TTL News Bot

$16 Million In ARP Funds - How Should Chemung County Spend It?

On his new podcast, Chemung County Executive Christopher Moss discusses the sixteen million dollars the county will be receiving from the American Rescue Plan fund. You can hear the podcast here.

The county executive and the legislature have disagreed over how the funding should be used, each with their own ideas. Some of the ideas that the legislature came up with can be found here and a resolution passed here for how the legislature wants to spend it. Youc an compare this to the county executive's plan here. 

While the two branches of government squabble over how the money is used, how do YOU think the county should be using this funding for the county's best interest. 

Not sure why the First Arena needs 100k if it being privately ran now. Then again that has been really quiet. 

Seems like the guidance from the state on how that money should be distributed is pretty specific.  I know one proposal I heard about was specific to giving an amount of money to every healthcare worker let go because of vaccine status.  Pretty sure that is probably not on the state's approved list

• Like 1

as far as Exec's list: what organizations receive funding and do all 10 really need money? room tax issue; 103k to arena?(crossover "NO" to Leg plan as well), two new admin positions that are funded with these funds till funds are gone....then what? City of Elmira can pound salt, they got more funds than the County, WIfI at park station? sorry its camping no need, and i think, as much as i hate to, CCNF is a millstone around taxpayers necks, there HAS to be some sort of public/private deal that can be arranged

Legislative side: no funding of moronic studies, oarticularly for salaries which we know will find someone needing increase, the FQHC can FAQ-OFF there three hospitals in a 20 mile radius of the City, this just reeks of palms getting greased, seed monies to IDA/non-profits/ Arena...might just as well literally plant that money in the ground and get the same results, support WHAT Ag businesses? let town of elmira pick up the surplus cruisers from the City, dirt road? i guess where are these located and really if they are rural, thats part of country living, sales tax return to towns; right, we know who will get lions share of that pie,

beyond that, the lists seem fairly similar; the perceived distance between is created by the egos/attitudes of Exec and some Legislators

• Like 2

I think using funds for upgrades at the fairgrounds, particularly that year round indoor farmers market building that’s been talked about, would be very beneficial. Look at the draw the Ithaca Farmers market has, and our location would be WAY more accessible. And, it could spur business growth in underused areas along Lake St as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KarenK said:

I know one proposal I heard about was specific to giving an amount of money to every healthcare worker let go because of vaccine status.

Yeah that’s a big time “no” from me.

I sort of assume a lot of the  list of ideas from the Legislature was compiled by asking constituents what projects they'd like funded.  Many look like local stuff that have nothing to do with ARP or issues due to the pandemic.

I know the Sewer districts are an important/expensive issue.....but have always been and should remain fully funded by the populations they serve.....not the rest of the county who are excluded from sewer service and responsible for our own septics. 

Likewise, things like stormwater management should be the responsibility of the businesses and developments that are creating said needs. Car dealers, retail and housing projects should be obligated to cover that issue when they are granted permission to build the structures and lay the parking lots that create the runoff. 

In general, I have a huge problem with the taxpayer support of any entity that draws profits/revenue from consumers who use its goods and services (especially those that might already be exempt from property taxes).....First Arena, medical facilities, private nursing homes. 

Edited by MsKreed
  • Like 2

I'd like to see a dedicated page on the county website that clearly shows an up-to-date accounting of balance and expenditures for our ARPA funds.

Let's talk about this again....

On 4/25/2022 at 7:11 PM, Kevin said:

Not sure why the First Arena needs 100k if it being privately ran now. Then again that has been really quiet. 

In August 2021, it was reported that most people agreed that First Arena wasn't where the ARP funds should go.

As WENY News reported last week, the first arena needs upwards of $8 million of repairs, according to the I.D.A., but that funding won't come from this spending package.

"With that being said, does anyone want to see the arena demolished? Of course not, but we're not going to spend any more county taxpayer money on the arena. We have to find a different route," Moss said.

