Sign in to follow this  
TTL News Bot

NY Covid News Superthread

13 minutes ago, Mahatma said:

At what point do you see airlines not allow non-vaccinated people on their planes?  at what point do you see cities not allowing non-vaccinated people the ability to ride the bus or the subway?  i say by the end of this year!   What say you? 

I see it closer , more like in the Fall ! Its a government push to get vaccinated and yes i am fully vaccinated myself . And Having the whole conversation with medical types in the family , they make sense to us in what they tell us . And no i will not go into the whole two sided , vaxed and unvaxed argument . Its a personal choice …  

7 minutes ago, Hal said:

I see it closer , more like in the Fall ! Its a government push to get vaccinated and yes i am fully vaccinated myself . And Having the whole conversation with medical types in the family , they make sense to us in what they tell us . And no i will not go into the whole two sided , vaxed and unvaxed argument . Its a personal choice …  

I guess my question is more about the social ramifications that come with this "personal choice"...not the choice itself.  but also a person like myself who has made my decision about the shot  and who also has antibodies from past exposure.   where does that leave me.  are we really ok with a two tier citizenship in America?  

oh im sorry, i thought this was 'Murica!  -Randy Marsh 

37 minutes ago, Mahatma said:

who also has antibodies from past exposure

This seriously needs to become part of the equation.

When other vaccines have become "mandatory" for NYS schools, they were only for children who could not prove immunity from prior exposure.  Somehow, there seems to be a concerted effort to omit this group (>35 million people) from all discussion on Covid.... it is mind boggling. 

The CDC's FAQ page  that says we should rely on the vaccine for the very same reason we should not rely on natural immunity (because we "don't know")

image.png.f407b1a819b21789d7ebbcae2c4bca15.png

However, we have learned more about natural and vaccine-induced immunity.....

There is strong evidence that says previously infected individuals are unlikely to benefit from COVID-19 vaccination, and vaccines can be safely prioritized to those who have not been infected before.

Meanwhile, the CDC has recently observed outbreaks with significantly more cases (and hospitalizations) among fully vaccinated than unvaccinated.

Approximately three quarters (346; 74%) of cases occurred in fully vaccinated persons (those who had completed a 2-dose course of mRNA vaccine [Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna] or had received a single dose of Janssen [Johnson & Johnson] vaccine ≥14 days before exposure). Genomic sequencing of specimens from 133 patients identified the B.1.617.2 (Delta) variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in 119 (89%) and the Delta AY.3 sublineage in one (1%). Overall, 274 (79%) vaccinated patients with breakthrough infection were symptomatic. Among five COVID-19 patients who were hospitalized, four were fully vaccinated; no deaths were reported. 

And yet more and more mandates are doubling down on vaccines and refusing to recognize natural immunity.

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

You can still support the businesses by using something like Door Dash.

Well, I like to eat out and would much rather.  In addition Door Dash (and all the rest)  is not a big fan of delivery to end of the earth Erin NY.  None of them are and although I love the Tavern, it does get old.

On her first day in office, Governor Kathy Hochul announced a new, comprehensive plan to help ensure a safe, productive return to schools this fall in the midst of rising COVID-19 numbers fueled by the Delta variant. As part of this plan, Governor Hochul has directed the New York State Department of Health to institute a universal mask requirement in all schools, public and private, as determined necessary at the discretion of the Commissioner. The Department of Health will issue the requirement through regulatory action established by the Public Health and Health Planning Council.

Governor Hochul will also pursue options to mandate vaccines for school employees or require weekly testing in the absence of vaccines, and will continue to work with the Department of Health, education stakeholders and the Legislature on establishing the mandate.

"As Governor, my priorities are now the priorities of the people of New York - and right now that means fighting the Delta variant," Governor Kathy Hochul said. "My number one priority is getting children back to school and protecting the environment so they can learn safely. I am immediately directing the Department of Health to institute universal masking for anyone entering our schools, and we are launching a Back to School COVID-19 testing program to make testing for students and staff widely available and convenient. We are also working to require vaccinations for all school personnel with an option to test out weekly, and we are going to accomplish all of this by working in partnership with all levels of government."

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 5.26.47 PM.png

To help ensure testing is available to students as they return to school, Governor Hochul is using $335 million in federal funds to launch a new COVID-19 Testing in Schools Program in partnership with local health departments and BOCES in New York State outside of New York City. In addition, New York City has received $225 million directly to initiate a COVID-19 Testing in Schools Program there, for a total of $585 million in federal funding in New York State to support these programs.

Governor Hochul also launched an additional back-to-school COVID-19 testing program in partnership with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Rite Aid and BioReference to make testing more widely available for New York State public school students before the start of the 2021-2022 school year.

