Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

NY Covid News Superthread

11 hours ago, Chris said:

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar folks.

Yes, and sometimes a horse isn’t just a horse.   People can become complacent, not paying attention to what is happening around them  and then surprise,  the world you know is gone.  
I think we’ve learned enough this past year to be able to function responsibly so let’s see how easily, for example, our Governor willingly gives up his executive powers.  Time will tell.

Edited by Ann
added “just”
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Did I miss the response agreeing to the terms of that bet?

LOL no, you didn’t. I’m trying to decide a realistic timeline. I’m guessing by this time in 2022, but not certain. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility it could be Summer 2022.

But I’m thinking $50 to the Arctic League?

On 2/27/2021 at 6:26 PM, Chris said:

I see statements like that getting thrown around all the time still and it drives me nuts. Who is this nefarious "they" and what is "their" motivation? It astounds me what people will believe. But then there's still people who think the Earth is flat and only 6,000 years old. 

I wonder if people were this frigging paranoid back in 1918 too.  

EDIT: I just want to clarify, I’m not calling Mahatma paranoid, but more the idea that this is all somehow “all about controlling us”.

lol, Chris i know you well enough to know that, no worries pal! 

first your analogy to 1918 does not fit for a number of reasons.  medical advancements and the understanding of how viruses and bacteria work and spread are concepts that are much better understood now than in 1918 AND yet they want us to cover our face rather than use medical advancements learned.  its equivalent to using leaches and blood letting, but i digress! 

the "they" i am referring to quite simply is  our govt. overlords, at all levels.   furthermore the media and silicon valley are on board with keeping us down and the level of control the individual state governments have and continue to instill upon us!  I mean 1 year ago our then president declared a federal state of emergency that opened up all kinds of funds and control options for state executives....and they have yet to relinquish it!  2 weeks to "flatten the curve" has lasted months to a year....lockdowns have been proven not to work and yet we had two last year in NY that were  planned and enforced around the election.  unprecedented Unemployment benefits were put in place about a year  and have been continuously extended!  you think they want us working supporting ourselves or do they want us dependent on them?  Even our local leaders were much more willing to cheer on stimulus $$$ and not reopening of local businesses!   

my posts may come off as paranoid and people may try to diminish my position by calling me a "conspiracy theorist" and when that happens i wear that badge with honor!  the simple fact remains that ive never felt more alive and more comfortable in my societal beliefs!  YMMV

• Like 2

Yesterday Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that as the federal vaccine supply continues to increase, New York will establish 10 additional state-run mass vaccination sites in the New York City, Long Island, Hudson Valley, Capital, Southern Tier, Mohawk Valley and Western New York regions to further grow New York's vast distribution network. The sites remain in development and are expected to launch in the coming weeks. Final details, including appointment scheduling information and hours of operation will be released in the coming days.  

"Thanks to increasing vaccine supply from our partners in Washington we can utilize more of our state's capacity to distribute doses, and once they are open, these new sites will allow us to continue to get shots into arms on a large scale," Governor Cuomo said. "We know the vaccine is the weapon that will win this war, but it's only effective if we all take it, which is why we are working around the clock to establish sites like these across the state to reach as many New Yorkers as possible. The more people we vaccinate, the more we can continue our progress in keeping the infection rate at bay, reopening our economy and defeating COVID once and for all."   

For the Southern Tier, Corning Community College was chosen as the site. 

The sites remain in development and are expected to launch in the coming weeks. Final details, including appointment scheduling information and hours of operation will be released in the coming days. Once appointments are opened, eligible New Yorkers will be able to schedule appointments by utilizing New York's 'Am I Eligible' website or by calling the state's COVID-19 Vaccination Hotline at 1-833-NYS-4-VAX (1-833-697-4829).

This one really threw me. CCC?  Two roads in and two roads out (if you even know the back way) and not particularly nice roads to travel either.  Possibly the most difficult site to get to in the Southern Tier.  Seems like they did that on purpose.

• Like 1

I agree, the invitation that Moss extended to use the Wings of Eagles facility made much more sense. Easy highway access and ample space/parking.

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced today that domestic travelers will no longer be required to quarantine after entering New York from another U.S. State or U.S. Territory starting April 1st. While no longer required, the NYS Department of Health still recommends quarantine after domestic travel as an added precaution. Mandatory quarantine remains in effect for international travelers. All travelers must continue to fill out the Traveler Health Form. Individuals should continue strict adherence to all safety guidelines to stop the spread - wearing masks, socially distancing and avoiding gatherings.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.58.19 AM.png

"New Yorkers have shown strength and perseverance throughout this entire pandemic, and it shows through the numbers that continue to decrease every day," Governor Cuomo said. "As we work to build our vaccination infrastructure even further and get more shots in arms, we're making significant progress in winning the footrace between the infection rate and the vaccination rate, allowing us to open new sectors of our economy and start our transition to a new normal in a post-pandemic world. As part of that transition, quarantine for domestic travelers is no longer required, but it is still being advised as an added precaution. This is great news, but it is not an all-clear for New Yorkers to let their guard down. To beat this virus once and for all we all must continue doing what we know works to stop the spread, including wearing masks, washing our hands and practicing social distancing."

