. We need to make it clear that these illegal sticker stores cannot operate and that there are criminal and civil consequences for any owners who continue to do so.”   

Calling on Hochul to step up state efforts to shut down the illegal operations, including the enactment of the legislation they sponsor, the area state legislators were joined in Watkins Glen today by the following regional law enforcement representatives and local leaders: Schuyler County Sheriff Kevin Rumsey; Schuyler County Administrator Fonda Chronis; Schuyler County District Attorney Joe Fazzary; Schuyler County Attorney Steven Getman; Schuyler County Legislator Phil Barnes; Chemung County Sheriff William Schrom; Chemung County Executive Assistant District Attorney Wayne Witherwax; Chemung County Legislator Bill McCarthy; Steuben County Sheriff James Allard; Steuben County Legislator Hilda Lando; Tioga County Sheriff Gary Howard; Tioga County District Attorney Kirk Martin; Penn Yan Police Chief Todd Dunham; and Yates County District Attorney Todd Casella. 

Chemung County Sheriff William Schrom said, “This proposed legislation, if passed, will close loopholes in the existing laws which is long overdue. Legitimate business owners have to adhere to the rules and regulations of the state to run their businesses legally and so should sticker stores. These stores have been allowed to operate with no oversight and are benefitting financially as a result. This is just another example of failed policy from our leadership who continues to be more concerned about quickly passing and implementing new ‘innovative’ policies without thinking them through first or having the appropriate oversites in place to ensure compliance. These stores continue to operate and distribute marihuana without any regulatory oversight to even ensure the product is safe.”     

New York State legalized adult-use recreational marijuana in 2021. Since then, commercial establishments, commonly known as "sticker stores," have used their businesses as a front to sell or gift cannabis without the requisite lawful authority or permission from the state. Sticker stores have taken advantage of what they consider a "loophole" in the state cannabis law because the law's language does not expressly prohibit the "gifting" of cannabis products to individuals. To take advantage of this perceived loophole, sticker stores sell a number of inexpensive items, such as stickers, at a substantially inflated price and then provide marijuana as a "free gift" along with their purchase.  

In February 2022, the newly established state Office of Cannabis Management (OCM) deemed the practice of gifting “illegal under the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act (MRTA).” At that time, OCM identified more than two dozen alleged violators statewide and sent cease and desist letters to the owners of illegal operations. 

OCM Executive Director Chris Alexander said at that time, “We want to make sure these operators fully understand the law and the consequences they face and now that these letters have been sent, we fully expect them to cease and desist their activities – if they don’t, we will take action. New York State is building a legal, regulated cannabis market that will ensure products are tested and safe for consumers while providing opportunities for those from communities most impacted by the over criminalization of the cannabis prohibition, and illegal operations undermine our ability to do that. We encourage New Yorkers to not partake in illicit sales where products may not be safe and we will continue to work to ensure that New Yorkers have a pathway to sell legally in the new industry.” 

Despite OCM’s enforcement actions and warnings, numerous stores locally and throughout New York continue to violate the law with minimal consequences. O’Mara and Palmesano said that the OCM’s warnings have been ignored and illegal stores have proliferated statewide, including locally in Watkins Glen, Corning, Elmira, and Owego, where local police agencies have raided several stores and attempted to shut them down.  

O’Mara, Palmesano, Friend and the regional law enforcement officers are concerned that the number of illegal businesses will continue to rise across the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes if the Governor and Legislature do not take action to stop these illegal stores from operating. 

While I'm still all for legalization, it's pretty obvious they way it was rolled out was more about gaining political points than anything. Chiefly, the way it's being used in public. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone at a stoplight puffing on a blunt, the smell of weed emanating from their vehicle. Or had a car go zipping past while walking the dog and all you can smell is the smoke. People out in front of establishments lighting up and smoking a quick bowl.

Try any of that with a can of Budweiser and see what happens. 

As for these sticker stores, I honestly don't care so long as they're doing business and paying the same kind of taxes any other small business would have to. 

What’s sad is that simply driving through Elmira all you smell is marijuana.  

1 hour ago, Chris said:

As for these sticker stores, I honestly don't care so long as they're doing business and paying the same kind of taxes any other small business would have to. 

I think that's the problem.  Bars, liquor stores, and any other establishment that sells "controlled" products have permits, licenses and proper insurance. These sticker stores are just operating as retail establishments and not paying or doing any of that.  Which isn't fair at all.  

Wait until the first one that gets some inferior product laced with something.  That will be that.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KarenK said:

I think that's the problem.  Bars, liquor stores, and any other establishment that sells "controlled" products have permits, licenses and proper insurance. These sticker stores are just operating as retail establishments and not paying or doing any of that.  Which isn't fair at all.  

Wait until the first one that gets some inferior product laced with something.  That will be that.

Actually some of them are already selling CBD sprayed with THC not to mention all the black market edibles being sold made with who knows what. Basically if it comes in a knock off package of a brand name its fake. 90% of the vape type products being sold are also black market poop made with who knows what chemicals. My suggestion avoid 99% of the local stores find a grower who takes pride in what they do and it will reflect in the product.