According to a poll from Chemung County, 80% of participants said they didn't want American Rescue Plan funding to go towards improvements for First Arena.

Fast forward to THIS week and the Legislature (quietly and without any public debate) approved, not $100k, but $375,908.25 

image.png.3f521d539bf6eebefa97d4059ae4f570.png

Edited by MsKreed

these items being purchased are (or were) items supposedly in place previously but went missing over last few years ending with Mr. Nichols" departure. of course there was no inventory taken over those years so there was no proof they existed nor accountability for their disappearance

i find it interesting the above quotes from the Exec about no more tax monies, yet this latest expenditure is approved on his behalf?

8 minutes ago, MsKreed said:

In August 2021, it was reported that most people agreed that First Arena wasn't where the ARP funds should go.

As if we really had any say in the matter, at least in their eyes. 

19 minutes ago, C16 said:

As if we really had any say in the matter, at least in their eyes. 

For this very reason, I feel like a full and publicly accessible accounting of the whole APR spending is in order...

From the grumbling I’ve seen during various full legislature and committee meetings, it sounds like very little of the ARP money has been disbursed (particularly to local businesses and farms that suffered greatly from shut-down). Then we see sizable chunks of that money being distributed to public/bureaucratic agencies (instead of struggling taxpayers) without the public’s knowledge.

Come November, voters deserve to know how their Rescue Funds are being spent and by whom.

24 minutes ago, Adam said:

these items being purchased are (or were) items supposedly in place previously but went missing over last few years ending with Mr. Nichols" departure. of course there was no inventory taken over those years so there was no proof they existed nor accountability for their disappearance

I do remember the discussions in a few meetings about equipment that went missing under Nichols’ watch. I understand if he can’t legally be held accountable due to lack of receipts on IDA’s part, then IDA and/or the new lessee are stuck replacing it.

But I feel it's pretty shady for the exec/legislature to (almost secretly) use ARP funds to recoup those losses. And wonder what portion of ARP expenditures, so far, this $376k comprises.

Personally, I feel like some official should have called out the missing assets in public....so the press could get a sound-byte of denials and justifications from “Poor Robby”. 

2 hours ago, MsKreed said:

so the press could get a sound-byte of denials and justifications from “Poor Robby”. 

from what i understand, the biggest issue was lack of receipts/proof showing those items were there when he took over, unfortunately it was one of those things where what one knows and what can prove make the difference. had they made more public issue of the matter; a potential slander/libel case could have been in the near future.

i made it clear to a few Legislators in recent past(for what its worth) that there really does not seem to be ANY accountability on part of STEG/IDA to the Legislature; and they being the Law making and appropriating body, needed to correct that oversight PDQ

1 hour ago, Adam said:

from what i understand, the biggest issue was lack of receipts/proof showing those items were there when he took over, unfortunately it was one of those things where what one knows and what can prove make the difference. had they made more public issue of the matter; a potential slander/libel case could have been in the near future.

The libel/slander potential hadn't occurred to me. It's a fair point for consideration.

However, I'd think that some of the Legislators (including those on the CCIDA board) are articulate and savvy enough that the question of assets being unaccounted for could be presented and publicized without making any explicit or implied "allegations" of theft. 

They could bring it to public attention by just making public statements to the effect that past CCIDA transactions had been lacking complete inventories/receipts (with examples) that resulted in loss of assets (to the tune of possibly half a million IIRC) and announcing measures they are taking to prevent such a recurrence going forward.

As far as the 30 minute+ gushing "lovefest" (🤮over what they feel are the immeasurable value that First Arena (discussed in THIS latest Budget Committee meeting).....I don't think most residents believe it.

While I don't discount Strange or Margeson's perceptions that Arena events have the potential to bring traffic to other local businesses, I'm a bit skeptical about exactly how many “area restaurants and hotels have contacted the Arena and thanked them for the amount of business that is being brought to the community”. 