Testing appointments will be available to New York students in grades K-12 at the 115 Rite Aid drive-through locations. Students are required to pre-register online and schedule a time slot for testing. Students aged 17 and under must have parental or legal guardian consent and be accompanied by a guardian at time of testing in the drive- through. Digital results will be delivered to parents for students to bring to school. COVID-19 testing is voluntary and will be provided at no cost to the student's family nor to the school district.

In addition to these new testing programs, New York State has available more than 4.3 million child-sized clothed face masks, about 10 million adult-sized clothed face masks and almost 55 million non-surgical face masks to provide to students and teachers in schools across the state.

If you thought this was going to be any different, you've been in a coma the past few months. 

Meanwhile, social media appears surprised and as expected, going apeshit. 

Gonna be an interesting couple weeks. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TwinTiersLiving said:

Governor Hochul has directed the New York State Department of Health to institute a universal mask requirement in all schools, public and private, as determined necessary at the discretion of the Commissioner.

Mask Mandates?!

giphy.gif?cid=790b761142aaf62d4f3b0d6a35

On 8/24/2021 at 5:38 PM, Chris said:

If you thought this was going to be any different, you've been in a coma the past few months. 

Meanwhile, social media appears surprised and as expected, going apeshit. 

Gonna be an interesting couple weeks. 

No surprises here, I expected no major policy  changes with NYS’s first female Governor’s administration.

• Like 1

And this just came to my work email today:

“Effective immediately, in accordance with the Commissioner's Determination issued pursuant to 10 NYCRR 2.60, any person over the age of 2 (including all students, personnel, teachers, administrators, contractors, and visitors) must wear masks at all times indoors in P-12 school buildings, regardless of vaccination status...

This was announced by the Towanda Area School District on Sept. 20:

Dear Towanda Area School District Community,

This evening (Monday, September 20) the school board voted 5-3 to allow for a parent opt out form for the most recent school mask order. We ask for your patience as we develop this form for our district. Our goal is to have something created as soon as possible. We will make this a priority starting tomorrow morning. In the meantime, we ask that students continue to wear masks until this form can be created, distributed, signed, and returned.

Thank you.

According to the districts Facebook page there have been 11 students who tested positive and/or symptomatic in the last seven days. 

Evidence shows that, yes, masks prevent COVID-19 – and surgical masks are the way to go

file-20210921-13-1f55482.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.

What type of mask is best? Brais Seara/Moment via Getty Images

by Laura (Layla) H. Kwong, University of California, Berkeley

Do masks work? And if so, should you reach for an N95, a surgical mask, a cloth mask or a gaiter?

Over the past year and a half, researchers have produced a lot of laboratory, model-based and observational evidence on the effectiveness of masks. For many people it has understandably been hard to keep track of what works and what doesn’t.

I’m an assistant professor of environmental health sciences. I, too, have wondered about the answers to these questions, and earlier this year I led a study that examined the research about which materials are best.

Recently, I was part of the largest randomized controlled trial to date testing the effectiveness of mask-wearing. The study has yet to be peer reviewed but has been well received by the medical community. What we found provides gold-standard evidence that confirms previous research: Wearing masks, particularly surgical masks, prevents COVID-19.

Laboratory studies help scientists understand the physics of masks and spread.

Lab and observational studies

People have been using masks to protect themselves from contracting diseases since the Manchurian outbreak of plague in 1910.

During the coronavirus pandemic, the focus has been on masks as a way of preventing infected persons from contaminating the air around them – called source control. Recent laboratory evidence supports this idea. In April 2020, researchers showed that people infected with a coronavirus – but not SARS-CoV-2 – exhaled less coronavirus RNA into the air around them if they wore a mask. A number of additional laboratory studies have also supported the efficacy of masks.

Out in the real world, many epidemiologists have examined the impact of masking and mask policies to see if masks help slow the spread of COVID-19. One observational study – meaning it was not a controlled study with people wearing or not wearing masks – published in late 2020 looked at demographics, testing, lockdowns and mask-wearing in 196 countries. The researchers found that after controlling for other factors, countries with cultural norms or policies that supported mask-wearing saw weekly per capita coronavirus mortality increase 16% during outbreaks, compared with a 62% weekly increase in countries without mask-wearing norms.

A man wearing a surgical mask handing a mask to a woman working at a vegetable stand.

Researchers gave surgical masks to adults in 200 villages in Bangladesh to test whether they reduce COVID-19. Innovations for Poverty Action, CC BY-ND

Large-scale randomized mask-wearing

Laboratory, observational and modeling studies, have consistently supported the value of many types of masks. But these approaches are not as strong as large-scale randomized controlled trials among the general public, which compare groups after the intervention has been implemented in some randomly selected groups and not implemented in comparison groups. One such study done in Denmark in early 2020 was inconclusive, but it was relatively small and relied on participants to self-report mask-wearing.