If you want to check out a local shop the only one I would recommend is World Peace on Water street in Elmira. They deal mostly with local growers and have set themselves apart from "sticker stores".

Most definitely  avoid the 2 that have the little sticker store radio commercial wars

• Like 1

unless mistaken, the majority of the sticker stores are getting product either by going out of state and bringing it back, or going downstate and buying from suplliers who have done the same. seems theres some legal issues there as well as not being able to verify the stuff hasnt been laced

On 1/17/2023 at 11:15 AM, Adam said:

unless mistaken, the majority of the sticker stores are getting product either by going out of state and bringing it back, or going downstate and buying from suplliers who have done the same. seems theres some legal issues there as well as not being able to verify the stuff hasnt been laced

About the only thing it is being laced with is THC distillate spray. Dealers are not wasting the expensive product to lace some low quality weed.

You are correct they are going out of state and most of its west coast reject product and they are all getting it from the same supplier. 

Even once the legal dispo's open up in NY I wouldn't touch their product either. They have no regulations in place for mold and quality control.

Even the medical grade from the actual pharmacy in Johnson city is not all that good and its expensive. 

Personally I have been dealing with a grower in Binghamton area who is awesome and grows some high quality flower. They take great pride in their product and are all organic and it shows. My edibles I get from a trusted source out near Auburn who makes all sorts of snacks and now even regular and decaf infused coffee. These guys know their shit and you are not dealing with your typical "dude where's my car" type of people.

4 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

About the only thing it is being laced with is THC distillate spray. Dealers are not wasting the expensive product to lace some low quality weed.

You are correct they are going out of state and most of its west coast reject product and they are all getting it from the same supplier. 

Even once the legal dispo's open up in NY I wouldn't touch their product either. They have no regulations in place for mold and quality control.

Even the medical grade from the actual pharmacy in Johnson city is not all that good and its expensive. 

Personally I have been dealing with a grower in Binghamton area who is awesome and grows some high quality flower. They take great pride in their product and are all organic and it shows. My edibles I get from a trusted source out near Auburn who makes all sorts of snacks and now even regular and decaf infused coffee. These guys know their shit and you are not dealing with your typical "dude where's my car" type of people.

i guess the inevitable question should be: despite the grey area of selling/gifting, they are still transporting schedule 1 drug across state borders, one would think that in itself would be a non-starter and a way of shutting them down

15 hours ago, Adam said:

i guess the inevitable question should be: despite the grey area of selling/gifting, they are still transporting schedule 1 drug across state borders, one would think that in itself would be a non-starter and a way of shutting them down

Got to catch them first and you know its not the shop owners going themselves or at least transporting it anyways. 

Governor Kathy Hochul today announced the first of the Conditional Adult-Use Retail Dispensary licenses in the Southern Tier will open in Binghamton. The opening of the store advances New York State's Seeding Opportunity Initiative and the state's goals of equity in cannabis licensing, which prioritizes providing licenses to justice-involved individuals who are people with a cannabis conviction or a close relative of someone with one, and non-profits that serve justice-involved individuals. The planning board in Binghamton gave its final approval yesterday evening, clearing the way for the store to open February 10.

"With the opening of new dispensaries like Just Breathe in Binghamton, we continue to expand the nation's most equitable and inclusive cannabis industry here in New York," Governor Hochul said. "New York remains committed to supporting independent business dispensary owners, New York farmers who poured their heart into their harvest, and every adult who wants to enjoy legally purchased cannabis in and from the Empire State."

The dispensary opening in Binghamton - Just Breathe at 75 Court Street - will be owned and operated by a partnership between an experienced local entrepreneur, Damien Cornwell, and the Non-Profit Broome County Urban League. Cornwell has helped to spearhead initiatives with the BCUL, providing justice-involved individuals with resources, education and pathways to careers over the past two decades. The store will open in the same location as a currently licensed cannabinoid hemp retailer, which has successfully been introducing cannabis-derived products, such as CBD oil and flower, to the community since 2020.

A first in the Southern Tier, the licensed dispensary will open for customers in the heart of a revitalized Binghamton downtown with products sourced from farmers in the area and across New York State.

The greedy bastards are trying to tax it by the THC content now which will screw them and the legal market and just push more people to the grey market. With the potency tax 3.5 grams will be about $158.00 

So if they want to charge a potency tax on THC why not charge extra for high alcohol content liquor or beer

5 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

So if they want to charge a potency tax on THC why not charge extra for high alcohol content liquor or beer

I agree with your premise....but no need to give them any ideas!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MsKreed said:

What I am waiting for is for them to figure out a way to tax home growers

On 2/8/2023 at 1:01 PM, MsKreed said:

I agree!  The wine I like best is already expensive.  I so wanted to buy a bottle of Dr Franks the other day but $20 for a bottle was just too much.

A bit late to the conversation...

It always worried me- when this was being debated the studies often referenced were from the 60s-80s

The Marijuana grown today is a  totally different situation.  I can tell you 20 years ago I practically never saw people in the ED for pot issues - no so anymore.

it started with an increase in patient with cyclic vomiting (NOT fun), and then we started getting the psychosis patients.  That is no joke! 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/mental-health/marijuana-induced-psychiatric-disorders-high-potency-weed-psychosis-rcna146072