Regardless of quarantine status, all individuals exposed to COVID-19 or returning from travel must:

• Continue daily symptom monitoring through Day 14;
  • Continue strict adherence to all recommended non-pharmaceutical interventions, including hand hygiene and the use of face coverings, through Day 14 (even if fully vaccinated);
  • Must immediately self-isolate if any symptoms develop and contact the local public health authority or their healthcare provider to report this change in clinical status and determine if they should seek testing.

Earlier today New York Department of Health Secretary Dr. Howard Zucker released the following statement:

"Today the CDC and FDA issued a statement recommending a pause in the use of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine out of an abundance of caution. New York State will follow the CDC and FDA recommendation and pause the use of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine statewide immediately today while these health and safety agencies evaluate next steps. All appointments for Johnson & Johnson vaccines today at New York State mass vaccination sites will be honored with the Pfizer vaccine.

"As the CDC and FDA have said, any adverse events related to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine 'appear to be extremely rare' and, 'People who have received the J&J vaccine who develop severe headache, abdominal pain, leg pain, or shortness of breath within three weeks after vaccination should contact their health care provider.'

"I am in constant contact with the federal government and we will update New Yorkers as more information becomes available."

No word has been issued as to how long this pause will remain in effect. 

I'm a little confused that they're singling out the J&J product.  If there's more to it than the "extremely rare" symptoms mentioned in that statement, I think the public deserves details.

Health officials acknowledged when the first (2-dose)vaccines were granted emergency authorization that they expected adverse effects like fatigue, headache and muscle to be quite common (anywhere from 30 to 60% of recipients). And from the number of healthcare workers we've seen leaving work and calling in due to COVID vaccine reactions (particularly after second dose), that prediction has proven quite accurate.

From December:

Fatigue has been reported by roughly 63 percent of research subjects who received the vaccine, while headache and muscle pain have affected about 55 and 38 percent of participants, respectively. In most cases, those symptoms have been mild and resolved within a day or so.

Smaller numbers of participants reported chills, joint pain, or fever following vaccination.

Participants were more likely to report such symptoms following the second dose of the vaccine.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-we-know-about-the-side-effects-of-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine

The J&J vaccine has been tentatively linked to six reported U.S. cases of a rare and severe type of blood clot. 

21 minutes ago, Nick said:

The J&J vaccine has been tentatively linked to six reported U.S. cases of a rare and severe type of blood clot. 

Now, that is the kind of information Zucker should have clearly cited in his statement.

The way he broadly noted "adverse events" while rolling into a list of symptoms that seem to be commonly occurring with all the vaccines was unnecessarily vague.

I don’t know. I saw mention of blood clots before all this with the Johnson and Johnson ever came up, though I can’t recall which one. A handful out of thousands isn’t really enough to get my ass hairs raised but who knows.

It occurs to me though, that increased issues with blood clotting is actually one of the “silent” effects of COVID. I’m curious if any of these people with clotting issues have been tested for it.

They had previously been reporting a possible link to blood clotting with the AstraZeneca vaccine in Europe. Very small numbers, so a hard call to make. A decision process probably shaped by the seat you're in.

Argh... this is frustrating. 

The J&J vaccine was reported to possibly be linked to Cerebral Venous Sinus Thrombosis because of 6 cases reported out of the 6.8 million doses given. 

The EXPECTED (not vaccine related) annual incidence for this type of clot is 5 out of 1 million 

So the incidence in the post-vaccine group is LESS THAN what should be expected...

Get your vaccine! And hopefully they restart administering the J&J vaccine soon!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/cerebral-venous-sinus-thrombosis%3famp=true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1263898

SmartSelect_20210413-125645_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

...research suggests the drugs carry a significantly lower threat of clotting than the disease they've been proven to fend off. 

The risk of developing a rare brain clot from Covid-19 is about eight times greater than from the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine, according to a new study.

So far the known cases of blood clots associated with the vaccine are less than one in a million. And really, what other circumstances could have led to that handful of people?

I do recall when this all started last year there being a noticeable increase in strokes or similar issues. I'd have to talk to the person who was keeping track of that to see just how much more noticeable, but I do remember it being discussed locally. 

Nothing is without risk. I guess the question is which risk are you willing to take?

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that, based on current COVID trajectory, all New York State schools will reopen for full in-person learning for the 2021-2022 school year beginning in September.  

"Our children lost so much as COVID struck our state. A year of socialization, a year of memories, and even more," Governor Cuomo said. "While teachers and school administrators did an incredible job pivoting to remote learning with virtually zero notice, there's no denying the discrimination students who did not have the right equipment faced. With the way our COVID numbers are currently trending, there is no reason why our students should not get back to in-person learning as usual and we look forward to welcoming them back. If there is a change in the trajectory of the virus, we will revisit the decision."

This comes on the heels of news that the statewide seven day average positivity rate has fallen to 0.90%, the lowest since September 21st. 

This is great news.  Now about the sudden mask mandate for little children in daycare................??