And honestly, I don't think a lack of events at the Arena is the primary reason that residents from outside the city stay away. I don't think I'm alone in saying that there are a number of other obstacles that keep people from "flocking" to downtown Elmira....litter, vagrants, dilapidated structures, crime, etc all lead to a generally "unsafe" vibe that many aren't comfortable venturing into after dark.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MsKreed said:

I don't think I'm alone in saying that there are a number of other obstacles that keep people from "flocking" to downtown Elmira....litter, vagrants, dilapidated structures, crime, etc all lead to a generally "unsafe" vibe that many aren't comfortable venturing into after dark.

Quoted for truth.

8 hours ago, MsKreed said:

And honestly, I don't think a lack of events at the Arena is the primary reason that residents from outside the city stay away. I don't think I'm alone in saying that there are a number of other obstacles that keep people from "flocking" to downtown Elmira....litter, vagrants, dilapidated structures, crime, etc all lead to a generally "unsafe" vibe that many aren't comfortable venturing into after dark.

And I disagree with this. The downtown area has been coming back for a few years.  There are restaurants and places to go if you are heading to an arena event and there are no vagrants, falling down structures  or an unsafe vibe right in the center of downtown at all.

I can’t argue that there’s been marked improvement over the last few years, with new renovation, businesses, facades and awnings directly adjacent to the Arena...right in the center of downtown.

I just don’t feel that a clean, bright safe block or two in each direction is enough for a lot of people.

In the past year, I’ve been to the city four times after 5-6pm....once to the Hazlitt Building and three times to the Ill Eagle (which is a block west of Hazlitt and three blocks from the Arena).  Three blocks should be an easy, convenient walking distance.

Like the Green Derby, Ill Eagle is a fantastic place!! They're awesome local businesses with great atmosphere, staff and service! But walking to/from the Arena wouldn’t necessarily be comfortable for everyone. 

No buildings actually falling down (as we know there had been in the past). However, parking out back is enclosed with a short concrete wall that’s crumbling in spots. The back lot is dim and faces empty spaces like the old Personius Warne building with overgrown brush and bricks falling off; there was litter. Not condemned, but dilapidated.

Each trip I’ve seen either someone pushing a shopping cart – or an abandoned cart. Once I saw someone hanging behind a parked car. Maybe not vandalizing it, but even if he was taking a whiz, it's a path one would want to avoid. While I didn’t witness any panhandling or harassment, I don’t think vagrants is an inaccurate characterization.

And, while I imagine it gets cleaned regularly, the railroad underpass is frequently decorated with tags/graffiti. To a lot of people, gang tagging does instill an unsafe vibe. Granted, my impressions are specific to "me" being downtown "alone" – probably less unsettling with a group, couples, etc walking a few blocks to their car from an event or between businesses.....but not everyone finds that environment inviting.

Edited by MsKreed

And the recommendation for the 2023 Budget Committee is to give another $500k in ARP funds to the Arena.

Some of the list of damages and repairs (basketball floor, scoreboard, et al) seems to be what they already authorized $375k for. 

Edited by MsKreed

They are going to keep dumping money into that place because that's how things are down around here. Throw good money after bad and hope for different results. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Throw good money after bad and hope for different results. 

The repeated refrain seems to be that doing the same thing is somehow different each time because there are “new” players in the game.

The deal with Nichols was going to be better than Afr because CAN-USA was superior and the agreement was going to address the problems we had with Afr.

The deal with Donner was going to be better than Nichols because he is superior and the agreement was going to address all the problems we had with CAN-USA.

The lost assets under Nichols won’t happen again, because there’s a new IDA board that will prevent that.

Nichols left 16 months ago. Hunt did their assessment of condition and repairs.....and one would assume the IDA and prospective tenants would have toured and inspected the place.

So when Donner’s agreement was signed last November, one would expect that the extra most-bestest  “new” tenant and “new” IDA Board should have been fully aware of any and all damages, repairs and equipment replacement that were needed to operate and reached an agreement that factored those things in......a year ago.  

If neither party made a sufficient effort to apprise themselves of what they had and what was required before reaching , then I think it’s fair to question whether they are any more prepared or capable than previous IDA and tenants.

