Sign in to follow this  
TTL News

NY Covid News Superthread

Gov. Andrew Cuomo is dialing back on statements that New York State could be headed for a second pandemic shut down, saying if people control their behavior, it could be avoided. Meanwhile, the governor says he’s advancing funds to cash strapped state contractors that are providing essential services.

Cuomo said Monday that if the trajectory of the rising infection rate does not change, the state is headed for a lock down similar to one last spring, when the virus also spiked.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio also urged city residents to prepare for a shutdown in the coming weeks.

By Wednesday, though, the governor, citing negative news headlines, emphasized that a closure of all but essential services can be avoided- if New Yorkers follow all of the safety recommendations from state and federal health officials.

“There’s a big B-U-T ,” Cuomo said. “No one knows, because it is up to us.”

Cuomo says he hopes that people learned that some Thanksgiving gatherings led to the current surge, where the positivity rate has been above 5% statewide for several days, and that they will limit social gatherings over the upcoming holidays.

Hospitalization rates are also steadily rising. More than 6000 New Yorkers are in the hospital with COVID-19, and more than 1000 are in intensive care.

See the rest of the article here.

I don't see a whole lot of people changing their behavior if they haven't by now. On the flip side, I don't see what good another shutdown is going to do unless it is a COMPLETE shutdown including all industries and stores. And we know that aint happening. 

I agree 100%. If they are doing a shutdown only grocery stores and Dr. office should be open. No reason for hardware stores and dept. stores to be open.

Newzealand had it right, that's why they have no cases and are open again. 

I see a shutdown happening because no way Cuomo will allow people to gather for New Years, especially NYC. 

• Like 1

I can't help but think one is coming, partly because of the way he is belaboring the point with emphasis on, "If it happens, it's because of the actions of the people."

On 12/17/2020 at 5:24 PM, Kevin said:

No reason for hardware stores and dept. stores to be open.

Gotta agree to disagree with that.

The mount for our snowplow blade fell apart after last week's storm.  The bolts and nuts needed to put that back together were essential.

And unlike toilet paper that could be bought online...I needed a guy at the Fastenal store to compare and match the right sizes/parts. Playing guess and return then guess again with an online vendor would have a real hardship when we have vital medical appointment we need to get to. 

I see your point, but having Walmart, Target, lowes and such crowded does not help. We have to find a happy medium. 

Yeah I think there’s a way to temper this so people aren’t using stores as an excuse to get out and congregate while still keeping essential services open. I just don’t know how.

Just make damn sure there’s plenty of notice before shutting down the liquor stores, mmkay?

I don't know how to get people to isolate any more than they have over the last nine months. And quite honestly, I doubt that expecting complete withdrawal from all "social interaction" is healthy or even possible.

Since we are, for the most part, social creatures…it sort of goes against human nature.

I think we may have reached (several months ago) the point where the critical mass/bulk of the population found their maximum tolerable “isolation” level. Aside form the outliers who are drawn to a hermit life anyway.

At this point, it seems like more closures are only preventing the “dispersal” of those who are insistent on shopping, dining or socializing. People with that compulsion are just piling up at the doors of chain restaurants and big boxes, or inviting friends into their homes.

If you want to see fewer people at Applebee's and Chili’s or hosting little gatherings in close quartered homes? Then open up Nick’s and the Moose and every restaurant in the state so they can spread out.  

• Like 1

ERIE COUNTY, N.Y. (WKBW) — The owners of The Quarter in Buffalo and Pharaoh's Gentlemen's Club in Cheektowaga, both involved in a lawsuit against Governor Andrew Cuomo, say a judge is telling the state to reach a compromise on bars and restaurants or provide scientific evidence to support the COVID-19 restrictions on the businesses. 

The owners are two of 40 bar and restaurant owners involved in a lawsuit against the state to reopen indoor dining.

In Erie County's orange zone, as with orange zones across the state, indoor dining is not allowed. In State Supreme Court on Monday, the owners say Judge Nowak stated if there is no compromise by next Monday, the state must provide scientific evidence by Tuesday as to why restaurants and bars must remain closed to indoor diners.

Read the rest here.

I won't be surprised if he unveils some compromise (opening indoor dining with some new guideline attached like 25% capacity, max 1 per table, logbook with required ID etc) during one of his Emmy performances. 

And that he revises history by pretending the new revelations were entirely voluntary and based on "his" esteemed research and dedication to New Yorkers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MsKreed said:

And that he revises history by pretending the new revelations were entirely voluntary and based on "his" esteemed research and dedication to New Yorkers.

