TTL News Bot

$16 Million In ARP Funds - How Should Chemung County Spend It?

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

Well, never fear. Because in addition to those 50 new surveillance cameras the city is looking to use part of their ARP funds to replace the "Welcome To Elmira" sign on Church St.

I had missed the reports of when Williams was covered over by Pirro.  

I agree it's old and needed to be updated or replaced. I don't see a price, but I'd imagine it's minimal compared to some of the high dollar wastes that ARP funds are being spent on. 

10 hours ago, MsKreed said:

I don't see a price, but I'd imagine it's minimal compared to some of the high dollar wastes that ARP funds are being spent on. 

they are working with "someone local" to come up wit new idea for sign so im sure its going to be more than the end product is worth, more likely just greasing another good ol boy's hand

For reference here is the link to the Resolution approving the Plan: Resolution #23-145

Under the text are two links that are very informative.

Top link is the Plan with all the Projects (except the Orange Zone and Ag Subsidy that Legislator Strange notes were added by Amendment). The second link is the original Proposed Plan from 2021....including the informal online Survey results of what the Public recommended spending ARP funds for at that time. 

So it looks like after nearly 10 years the indoor farmers market building is happening. I wonder if it’s as originally conceived or a downscaled version?

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

So it looks like after nearly 10 years the indoor farmers market building is happening. I wonder if it’s as originally conceived or a downscaled version?

Here is some of what Legislator Morse has said about it:

image.png.9d85798669af895297f919a72302533d.png

image.png.4910e8631af3cce91fd7a401139da348.png

After listening to the public comments, I have to say I’m not understanding what all the vocal opposition to the Fairgrounds Building is about....when no one made a peep about the $875,000 going to the Arena.

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MsKreed said:

After listening to the public comments,

Yeah I skipped over that. 

Let's put some more lipstick on the pig no one wants to kiss already, and argue against something that could bring hundreds, if not more, people to the area on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. Even more than that if they follow the original plan to make it a conference center. You know, in an area known for such things like beer, wine, and all the stuff that goes into making them.

I am strongly in favor of this. I was just saying to @Hal a few days ago, how awesome it would be to be able to go to ONE place, and do all my produce shopping for a week like I saw down in Lewisburg. ( Which, if it was any closer, I would travel a solid hour to get to that weekly produce market alone. )

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yeah I skipped over that. 

You're missing out on what I often find is the most interesting part of Legislative Meetings!

Some very good discussion. Like Strange and Sonsire,  I think County Residents in all districts should be encouraged by the willingness to open up frank and thorough dialogue with the community:

image.png.329eb0f3cb4298303334ed17fd561460.png

image.png.437352aed8b67fdf7710e4a5b15329e5.png

• Like 1

This is what representation in the 21st century should look like.

Do I think the county should be cutting $5000 checks to anyone? No. We know what happens when everyone has a hand out for that “free money”. Find projects that will benefit everyone.

As for the year round farmers market building, I’d built to its original design and purpose, it’ll be so much more than a farmers market. It could also be a great benefit to local farmers, who’d have a place they can count on to sell their products for a year round revenue stream.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris said:

This is what representation in the 21st century should look like.

Do I think the county should be cutting $5000 checks to anyone? No. We know what happens when everyone has a hand out for that “free money”. Find projects that will benefit everyone.

As for the year round farmers market building, I’d built to its original design and purpose, it’ll be so much more than a farmers market. It could also be a great benefit to local farmers, who’d have a place they can count on to sell their products for a year round revenue stream.

I agree 100% with Chris on all the above ! Lets try moving away from the giveaways that are sure to be used for purposes other than intended and then Poof … all gone with nothing to show for it ! All in for the year round Farmers Mkt / whatever use building ! 
But with the caveat that there be at least a 50% representation of the public at large on any Board that will surely be formed to oversee its construction and use going forward ! 

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Do I think the county should be cutting $5000 checks to anyone? No. We know what happens when everyone has a hand out for that “free money”. 

Sort of like deciding how to allocate "reparations"?  LOL

But the things is.....very few (if any) will receive a check for $5,000. All of the checks will likely be for a lot less.....or only a lucky handful will get a $5,000 check.

Neither the Orange Zone Stimulus Grant Fund or Agricultural Subsidy Programs (Resolutions #  22-211 and 22-212 enacted HERE in the April 11, 2022 Legislative Meeting) nor any of the other "ideas" that have been suggested (essential public employees or displaced healthcare workers, etc) seem to register with the Public (or many Legislators) mathematically. 

Perhaps Mrs. Morse's financial background is a curse of sorts, that makes her aware of the impossible expectations these plans create.

For example, the Agricultural Subsidy Program:

$250,000 to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and its economic impacts by assisting farms, as defined by the NYS Farm Bureau, located within Chemung County with one time grants of up to $5,000

This would allow (up to) 50 local farmers to receive the maximum $5,000 grant. The 2017 (most recent) USDA Census of Agriculture shows 398 "farms" in Chemung County. Any disbursement plan is going to leave the majority of farms feeling shorted on "their fair share".

Grade School math: 250,000 = 50x5000 = 100x2500 = 500x500

Will it be first come, first served basis, where the first 50 eligible applicants get $5,000 and the rest are SOL?  

Will there be an application window after which all eligible applicants will divide the "pie" and get about $625 each?

Will there be some convoluted "weighting" system that determines grant amount by need/impact where a select few get a larger check and other a nominal amount? 

10 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

This would allow (up to) 50 local farmers to receive the maximum $5,000 grant.

And you'd have to figure out exactly what comprises a "farm" and how did the pandemic affect them directly? For example, we're like amongst those 398 farms, at least on paper. So would I be able to apply for this money? Not that I would.

If we've learned anything from the federal giveaway bonanza, there's little to no oversight when you allow people to ask for a hand out. This money would serve the community better if it were invested wisely. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 2:20 PM, Chris said:

Has there been any more discussion about this and I've missed it? I would LOVE to see this happen, and include an indoor produce market. I can't think of anything better than a one stop shop for fresh produce ( better than what's in the stores ) on a weekly basis:

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.55.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.56.16 AM.png

42 minutes ago, Chris said:

Has there been any more discussion about this and I've missed it? I would LOVE to see this happen, and include an indoor produce market. I can't think of anything better than a one stop shop for fresh produce ( better than what's in the stores ) on a weekly basis:

Last month, Legislator Morse indicated that at some later date there would be a full presentation of the "vision" and business plan for the proposed Fairgrounds Building project. Not sure if that will be from the Farm Bureau or Fairgrounds Committee. 

I follow her FB page and haven't seen a timeline yet for that. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

If the Ag board is going to be involved, I can tell you that they are meeting next week I believe.  I have a good friend on that board and can ask if she has heard anything about it.

It’s been a good ten years in the making (it was actually one of the first things we covered in the old NewsFromTown site) and it’d be nice to see it finally come to fruition.

It might spur some growth in the old Hills plaza and down Lake St., ya never know.