From November 2020 to April 2021, my colleagues Jason Abaluck, Ahmed Mushfiq Mobarak, Stephen P. Luby, Ashley Styczynski and I – in close collaboration with partners in the Bangladeshi government and the research nonprofit Innovations for Poverty Action – conducted a large-scale randomized controlled trial on masking in Bangladesh. Our goals were to learn the best ways to increase mask-wearing without a mandate, understand the effect of mask-wearing on COVID-19, and compare cloth masks and surgical masks.

The study involved 341,126 adults in 600 villages in rural Bangladesh. In 300 villages we did not promote masks, and people continued wearing masks, or not, as they had before. In 200 villages we promoted the use of surgical masks, and in 100 villages we promoted cloth masks, testing a number of different outreach strategies in each group.

Over the course of eight weeks, our team distributed free masks to each adult in the mask groups at their homes, provided information about the risks of COVID-19 and the value of mask-wearing. We also worked with community and religious leaders to model and promote mask-wearing and hired staff to walk around the village and politely ask people who were not wearing a mask to put one on. Plainclothes staff recorded whether people wore masks properly over their mouth and nose, improperly or not at all.

Both five weeks and nine weeks after starting the study, we collected data from all adults on symptoms of COVID-19 during the study period. If a person reported any symptoms of COVID-19, we took and tested a blood sample for evidence of infection.

A woman exiting a store with signs showing mask requirements on the door.

Based on current evidence, many places across the U.S. have some form of mask requirements. AP Photo/LM Otero

Mask-wearing reduced COVID-19

The first question my colleagues and I needed to answer was whether our efforts led to increased mask-wearing. Mask usage more than tripled, from 13% in the group that wasn’t given masks to 42% in the group that was. Interestingly, physical distancing also increased by 5% in the villages where we promoted masks.

In the 300 villages where we distributed any type of mask, we saw a 9% reduction in COVID-19 compared with villages where we did not promote masks. Because of the small number of villages where we promoted cloth masks, we were not able to tell whether cloth or surgical masks were better at reducing COVID-19.

We did have a large enough sample size to determine that in villages where we distributed surgical masks, COVID-19 fell by 12%. In those villages COVID-19 fell by 35% for people 60 years and older and 23% for people 50-60 years old. When looking at COVID-19-like symptoms we found that both surgical and cloth masks resulted in a 12% reduction.

The body of evidence supports masks

Before this study there was a lack of gold-standard evidence on the effectiveness of masks to reduce COVID-19 in daily life. Our study provides strong real-world evidence that surgical masks reduce COVID-19, particularly for older adults who face higher rates of death and disability if they get infected.

Policymakers and public health officials now have evidence from laboratories, models, observations and real-world trials that support mask-wearing to reduce respiratory diseases, including COVID-19. Given that COVID-19 can so easily spread from person to person, if more people wear masks the benefits increase.

So next time you are wondering if you should wear a mask, the answer is yes. Cloth masks are likely better than nothing, but high-quality surgical masks or masks with even higher filtration efficiency and better fit – such as KF94s, KN95s and N95s – are the most effective at preventing COVID-19.The Conversation

Laura (Layla) H. Kwong, Assistant Professor of Environmental Health Sciences, University of California, Berkeley

This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the original article.

it causes bacterial pneumonia which was the leading cause of death in in 1918 spanish flu epidemic!   

1 hour ago, Mahatma said:

it causes bacterial pneumonia which was the leading cause of death in in 1918 spanish flu epidemic!   

What does?

4 hours ago, Mahatma said:

Masks? Use reusable masks meant for few uses before disposal, and wash your reusable ones to prevent bacterial buildup 

• Like 1

Governor Kathy Hochul today announced masks will be required to be worn in all indoor public places unless businesses or venues implement a vaccine requirement. This a major action to address the winter surge comes as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations rise statewide to be in alignment with the CDC's recommendations for communities with substantial and high transmission. The State Health Commissioner issued a determination solidifying the requirement.       

This determination is based on the State's weekly seven-day case rate as well as increasing hospitalizations. The new business and venue requirements extend to both patrons and staff. This measure is effective Dec. 13, 2021 until Jan. 15, 2022, after which the State will re-evaluate based on current conditions. The new measure brings added layers of mitigation during the holidays when more time is spent indoors shopping, gathering, and visiting holiday-themed destinations.     