Seem everyone is suing now.  Apparently that's what it takes.  I agree he is going to make it all his idea, just like with the gyms and salons. That was also due to a lawsuit in another county.

Although 12.4 million doses of Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been distributed nationwide, only 3.1 million have been given. 

But that doesn’t absolve New York officials, particularly when Cuomo has held himself up as the coronavirus king par excellence, even writing a book praising his own leadership. 

Why aren’t there mass vaccination events? Where’s the urgency? 

See the rest here.

Cuomo and de Blasio blather on about equality, and now New Yorkers are learning what that means: In order to ensure the vaccine is distributed in a fair and equitable manner, no one should get it.

Sounds like the Marxist Sandinistas that Mayor deBlasio (born Warren Wilhelm Jr) spent time in Nicaragua following back in the 1980s.

I guess he still doesn't see a problem with that concept.

Yeah...

Cuomo was on Twitter today:

BBA3CF64-8DC8-471D-B559-F177C4200A64.jpeg

Dude... then f—king distribute it!

You're in charge, make it happen. Who is stopping you?

He will distribute the vaccine... eventually, in his own time , at his pleasure ! After he has heard his own voice enough .  Logical thinking begs me to ask , how is a virus racist , does it say to itself , “ oooh ooh theres a person of color lets get him first “ , or how does that work ? Caution , rhetorical question . 

Edited by Hal

I came in to today's briefing late, but I didn't hear anything that indicates to me that the state is even considering another look at the restrictions and zone designations. 

ALBANY, N.Y. (WROC) — Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the first confirmed case of COVID-19 variant strain first discovered in the United Kingdom, believed to be 70% more contagious than the original strain.

The governor made the announcement on a Monday afternoon conference call with media.

“Wadsworth lab confirmed a case of the U.K. strain in Saratoga County, New York,” Gov. Cuomo said.. “He’s a man in his 60s who had some symptoms. He did not travel recently so evidence suggests it’s in the community.”

According to the governor, the infected individual was a man in his 60’s who owns a jewelry store in Saratoga County of the Capital Region. The governor said the store has been closed since December 21, 2020, but the state is asking all customers who visited the store from December 18 through December 21 to be tested for COVID-19.

The governor said this strain, known formally as the UK B117 COVID-19 strain, is 70% more contagious than the original COVID-19 strain and he said contact tracing is paramount to keep the spread of the strain under control.

“It’s about contact tracing,” Gov. Cuomo said. “We want to make sure we’re doing everything we can. We need the community’s help.”

See the rest of the article here.

Okay so , me not being the sharpest knife in the drawer ... 

Please correct me here if I am on the wrong track . A virus ( pick one ) needs a vector I get that duh , but in this case it seems to have gotten on a plane from the UK and taken a joy ride to the U.S , or so it seems from media reports . Am I wrong to think that a virus can mutate at any time or anywhere and unlike the original  covid virus does not need to originate from one specific place . Like I said the media makes it seem to board a plane and joy ride , but I see it as here already mutating away unbeknownst to our scientific types . 

43 minutes ago, Hal said:

Am I wrong to think that a virus can mutate at any time or anywhere and unlike the original covid virus does not need to originate from one specific place. 

The mutation can happen anywhere. I think using terms such as "UK Variant" is more a way to distinguish the mutation from the original more than anything. For all we know the mutation could have happened here, and it got to the UK somehow, where it was noticed and identified. 

The higher rate of contagiousness is concerning, especially when you look at what's happening in CA. 

In New York state, they are performing over 100, 000 tests every day. As far as I've seen.....their results say that "SARS-CoV-2 RNA" was either present in the specimen or not detected in the specimen.  

I'm curious why and how this guy's sample was tested for specific strain. 

Maybe they recently started testing for it now that it's identified?

We got 100 of the 200 total doses delivered to steuben county. We administered 20-40 shots per day in order to meet the time crunch. Our team had only a few hours to prepare for an absolute onslaught of calls and people.  The Elmira stores should have more this week once the CDC signs off of NYS next allotment. 

During his briefing this morning, NY Governor Andrew Cuomo went over positivity rates, saying that the expected "holiday surge" seems to be over. In light of that, orange and yellow zone designations have been re-examined across the state. 

Cuomo said that Chemung County, which has been designated an Orange Zone since mid-October, has seen a positivity rate decrease from 7.90% to 4.30%

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 11.56.30 AM.png

Cuomo continued, announcing both Orange and Yellow zone designation across the state has been lifted. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 11.57.15 AM.png

The only designated zones left in New York are downstate, including Newburgh, the Bronx, and Queens. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 11.57.39 AM.png

Yay!  Back to the original restrictions but they were not as restrictive as Orange and Yellow.