Sign in to follow this  
Chris

"This Is Us" Final Season ( Probable Spoilers Ahead )

Anyone else still watching this show? What do you think of the final episodes?

We have the final episodes waiting to be viewed so i’ll just skip this thread until we do 😆

I don't even think I have heard of the show. But I am glad you enjoyed it.

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

I don't even think I have heard of the show. But I am glad you enjoyed it.

You should check it out, it’s really good. Kind of like a modern day “Waltons” only they’re city people and not so folksy.

• Like 1

Okay all caught up and thet are wrapping it all together with each one’s story. Interesting but knowing where they are taking it is going to be a bit difficult…

We are caught up on the 5 episodes we had recorded and all I can say is Wow.  I have always enjoyed this show but these last episodes draw you in so deep.  I cried along with the characters listening to Rebecca sing at Kate’s wedding.  These actors bring such life to the characters they portray.  This is the type of show that deserves an Academy Award.  I can’t wait for the final four episodes, tissues ready.

Man, the writing in this show. Now it’s a matter of, you know what’s coming but it’s how they do it that makes it work so damned well.

This week's episode was amazing. And even though you knew how it was going to end, they did it well. 

Unfortunately our DVR cut off the last 30 seconds but thanks to technology we were able to track it down and watch it on Andy's Hulu account. 

We still have 3 episodes recorded.  I started watching Miguel’s episode but stopped when Hubby had to do something.  I see there is an episode this Tuesday.  I wonder if that’s the last one.

5 hours ago, Ann said:

I wonder if that’s the last one.

It is. 

Fogelman is circumspect about finale details but suggested it’s the opposite of shocking given how much has been resolved for the characters.

“The goal of the ending was always to just sit with this family in the simplest of ways,” he said. “Where there’s not that many questions left, and you can sit and enjoy almost the equivalent of found footage of a family, combined with a very meditative day.”

Moore was asked whether the Pearson saga could one day be resumed, perhaps as a spin-off or a movie a la “Downton Abbey.” That’s hard to imagine given Fogelman’s determination to end it as planned, she said.

“We’re really grateful that we’re able to do that and honor that,” Moore said. “I feel like the audience will be incredibly satisfied with how things are wrapped up.”

Source

A perfect ending to perhaps the perfect tv series.

Okay, I see a lot of people don't agree. 

I'd read, just yesterday somewhere, that the producers filmed the last episode that way for a reason. They've been wringing the characters' and viewers' hearts for the past few weeks. So they decided to give it a more meaningful ending. Let's be honest, we all knew Rebecca was going to die. Hell, we've known that for how many seasons? So much like real life, her death isn't the end of her and Jack's story. 

I think how they did that, in flashes between generations, was well done. 

I also noticed that Deja called Randall "Dad." I don't recall if she'd done that before, meaning either they did it intentionally last night, or they phased it in as their relationship grew so well I didn't notice. 

8 hours ago, Chris said:

I also noticed that Deja called Randall "Dad." I don't recall if she'd done that before, meaning either they did it intentionally last night, or they phased it in as their relationship grew so well I didn't notice. 

Still have the last three episodes to watch but Deja did previously tell Randall he was her Dad after they made peace over the boyfriend.

Watching the last two now … did it have to be a train ! 
Anybody else feel like an emotional tennis ball ? Going through this with my mom I really shouldn’t be sitting here but … 

Edited by Hal
  • Like 1

I loved this show, the characters and story line.  The ending was perfect in my opinion.

You've had a lot of landmark episodes leading up to this finale: the end of Kate and Toby's marriage, the death of Rebecca's second husband Miguel, and Rebecca's death. Do you have a sense of how the audience has received what you've done?

I knew that we had taken this big giant swing with the death of a beloved character. It was a big final twist in our storytelling. And my hope was to clear that out, and then sit with a family — which, at its core, is what this show has always been about. It does feel like this rewarding epilogue. 

I'm an angsty guy and the show has been such a contact sport for our audience, as I call it. People who like this show, those who have stuck with it — they take in the show in a different kind of way. I wanted to do right by everybody and leave them with the right feeling at the end of it.

The final season was building towards the death of Rebecca. But that happened in the second-to-last episode, instead of the final one.

It was always my plan. I thought the show was never about the just the passing of a parent or a parent dying. It was about how you move on afterwards and how you carry them with you. It's literally the final message spoken on the show. So much of this show has been about just that: Sad things and bad things will happen to us ... We're going to experience hardship in various forms. But I didn't want to end on the hardship.

An interesting article. Check it out here.

• Like 1