• Like 4

im curious, and aske Mr. Strange, why money reserved for covid related/affected issues is being used due to piss poor management  or sabotage as claimed by mr margeson.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adam said:

im curious, and aske Mr. Strange, why money reserved for covid related/affected issues is being used due to piss poor management  or sabotage as claimed by mr margeson.

I'm curious about a lot of things. 

1) How can anyone justify asking for ARP money to duplicate the expenses that they already authorized ARP money for? It's not as if someone misspoke and it was for some other expense. It was asked directly and confirmed that this would be in addition to the $375k previously authorized ARP funds for the Arena.  The previously funding included invoicing for the shock clock, wifi and floor. The two IDA members on the Legislature were very clear and there was great detail about the snipped wifi cables and missing floor that another $500k was needed for. 

2) How had the IDA planned for those expenses to be paid when they entered into the Donner agreement in November 2021?  Did absolutely no members, legal or financial advisors of either the IDA board or Donner's team tour/inspect the Arena to see its condition before making a deal?  Or did they sign an agreement with Donner to repair and replace this stuff with the full intent to grab $875k of ARP funds from the beginning???  In either case, it's bordering on malfeasance an open apology from the IDA is in order (in the media and at a Legislative meeting for the public to see).

The media/public accepted the cursory "sorry we had technical problems" from Joe Roman to brush off the failure to comply transparency laws that require videos records of IDA meetings.  At some point, the agency should be investigated, in my opinion. But honestly, those of us who've had enough of the shady dealings will just put our efforts and resources into leaving the area rather than fight to rectify the mess.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MsKreed said:

The media/public accepted the cursory "sorry we had technical problems" from Joe Roman to brush off the failure to comply transparency laws that require videos records of IDA meetings.  At some point, the agency should be investigated, in my opinion. But honestly, those of us who've had enough of the shady dealings will just put our efforts and resources into leaving the area rather than fight to rectify the mess.

just the thing though....they SAY its a different Board, however, Mr. Roman was appointed 3 years ago. that puts him at end of Nichols and start of Donner; in both instance critical issues were missed or ignored. Either way he should no longer have anything to do with the IDA or County positions.

further; according to members in the video, the initial $375k was to be matched by the IDA (and apparently has yet to be dispersed) add that to the fresh $500k and its a cool 1.5 million sopped up by the Arena this round.

finally, im wondering who exactly is calling for Legislators to be silent on the sabotage of the building/equipment( since nichols claimed he put over 200k into the building of his own money) 1. someone is FOS, 2. since when did anyone need permission to be a whistle-blower or report potential criminal activity....the only persons any Legislator answers to is voters( in theory)

• Like 1

I assumed he was speaking as a CCIDA member and took it to mean it was the IDA that was told to “leave it alone”.  It hasn’t been clear where that advice/instruction came from, but I inferred that it was legal or administrative advice within the CCIDA rather than any official “report” to law enforcement.

I guess I could see the concern that if they make public claims that hit the press and there’s not enough proof to prosecute and convict (or prevail in civil court), then it’s bad look for the CCIDA. 

Of course, sneakily grifting the largest chunk of ARP funds so far is also a bad look for the IDA, but I guess they think it’s ‘less bad’ than Robbie and his disciples screaming about persecution if nothing stuck.  And they are probably correct....because here we sit discussing this in a quiet setting instead calling for the local media saturation that Robbie would certainly seek. 

As far as any potential liability or bad press.......while no one has directly “named names”, this is at least the third time I’ve heard (stated openly in a public meetings) the assertion that IDA owned equipment was either damaged or missing when IDA took possession of the property after the last tenants left.

No direct accusation is needed if someone’s property is vandalized and/or robbed. They don’t need to name a suspect themselves to report it. Determining what happened is the job of the investigating agency, not the victim. It seems like if the CCIDA is a “victim” of property crime, they could choose between EPD, Sheriff or NYPD to investigate.

• Like 1