"As Governor, my two top priorities are to protect the health of New Yorkers and to protect the health of our economy. The temporary measures I am taking today will help accomplish this through the holiday season. We shouldn't have reached the point where we are confronted with a winter surge, especially with the vaccine at our disposal, and I share many New Yorkers' frustration that we are not past this pandemic yet," Governor Hochul said. "I want to thank the more than 80 percent of New Yorkers who have done the right thing to get fully vaccinated. If others will follow suit, these measures will no longer be necessary."   

"I have warned for weeks that additional steps could be necessary, and now we are at that point based upon three metrics: Increasing cases, reduced hospital capacity, and insufficient vaccination rates in certain areas," Governor Hochul added. 

Since Thanksgiving, the statewide seven-day average case rate has increased by 43% and hospitalizations have increased by 29%. While the percentage of New Yorkers fully vaccinated continues to increase—gaining 2% from Thanksgiving weekend to now—the uptick is not fast enough to completely curb the spread of the virus, particularly among communities with low vaccination coverage. 

Business/Venue Proof of Full-Course Vaccination Requirement    

Businesses and venues who implement a proof of vaccination requirement can accept Excelsior Pass, Excelsior Pass Plus, SMART Health Cards issued outside of New York State, or a CDC Vaccination Card. In accordance with CDC's definition of fully vaccinated, full-course vaccination is defined as 14 days past an individual's last vaccination dose in their initial vaccine series (14 days past the second shot of a two-dose Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine; 14 days past the one-shot Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine). The State also accepts WHO-approved vaccines for these purposes. Parents and guardians can retrieve and store an Excelsior Pass and/or Excelsior Pass Plus for children or minors under legal guardianship.    

Business/Venue Mask-Wearing Requirement    

Businesses and venues that implement a mask requirement must ensure all patrons two years and older wear a mask at all times while indoors.    

Continued Masking Requirements    

Unvaccinated individuals continue to be responsible for wearing masks, in accordance with federal CDC guidance. Further, the State's masking requirements continue to be in effect for pre-K to grade 12 schools, public transit, homeless shelters, correctional facilities, nursing homes, and health care settings per CDC guidelines.    

New York State and the State's Department of Health continue to strongly recommend mask-wearing in all public indoor settings as an added layer of protection, even when not required. Children 2 - 5 who remain ineligible for vaccination must wear a proper-fitting mask. 

I can't really see businesses asking for proof of vaccination upon entry. My guess is they'll just assume lack of mask is proof of vax status or require them for all. 

I get a kick out of the people calling for boycotts of local businesses that comply. You DO understand they don't have a choice if they want to keep their doors open, right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I can't really see businesses asking for proof of vaccination upon entry. My guess is they'll just assume lack of mask is proof of vax status or require them for all. 

I get a kick out of the people calling for boycotts of local businesses that comply. You DO understand they don't have a choice if they want to keep their doors open, right?

Actually the way I read that they have 2 choices. Implement a vax policy so that in order to enter you must show proof of vax.  Mask is not an option (kind of how NYC is now for restaurants) for this, or implement a mask policy where you must have a mask on inside at all times. Vax status not relevant.

Right. What I mean is some business owners will take lack of a mask as “proof” of vaccination. Im sure there’s many who won’t ask for cards or mask wearing.

As usual, social media comments are comedy gold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

As usual, social media comments are comedy gold.

My favorite is (paraphrase) “I will not shop at stores that require masks and judging by the likes on my comment I’m part of the majority”

11 likes 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Andy said:

My favorite is (paraphrase) “I will not shop at stores that require masks and judging by the likes on my comment I’m part of the majority”

11 likes 

Hahahh!  Apparently he was also posted on the WENY page and had about 80 likes.  He doesn't appear to realize they are two different news sites.

16 hours ago, Chris said:

Right. What I mean is some business owners will take lack of a mask as “proof” of vaccination. Im sure there’s many who won’t ask for cards or mask wearing.

Considering the NYS Covid complaint hotline was off the hook with people eager to tattle on businesses allowed anyone to be unmasked (even if they were 20 feet apart), it seems like they'll be just as eager to send the cops to investigate stores claiming as vaxx requirement but not checking for a card or Pass.

27 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

Considering the NYS Covid complaint hotline was off the hook with people eager to tattle on businesses allowed anyone to be unmasked (even if they were 20 feet apart), it seems like they'll be just as eager to send the cops to investigate stores claiming as vaxx requirement but not checking for a card or Pass.

I don't think they will to be honest.  This was political.  Just a few days ago she indicated it should be up to the counties and commended the few who had them however she was called out by several political rivals, notably Leticia James (who for some reason has suddenly withdrawn from the race) and a great many of her voting public. She saw her numbers going down and just like that a mask mandate was in place.  Of course, it is up to the local authorities to enforce it.